Space Station Thread

ITT: we discuss the best forms/shapes for space stations and discuss how feasible they are to construct in orbit of Earth or other planets in the system.

To kick things off,

How feasible would it be to use Yoyos to stabilise/control the rotation speed of a rotating station?

If the energy in the system remains approx constant (neglecting friction etc.) - then controlling the moment of inertia of the space station should be able to fine tune the rotational speed right?

Other urls found in this thread:

highfrontier.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=5MwuYkADXCI
youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Köfels_impact_event
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why choose something complex when reaction wheels and control motor gyroscopes are already used for that task and would be a much simpler implementation.
The concept may be workable, but is limited in the range of control that is possible (for instance, you could not reverse the direction of motion), and would require far more space dedicated to it. I'd imagine that more working lets would also be required, making it a larger, more unreliable, and more limited means of achieving the same purpose.

highfrontier.com/

You should check that out. Designing your own stations in that simulation, using real world math, will help you understand what designs/shapes are stable and best to use.

are sattelites even real

This is the first result that popped up for me

>engines

kek

You may as well asked where the mast and sails are.

This might be trolling, but my fears tell me that you are genuine

Anyways, here is one of my favorites

I wish that bigelow would croak so someone competent could really start serious production of the BA330

Loled

please, go on?

Bigelow Aerospace is a company in Las Vegas. They own the patents to inflatable space structures.
The owner, Bigelow, is an old, wacky fellow who believes in aliens, Bigfoot, and the like. The company isn't stable with talent usually leaving soon after they get hired. Lots of horrible stories about working there on glassdoor. Apparently his daughter is more sane, so the idea is that when Mr Bigelow is out of the picture, competent management can take over.

Supposedly, after the BEAM module they made went up to the ISS, a lot of the team that was responsible for it left. So now they have a few capable engineers, some large mockups, and not much else. Hopefully their partnership with ULA to launch the BA330s will go through, but I have my doubts they can even build the things. Plus, the patents expire this year

>tfw he missed his opportunity to call himself Deuce Bigelow Space Gigolo

Pretty cool.

Especially how it determines stability based on moment of inertia and tells you what is stable and unstable.

Question:

Would it be better to have a non-spinning shaft with bearings to spin a toroidal habitat, or would spinning an entire craft be a better option.

On one hand I think fewer moving parts would be better, on the other I wonder how the fuck a spacecraft would be able to dock - gimballed docking connector?

>the patents expire this year
This is good news.

Hopefully shit will blow up (lel) - like what happened with 3d Printing,.

Surprised SpaceX hasn't showed any interest in the concept, at least that we know of.

I don't like this. Keeping a fixed center is just asking for trouble, but the other ring complicates things even further. I hope they turn in the same direction, I have an intuition that rings turning on different directions wouldn't be stable for long.

Elon has stated that SpaceX will only be the railroad - they don't want to have to develop the stuff you need when you "get there".

He wants the cheap flights they enable to allow for other companies to develop everything else needed for settlements and bases and communication and whatever. SpaceX will get you there, but that's all they'll do

inflatable is a meme
If spacex wants bigger habitats they will just build bigger rigid habitats

Since they are still a year or more away from even putting a manned launch to the ISS, theres no hurry

Launch capacity has to come first

He will be doing everything that is an essential part of the mars colony
Which is why he has a battery/solar power company
Which is why he's making electric cars
Which is why he's working on vehicle automation
Which is why he's starting a mining company
Which is why he's making a satellite company

etc

efficient, even if orange

>mars colony

JELLO BABIES!!!

The center wasn't fixed.
Did you see the movie?

Aerostat in Jovian or Venusian atmosphere when?
Both have bands of where pressure and temp are Earth standard. You'd only need a mask to go outside.

Jupiter has huge amounts of radiation
so you wouldn't want to be anywhere near it
Callisto is where you would want to be

Only issue is that theres no atmosphere to provide free delta-v to your rocket.

>Jupiter has huge amounts of radiation
Not in atmo
Only in its van Allen belts.

Besides, even if somehow Jupiter was being bombarded with radiation, a few km of air will protect any person.

Like, if Earth had no magnetic field, there'd be no real increase in radiation on the surface due to the insulating effect of the atmosphere

It seems that there is this battle between 0 gravity and spinning space stations. It seems 0g is better in general, but bad for human health. My understanding is that we don't need to be under "gravity" all the time to prevent health issues. I always though rather than having the space station spin, you could have an inflatable habitat that contains a spinning a spinning centrifuge where people could sleep in. You could use magnetic bearings and you wouldn't have to worry about sealing between a rotating/stationary parts of the station as it's all internal. You don't need a ton of energy since you don't need to spin the entire thing. You could even modulize and add to the space station unlike a spoke and wheel station.

well too be fair the guy behind skylon is pretty nuts too

KSP discussion isn't allowed on /v/ or Veeky Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=5MwuYkADXCI

well there is a difference between Howard Hughes crazy and Bigelow crazy.

that's odd

no it's not
it turned into a shitposting singularity with catdicks, bestiality, snakes, and a lot of autism

How is this remotely different to the rest of the retarded threads and posters of /v/??

It doesn't matter. Ksp doesn't belong on sci either. So fuck off.

hell, you'l find half of that on Veeky Forums as well, the rest on /k/

The whole thing was a single structural unit .. ships docking at the "hub" had to spin slowly to match up with the station. Second ring, under construction,was a solid unit fixed to the first.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8

One advantage of a large spinning station is that you have, say, 1 g on the outer level, you'd have 0 g at the center and a full gradient of everything in between. Whichever amount of g's being pulled is bast for a given application, you have it. If you need MORE than1 g for some application, "lower" a rope (or build boom.)

>Ksp doesn't belong on sci either. So fuck off.
I didn;t see any discussion of KSP as a game )or discussion about it at all) I saw a computer generated image of a design for a space station in a thred about designs for space stations. The software used for the design is not material.

You didn't get pissed of about how belongs on /tv/...

I was glad that when I designed my own then checked all the stats, that everything was correct on the first try. The only trouble I had was getting the parts to snap together properly.

On the version I used, it didn't seem to account for weight distribution inside.

I wonder what a flat-earth person would think of this game

Go to and ask.

No he's bigelow crazy too:
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Köfels_impact_event

He published a book on how an asteroid destroyed sodom and gomorroh. Still he doesn't seem to have glassdoor employment like bigelow does

Mexican scam artist space program does not belong on Veeky Forums