Home schooling

Is home schooling, or self-schooling infinitely better than state/external schooling?

I think Socrates was right. Nothing can be taught. The idea of standardised education is a falsity tying down those that are interested, with those that are uninterested making both medicore.

Look at the great minds of the 20th century.

Feynman : Self taught trigonometry, calculus, electricity via experiment.

Einstein: Self taught basically everything geometry, calculus.

The idea that someone can be taught something by dragging them along at an averaged pace through a subject is laughable. No one can be taught anything at such a pace.

Other urls found in this thread:

pokemongodeathtracker.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Those that are curious, have their curiosity stamped out of them. Those that understand the material are bored into lethargy, those that don't understand the material and dragged through and have their ego crushed to make sure they never understand the material.

It's better academically but it's worse socially because you're crippling your child's social development. He won't go through the rites of passages such as his first kiss, sex, trips with his friends and so on. But he will learn more.

This. Trying to get my kid into school now but wife is fundamentalist about this crap. Just want to give the kid a chance at a normal life with friends.

You can still socialize with other children when you're homeschooled. You're just not stuck in a public institution most of the time during the periods when you learn.

why are you giving examples of people who went to school voluntarily (college)? I go to college and I don't think it is tying me down. I learn shit in classes and if I feel like I also learn shit at home. Yeah sometimes teachers are fags who think they're the shit and make jokes instead of teaching but there are also a lot of things you can't learn alone

At school, kids are all grouped together in the same place, interacting regularly on the same schedule, where they all care about relatively the same things. Social development and interaction with peers is happening around the clock, especially in the age of the smart phone. If you think you can mimick socializing by sending Bobby to baseball practice twice a week, you're in trouble, unless your family is remarkably well adjusted. Even then, your children will still miss out on the social dynamics of crowds, especially in institutions, which will became a big disadvantage in the workplace, and I don't know how you can overcome this unless you have a community of homeschoolers dedicated to stomping out this issue.

I really want to homeschool my kids so they don't become brainlets but I just don't know when to do it without damaging my kids' social abilities. Kindergarten-1st Grade, then skip until 5th grade-6th grade, then re-enter high school at 9th grade through 12th grade in accelerated classes? I don't know.

Social abilities are a meme. It just lets your kid mingle with the kids of the parents that give 2 shits about their kids and how they're raised (generally corrupting your kid aswell).

Baseball practice, a neighborhood friend, exposure to the internet and time with parents is probably all the kid needs to grow up well adjusted.

In this day and age though teachers are becoming less and less relevent. There's probably only a handful of topics in the world that you can't learn by yourself on the internet, and those aren't taught in 99% of universities either.

I don't get why don't you people just do both things.

I mean, you could certainly send your children to school and let them socialize with their peers while at the same time teaching them more advanced stuff on your own.

I used to go for roughly 8 hs. a day five days of the week to school when I was a kid and I still had time to read at home, which is where I got my interest for science from.

You could even give them books to read, or send them to any sport's practices, or make them pick up an instrument, so they'll have a pretty complete education.

i'd be worried about my kid being an autisoid

Because by the time he's done being taught 'math' by literal "i stopped taking math after 9th grade" primary school teachers he's already got it in his head that

Math = some confusing thing that no one understands.

By that point it's just too late to try to explain it.

"here let me show you some.. math"..

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo"...

No wonder we have a shit stem system.. kids most impressionable early years they are being taught by literal STEM drop outs (primary school teachers).

Read the experiences of people who get home-schooled. Even if they become well-educated and independent, their social skills are impaired at least partially because they don't know how to navigate and handle the "high school group mentality" for the lack of a better word. For whatever reason, high school dynamics persist well into adulthood, so it goes to figure that if you want your children to have less stumbling blocks, find a way to get them socially adjusted. Being an outsider won't be cured through baseball practice twice a week, like I said earlier.

Oh boy, I can imagine the excitement of a kid who gets to go to school twice per day. Even if the second half of the day, at home, is enjoyable, it's still work for a kid. I want time for a kid to be a kid, you know? Unfortunately, school takes up viable time, energy, and resources. This is my attempt to strike a balance so by the time my children enter high school (where they can actually have an advanced track accommodated with little risk of social rejection... at least at a school worth its salt), they'll be well equipped for both school and life.

so have your kid go to the park or to clubs to spend time with friends
you do not need to send them to the marxist indoctrination center to get friends, if anything, it'd be a bad idea to do that, since all you'd get is drug addled degenerates

That is one way of socializing children, yes. This is not how children need to socialized, though. I don't know how you might categorize my experiences, but I went to elementary school k-5, and then was homeschooled until I went to college. I had regular friends who were public schooled, and a cadre of homeschool friends who I saw relatively often. I had a job and a girlfriend when I was 18, and I haven't had any significant problems socializing with others. I admit that I am not the party type, or anything like that, but other than that, I don't usually have problems interacting with other people.

