Is 'leaky gut' (also known as 'intestinal permeability') a legitimate medical condition?

Is 'leaky gut' (also known as 'intestinal permeability') a legitimate medical condition?

Other urls found in this thread:

vitalitymagazine.com/article/nd-dnm-whats-the-difference/
the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/46557/title/Stroke-Alters-Gut-Microbiome--Impacting-Recovery/
webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i have a leaky butt

Let's see. Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS is a certified doctor of natural medicine, doctor of chiropractic and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people get healthy by using food as medicine.

all that is fine, but look into his distinctions.
vitalitymagazine.com/article/nd-dnm-whats-the-difference/

I'm not saying he's a fraud, but he's a sensationalist who uses his name to sell shit, like Dr. Oz. im sure some of the things he advocates do work but probably not for the reasons he says. To answer your question, yes leaky gut (increased intestinal permeability) is a legitimate medical condition. But selling people that they have that is a stretch, look at how fucking broad those symptoms are

>these symptoms

Sounds like every person has this nowadays.

I recently read a popsci book on this about microbes, the book claimed it is
But it is popsci so I am not entirely convinced

Time will tell I guess, and others surely are more informed about his

Don't know about 'leaky' but look at neurosciencenews.com for a load of research on the gut biome affecting brain function.

there is the paper by Kramer & Bressan on mental and psychological effects of various microbes etc...
and then there's this
>Stroke Alters Gut Microbiome, Impacting Recovery
>A bidirectional link between the brain and the gut can improve or worsen brain injury in mice, researchers report.
the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/46557/title/Stroke-Alters-Gut-Microbiome--Impacting-Recovery/

Is spamming this over and over a legit shitpost?

webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

>"Leaky gut syndrome" is said to have symptoms including bloating, gas, cramps, food sensitivities, and aches and pains. But it's something of a medical mystery.
>From an MD’s standpoint, it’s a very gray area
>"Leaky gut syndrome" isn't a diagnosis taught in medical school. Instead, "leaky gut really means you’ve got a diagnosis that still needs to be made,”

This.

So far, it is a woo-heavy non-diagnosis.

its one of those things that we're probably gonna find out is much more complicated than previously thought and is implicated in many diseases. similar to the complexity of the gut microbiome

It's not a legitimate diagnosis, but I think there's something in there.

I haven't heard of any evidence that unusual molecules could penetrate the intestine, but I have seen a paper mention that in IBS patients the small intestine becomes irritated by chocolate, caffeine (etc etc I cant remember) and become more permeable to liquids.

FODMAPs also disrupt fluid balance in the intestine. I think there's a link.

its just a scam used to sell probiotics and pother "natural" medicine because muh big pharma is bad

Think you should have read the rest of the posts before gracing us with your wisdom and knowledge.

>I'm not saying he's a fraud, but he's a sensationalist who uses his name to sell shit, like Dr. Oz

Why do these people still have their medical licenses? In my country they'd be in serious trouble if the medical board learned they were spreading this pseudoscience.

>doctor of natural medicine
It's doing exactly what it says on the tin.

because our modern environments destroy our natural bacteria. better buy a probiotic

>Is 'leaky gut' a legitimate medical condition?

if you've been stabbed in the intestines then yes, otherwise no.

People with celiac disease can have this, because gluten triggers zonuline release in their gut. This results in the loosening of tight junctions between epithelial cells, allowing more protein fragments to enter the blood stream.

This is the only mechanism that has been found so far.

i guess it must be your time to take your probiotic pills again

Gut health is the source of most of our illnesses

Is this what they mean by snake oil?

I think you mean 'bad humors'

the small and large intestine are semipermeable, that means that some molecules like wáter are permeable, but metals like calcium or iodine are almost impermeable trought the Wall. and in a full description, permeable, is not in this time, if this were the case, nobody could live because all massive toxins in the large intestine could be absorben and you die within a few hours or even minutes

Number one answer.
Jo su anonsan!