"Science is inherently humanist/secular"

What did he mean by this?

He's completely right, everyone wants their personal beliefs and values reflected in society, nobody is going to apply public reason when voting

Imagine a conservative christian or muslim voting for gay marriage, because they think people should make the choice themselves even if they think it's immoral
Not gonna happen

Loosely translated:
>I have a political opinion too you guise, and also I know a word

Are you one of the bait bots sponsored by the mgmt?

I have no idea about what you're talking about. I just wanted to read the opinions around here in regards to those statements.

Science isn't humanist what is he talking about?
It's secular in that science doesn't deal with metaphysics and religion is metaphysics but it doesn't endorse humanism or oppose religion.

He's right about that
also being an agnostic/deist and being religious by following the doctrine of a particular set of religious beliefs is a very different fucking thing

I can see how it is secular but don't see how it is humanist, the latter seems to have more to do with ethics

I don't think that the logical conclusion of one excludes the other. You seek to find Understanding in religion in science (I think) and faith to find consistency in science. At least, until we have a rock solid GUT

Veeky Forums I am disappointed. Here's an actual good answer, you fucking monkeys.

>waah you didn't reaffirm my intellectually jerking off

you're naive as fuck to think that people will vote based on reason when they have personal beliefs that conflict with this

The reply post doesn't answer his point at all. All the last poster said was that religious people can do science. Religious methodology never leads to any sort of concrete truth. The scientific method IS the only method we've ever obtained for gaining knowledge. What "truths" has religious thought ever gained us?

Science does not lead to a concrete truth, either. At least, on the same ontological scales as religion. This is in part because the "bigger" you go in your inquiry, the less stable science is as a methodology. The question:
>What created the universe?
Is just as unverifiable from a religious source as it is from a scientific one, because two key tenets of science (repeatability and observation) are not possible, at least so far, for such an inquiry.

As long as you can measure the effect of the creation of the universe, it is observable.

Science is shit because it is sad. It was better when we was dumb. We thought we was the centers of the Universes, and that when we die we all go to Heavens. Now look at this mutha fucking shit. We not even the center of da galaxy, and when we die we just disappear. All of that fo what? Science is for crackas and is a big ass mistake.

There's know way of knowing if our retrograde speculation is the correct manner of it. Big Bang is an underwhelming theory in that regard, and far from logically complete.

>The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.

>but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.
Except that is a deceiving quotation that makes people believe he is referring to the Christian God when he really means that things make mathematical sense.

science has a philosophical basis of positivism/empiricism. it's possible to do science and not be a full-on positivist, which is what fedoralords like the guy in that post don't understand.

Here's your reply

Religion is not metaphysics

Religions have a specific set of events which they state happened based on dogma

> inb4 "no they don't, Christians are actually 5 or 6 layers deep in metaphors my dude"

He means autistics get off by calling their opinions "science", "logical", "rational", "enlightened", etc....

Clearly he gets all his "science" from popsci.

>as well as a high level of general skepticism

Skepticism is toxic. A skeptic can always find excuses to discard anything that doesn't confirm his biases as illegitimate.

Science is what and how
Religion is why

There, I solved the problem

I wasn't quoting it with the intent of meaning the Christian God.
Depends on which religion m8. Buddhism's pretty legit in terms of there being proof of the physical events occurring.

Inner truths, ie wisdom. Dude how autistic are you?