If you are being homeschooled by a crazy Christian household, I can see why it would be damaging, but it's not all that difficult to be well adjusted and homeschooled. I don't think being around mediocre or shitty children, whose interactions with your children you cannot control, is a great idea for a kid, even if you might say kids need to learn how to deal with shitty people.

>high school dynamics persist well into adulthood
You say that like it's not a despicable thing. Homeschool mentality is pure intellectual cancer and anyone truly interested in the pursuit of truth would happily trade social skills for knowledge.

This thread is making me have mixed views. On one hand I wasn't home schooled but I still ended up having problems socializing with people in and outside of school when I was growing up because of problems with low self esteem and anxiety but I still managed to make friends even if most of them did not go to the same high-school as me. I think this is something you should really look into. I really do feel that teachers are becoming less and less relevant. Maybe there is a movement going on somewhere where education is more independent. I always imagined school eventually turning into a computer lab where kids have to watch lecture videos instead listening to a teacher.

I went to public school and I never made any friends and I still haven't made any friends. I am now 24 years old. I sure wish I went to public school to learn how to socialize...oh hold on a second...I did go to public school where I couldn't make any friends.

I was homeschooled from 3rd grade but still lazy af until sophmore year of high school. I would say I have decent social skills but I get annoyed easily by how asinine people can be over petty shit like details of fashion or thoughts on who has the newest phone. I took my education more seriously in my sophmore year because I found a reason to pursue knowledge. Being an extrovert was a big problem since I was at home most of the time with my relatives who were asleep until 2pm every day and I was alone from 8am to that point.

I guess you're the only other one here that was actually homeschooled and isn't sperging trying to make conjectures about whether or whether not their kids will become social potatoes.

The short of it is this: Learning to learn is the most valuable skill. There are homeschoolers that are self-taught, just like there are public schoolers that are self-taught. The only benefit to homeschooling is instead of running around trying to suck a Bud down, join lunch club, or do band for their resume, your kid has all that time to build a fission reactor in their garage.

A high IQ can compromise for social skills, when necessary, but ask yourself:
Do you want your kid to care about space, genes, chemistry, Feynman, spacetime, or whatever else nerdy shit Veeky Forums sucks itself off to, or do you want them to play flute, watch football, buy overpriced leather jackets, and take some girl to a dance that doesn't even matter, only to go back to their high school reunion after a business degree to find Tom still works at Staples?

>home schooling or self-schooling infinitely better
Nothing is "infinitely" anything, faggot

Living is infinitely better than dying.

God is infinitely powerful, good, etc.

I was home schooled my entire life before I started college at 18 (21 now, in uni completing B.S.). If I my throw two cents in;

Building good social skills isn't terribly hard, just find a sport your kid likes to play and sign them up to play for a nearby club. I did this and met my best friend this way.

I believe whether one form of learning is better than the other is subjectively determined. But what I've noticed is that I'm not as "burnt out" with my subjects as my peers, going to classes/studying/writing is enjoyable an not a chore to do. Of course, I studied and learned what I wanted to when I was in highschool, so take this with a grain of salt.

That's the incorrect usage of the verb is. You should only use it with things that exist.

No, it is not better. In most cases it is far, far worse. Most parents are not qualified to teach their children the entire array of subjects necessary in order for their child to be on even footing with publicly educated children. If they don't obtain outside help, tutors, etc., the child will remain uneducated in these areas to their detriment.

Self taught isn't the same thing as home-schooled. Arguably it is a case against home-schooling that someone had to teach themselves something because better teachers were unavailable. One should not want to reduce the pool of teachers to the smallest possible (home-schooled) as a remedy for inadequate teachers.

If you're not a total brainlet, you don't need specialized teachers to teach a typical high school curriculum, or even a more accelerated curriculum until you start hitting collegiate levels. Maybe if you're one of those creationist faggots, then homeschooling may be an issue.

I did.

It's not the same. In school you learn to deal with humans in social institutions.

Having a couple of personal friend is not a good substitute.

In school you learn to deal with all the ugly facets of humanity. You learn to deal with bullies and wimps, cowards and backstabber, liars and cut-throat competitive people. You learn to expect disappointment and you learn about the limitations of social relationships and the failings of human empathy.

I have no clue how you would navigate the world without such experiences.

I went to a private all boys school and even I had trouble adjusting to the broader human experience when I went to university and started meeting all kinds of other people.

