Why are American textbooks so expensive? They're like 100-400 American pesos each...

Why are American textbooks so expensive? They're like 100-400 American pesos each, while the same books translated to other languages cost about 10-20 $. Why's that? Is English language copyrighted, or do Americans think the more expensive the book the more better it is?

It's because the publishing corporations collude with each other and are protected by the government, forming a soft oligopoly. Whenever the college bubble bursts expect a normalization of prices. Also as an aside, the authors of these texts generally receive dick all. University admins are in on the scam too, requiring periodic texts to be published by their professors.

I download and print all the books I need.
Fuck Springer and fuck white males.

>step one: get a Kindle for $80
>step two: enjoy free textbooks from libgen.io
There is literally no reason to pay for textbooks.

It's cause they can charge Americans more. They simply buy the books without complaining about the price.

Because the state back student loans, so this allowed for a corrupt cartel of universities to collude with publishers in order to jack up the prices of textbooks since the loans to get them will always be granted.

US congress I believe made a ruling that 'global' editions are allowed to be bought in the US though, and they only cost 10% of the list price so often like $30 or so. Publishers can still scheme though to produce university specific books, and often many do with 'custom' exercises and things or even worse a proprietary online system where the student must hand in homework through the publisher.

The day the government says we're not guaranteeing student loans anymore and privatizing it, the day that this stops as universities will have to compete with each other and part of that will be low cost materials they freely have access to change in order to keep competitive.

Also, Dover is a publisher that isn't nearly as covetous as the rest of the publishers and often their texts are dirt cheap in comparison. Of course not many universities will use Dover though because they don't get kickbacks from the publisher.

What is my libgen my friend?

stop supporting jews

It's not about the text, it's about the online codes you need in order to log into Pearson and get graded or do tests. Yes, many schools actually force their foolish students to pay for this.

Most of these texts are now online only, so you effectively rent it and don't own it, and "custom" so you can't get an accurate libgen copy anyway. Total scam, the day to day job in textbook sales is just bribing professors with expense accounts and referral money.

Need to cull the middle men

Because Americans got money + that financial aid given by the gov desu.

And don't study courses that are going to be expensive, like, my English course I am taking now was like 46 bucks but I got it all on Amazon for 35.

>Buying the textbook instead of printing it or using a fotocopy
Wew lad

>buying textbooks
Nigger what the fuck are you DOING?

We don't have a choice you retard, do you even think before posting

>libgen
>printing
>fotocopies
wew, sure is poorfags in here

too bad kindles are shite for pdfs

>Needlessly spending extra money on a textbook you will never read again after college.

Please remove yourself from the gene-pool.

getting scammed by colluding businesses is not precisely the definition of smart

Im a virgin so as long as im the one who penetrates im ok with it

>Professor scans copy of expensive text book for you and has it available at the copy shop for a tenth of the price

Uguu~~

The problem Im having isnt textbook price. You can dl them or find them cheap elsewhere. The issue is fucking forcing me to purchase access codes for all my retarded core classes so I can do my homework.

>American textbooks so expensive
...bcoz captive market, just as with
American pharmaceuticals. Yes, it's
a racket, but your bracket can hack it.

Use koreader
I use a kobo with koreader and it's great for pDFs