What does Veeky Forums think about Martha Nussbaum?

What does Veeky Forums think about Martha Nussbaum?

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Nussbaum-Butler-Critique-NR-2-99.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I dont know but id like to replace the m with a D and throw a dart ha! in her Buss naum?

Just another obsessed, myopic, crazy person.

This is really close to working. But it has too many parts

The more parts the better always when it comes to amounts of pleasure

I thought there was a chance the naum could pass for 'know what I mean?'

Ya that was the best part. Pretty genius

Decent. I've wrote a few papers that have incorporated her texts.

Pretty hot for a 90 year old.

I feel like the joke's clumsiness is a virtue.

I was actually hoping lit had something constructive to say about Nussbaum.

>converting to Judaism voluntarily

it's not like she'll have to get a circumcision
...right?

I'll bite. Nussbaum has shifted towards becoming a practical philosopher who is invested in topical issues and legal problems, so she gives a more sophisticated liberal perspective on any number of issues-of-the-day than your average liberal commentator will give, but it also renders her kinda boring. I've read three of her books (Fragility of Goodness, Sex and Social Justice, and Liberty of Conscience) and a handful of articles, she's a good writer and is fairly level-headed and respectful of opposing arguments, which is more than can be said of many academics.

I pretty much agree with most of what you've said. I'm just curious, what makes her boring in your opinion? I honestly like the clearness of her insights and because of this I find her work more enjoyable to digest academically.

She looks like the kind of woman who marathons entire seasons of CSI and/or Law and Order while just in her pyjamas. Her model of intellectualism comes from reading a lot of trashy crime novels. Basically I want to marry her.

kek, this post read like a paraprosdokian joke.

>"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks."

I guess "boring" may have been too strong a word, what I mean is more that she doesn't say anything that is highly revelatory or produces a "really makes you think" moment the way other philosophers do. It's nothing to do with her clear writing, which I too enjoy. Some of her arguments occasionally sound like they're designed to address specific legal or political issues, so whenever that issue passes from public debate, it makes those passages seem dated because most people don't care about that issue anymore and just accept that the matter is mostly settled. It's one of the drawbacks of being a practical philosopher, I have the same issue with the little that I've read by Peter Singer.

People differ on practical/applied ethics so it makes sense.

I feel like the gravity of the situations in Singer's writings at least make things more intense for me.

bump

What are some of her major points, beliefs, any controversial debatable beliefs/thoughts?

From what I've read of her works she often seems to be focused on issues such as Justice. She argues pretty strongly against moral relativism as well.

I remember my prof assigning her essay on literature as make-believe and then ripping it apart in his discussion but i didn't read it because I was too busy getting high and I only half remember lecture because I'm a shit

Who was the professor and which essay of hers was it?

Prof Josh Landy, a philosophy and French lit professor at Stanford. The essay was "Finely Aware and Richly Responsible." You can find it on jstor

>Prof Josh Landy,
Thanks, he seems pretty patrician and so do you.

Yeah dude no worries. The class was called Philosophy & Literature, an intro class to reading fiction (and film) kind of as-philosophy, kind of with-respect-to certain philosophers. I took it a few years ago now so don't remember it well, but Landy was the real deal. He wrote a book called "How to do Things with Fiction" that I've always thought lit would love, but he's not famous and i kinda feel like a shill, ya know?

Only thing I've read of hers is the article where she BTFO Judith Butler to an absurd extent. Made the whole gender-fluidity paradigm irrelevant even before it gained the popularity that it has today.

Read it here:
faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Nussbaum-Butler-Critique-NR-2-99.pdf

Not a shill if he is what you make him out to be and is underrated by everyone in the field. I'll have to look into that text and his other works, especially if he holds things against Nussbaum.

Anyone who BTFO's Butler is good in my book. I forgot to mention how she wrecks radical lefty academics.

Nussbaum can get a little too caught up in liberal pieties, but it is refreshing that she sticks to liberalism and rejects more radical politics and trends of critique or theory. She's kind of a traditional humanities professor in that respect.

>it's not like she'll have to get a circumcision
>...right?
Why, because her action was a spiritual one?

Does anyone know any specific or general point or topic she made or spoke on? What are some most important things to consider? What is the point of philosophy? What are the goals and desires of the human race? Whos in charge, why, how, what are they doing? What should be done, how do you know, how can it be known, can it be known it can or cannot be known?

Read some of the above contents that address the scope and focus of her many texts. Again, she is more of an applied philosopher so sorry if she doesn't touch on what questions of grand design that might tickle your fancy sir.

She developed the idea of "capabilities" as an assessment of human development together with Amartya Sen; that's probably her best-known contribution. Other than that, she focuses on specific issues relating to her conception of global justice; has focused on current issues in India and multiple books on what university humanities departments should be as well. She's very practically oriented, so she doesn't really have "key concepts" the way someone like Hegel, Heidegger, or Foucault does.

Bump