>home school

Only if it's something where professionals have already prepared the curriculum. You need experts to make curriculum or else how will you know what you will need or not need.

If you want your kid to excel in school you put them in a private/charter school, and you get them tutors. Not generic idiot tutors trying to teach how to pass exams but like professional mathematicians who can explain to them how shit works. You encourage your kid to join peer groups that work in that field.

You can only become an expert by learning from other experts. Einstein was not self taught whatsoever, he went to university and he met weekly with a group of other mathematicians to bounce ideas off each other while he was at that patent office.

> Never had any firsts as a kid
> Still had to endure school and uni
> In the end it doesn't even matter

Such is life

Home schooling doesn't mean self teaching you imbecile

The kid probably is gonna hate subjects just as much if not more

Couldn't have said it better myself. I want to homeschool my kids, but skipping the school experience entirely is just a bad idea. I'm going to see if a hybrid experience would be a good idea.

A lot of homeschooled people get taught to self-teach. Not every homeschooling experience is about teaching brainlet creationism.

>In school you learn to deal with all the ugly facets of humanity. You learn to deal with bullies and wimps, cowards and backstabber, liars and cut-throat competitive people. You learn to expect disappointment and you learn about the limitations of social relationships and the failings of human empathy.

Right, and thats so valuable, the biggest problem with school is how much math they teach, and how little it resembles the prison system. They ought to allocate kids to gangs and give them raw materials to make shanks so they learn more about the ugly facets of humanity.

What a great idea user.

Way to miss the point you utter retard. If you can't replicate advanced social skills outside of school, you're hampering your children's success in the future. It's a trade off you have to consider.

I think that ultimately, having a general learning facility is the best option. It is just that we need to reorganize resources. Now we are in the age of the internet and there are free books about everything, specially elementary knowledge. Therefore, school needs to be divided in 3 sections:

1> Initial education
Here school will stay the same. A normal classroom, where everyone is taught the basics of numbers, counting, reading, colors, etc. But after they know these elementary things then it should be accepted that even kids can learn on their own. Therefore:

2> Guided education
Now you can join clubs, attend a self study library or join special classes taught by teachers every so often. All so that you can prepare, on your own, to take tests that are given monthly to students who sign up for them. Each test grants a certificate of knowledge, and once you have enough certificates of knowlegde you can trade them for a degree. For example, you could study trig for a while and then pass the trigonometry test to earn your knowledge certificate in trigonometry. Get the algebra I, algebra II, geometry, algebra and calculus certificates and you get the general mathematics certificate, which should be mandatory for graduation to everyone. Naturally, there should be other mandatory prerequisites, but the point is that you can mostly fill up your time with your own personal choices.

3> Pre-university
Students who have succesfully traded their certificates for a degree can now talk with the school and use connections to land university admissions. You would ask your school to send your knowledge certificates to a university, they would respond, and if you miss something then you prepare to take the required tests and then try again. Until you get accepted into a university and move on.

home school kids still deal with all that, it's not like they live in a cave and don't have friends or play in team sports

>Each test grants a certificate of knowledge, and once you have enough certificates of knowlegde you can trade them for a degree
Holy shit I would have loved this in high school

Yeah. That is technically what happens with universities and credits.

I don't know why schools have not changed similarly.

> advanced social skills
> public school

Stop user, you are embarrassing yourself.

Yeah but one problem with this approach, is that students can just choose the easiest courses. It makes degrees a weaker signal of academic performance, since smart kids who take hard classes and dumb kids who take easy classes are on equal footing.

It wouldnt be so much of a problem if schools were just harder and more focused on education, but they arent. Most people just want a degree for employability reasons, and most schools arent noble academies.

You didn't read stage 3. You directly send universities your certificates of knowledge and they accept you based on that. Getting the high school degree would be mostly ceremonial as even after obtaining it, you can keep getting new knowledge certificates.

And of course, if all your knowledge certificates are garbage then don't be surprised when even Poodunk Community College rejects you.

>Stop user, you are embarrassing yourself.
You're only digging yourself a deeper hole by revealing yourself to be a total autist with no social competence.

Not nearly to the intensity that people in schools do. Like I said before, going to the baseball field twice a week and hanging out with a few friends is going to do fuckall to mimic the social environment found in high school that is going to set the tone for future real world socialization in the future.

But how does a break down of your certificate solve that problem? I could imagine one school having a philosophy course thats baloney, and another super rigorous one that is very demanding. Both might be listed as "Philosophy 101" or whatever.

Every school will have easiest courses, which may only have a loose connection with certain subject matter.

>He won't go through the rites of passages such as his first kiss, sex, trips with his friends and so on

I never experienced these things. Is Veeky Forums filled with normies now?

Well, that is what the SAT is for anyways. Don't pretend that even today most classes are a fucking joke.

Does anyone here remember... fuck... I can't say it without laughing... do you remember...
HIGH SCHOOL MATH?

Fuuuucking hell that shit was a joke. And the brainlets thought it was hard KEK.

Not sure what you are saying. I do think schools today are in poor condition. Too many people go, and standards are too low, and no one is really gaining anything, except a VERY expensive indicator of minimal competence for future employers.

Fuck man. It may be too late for friends and love but you can still have sex. Take a couple hundred from that PhD stipend and use them on a prostitute.

I used to be autismo like you and let me tell you, sex helps you escape from that. Just do it.

Exactly. Classes today are a joke. My system would not fix that, but it would make it an overall less retarded system.

I mean I remember back then we had two math classes. "Core" and "Advanced". But at the end, the one you took did not make it to the degree. Basically, you took the advanced only for fun and to make fun of your friends who were in core.

(And advanced math was still fucking piss easy brainlet tier cancer. Literally no number theory?)

Kek Ikr. Who the fuck is this guy?

I didnt get my first kiss in high school. I didnt get laid in high school. Speaking of which, who did?

I don't want my kids to end up on Veeky Forums.

I did all those things, but I never fucked or kissed a girl from my school.

I was autismo and already had a bad reputation, so I started looking outside. I managed to lose my vcard with a 14 year old bitch from another state I met online when I was 16, and then I got another girl online at 17 who was far away, but no so far so I could see her regularly.

Subjective

I forgot to add that I went to public school. Anyway I ended up being social retarded. I think that the crucial years of development are the first years of your existence. My parents did not give me some stimulus in my early years and when I was totally fucked they thought that public school will magically solve everything.

How about instead of certificates, you can score points in different categories
The more gamified the better people will learn

>The more gamified the better people will learn

> Believing this

>Not learning from Pokemon Go
>People literally died because the game screen told them to go somewhere

Tell a kid that if they kill their parents they get 20 Mario sunshine sonic coins or whatever and they'll do it.

Do you actually think Pokemon Go results in any real education. I am trying hard to find your point.

My point is that people literally went to blindly die because some pikacoins where in the woods or something.

Change pokemon with trigonometry and you've got yourself a mass of kids who will literally die to learn about triangles.

>He won't go through the rites of passages such as his first kiss, sex, trips with his friends and so on.

Uuurm... wait, I had to go throught that?

When does it starts?

3rd grade

>My point is that people literally went to blindly die because some pikacoins where in the woods or something.

Thats the worst point Ive ever heard.

No one has gone on a suicide march playing pokemon go. You cant make people go on suicide marches for trigonometry.

Anyone with no social skills can never pursue truth because they are incapable of working effectively in a research group.

>No one has gone on a suicide march playing pokemon go.
pokemongodeathtracker.com/

> You cant make people go on suicide marches for trigonometry.

Oh, yes we fucking could.

>THERE IS A RARE SHINY PIKACHU AT THE LIBRARY, THE MATH SECTION
>OH, THERE HE IS. OH NO! BUT TO BEAT HIM YOU NEED TO PROVE THE IDENTITY SIN^2 + COS^2 = 1 USING ONLY A SKETCH OF THE UNIT CIRCLE WOOOW!!!!!

Kids will eat it like hot pancakes.

Walking to a random place uses a lot less energy than solving a math equation. Nobody but autists would find this game fun. The only person you would save is Chrischan/Sonichu from living a life of an absolute degenerate.

I've been wanting to put together some kind of portfolio for all the stuff I do but I highly doubt it'll be taken seriously because I don't have a degree in anything. Dropped out of college because I wasn't a fan and just learned everything I could via videos, trial and error, open courses, torrented books, etc.

Should I still bother to submit my stuff even if they want a degree for jobs?

The social experience in the school is overrated. I learned a lot more at work, about how people are. Peers do not differ much from beginning to end of school years.

5 days of sports practice. In the afternoons go out to play with the street kids and on weekends to a workshop or club or Sunday school.

>people who work in research groups have great social skills
>you need social skills to decompose a research problem and divide the labor
>getting homeschooled means the same as being autistic

>Most parents are not qualified to teach their children the entire array of subjects necessary in order for their child to be on even footing with publicly educated children.

your right, no parent is that fucking retarded

>HURR DURR I KNOW ALGEBRAIC EQUATIONS AND READ 1984, THANK GOD WE SPEND 50K PER KID FOR THIS WONDERFUL HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION