DUMB QUESTIONS YOU LEGIT WANT ANSWERS TO

DUMB GENERAL

This thread is for fucking mongs like myself who have stupid questions.

Question 1, if ice is a dense, more concentrated form of water, how does it rise in water?

Question 2. If oxygen is required to sustain fire and plants are the source of oxygen, why are there no plants on the sun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7pUADoo58
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Answer 1: Water is unique in that it is actually less dense as a solid than a liquid. That is why is floats.

Answer 2: Because the Sun isn't made of fire.

The sun is made of lava dude not fire

Explain to me D'alambert's principle of virtual displacement.

Does nothing else expand when frozen? Only h20?

I don't think so, but there could be exceptions.

WHY do we expect the graviton to exist? My understanding of general relativity is that gravity isn't a force, but is just how objects move in curved space. In that sense, gravitational attraction isn't an interaction between two objects, and so I would naively think would not lead to a force mediating particle.

I was under the impression that all fields had force-carrying particles. Like the photon for EM fields, and those bosons I'm forgetting for the strong and weak nuclear forces.

It would have to be another strongly-polar molecule, because you need a crystalline structure.

Right, but from the perspective of GR, gravity isn't a field at all!

Mass is though. The graviton would basically be the force-carrier for mass.

Its kind of a chicken-egg problem I think. Does space-time curve because of mass or is mass caused by curves in space-time?

There are a few others. Bismuth and gallium come to mind. Bismuth in particular is used in alloys meant for precision casts, where a little expansion as it freezes makes sure that all the details of a mold are filled.

What is entropy? I know that "disorder" is the meme definition and it has something to do with microstates. Are microstates basically all of the different possibilities for energy to be dispersed among each molecule?

How do I specify a domain and codomain for when I'm looking for certain solutions of a function in Mathematica ? I'm looking for positive integers to positive integers within a specific interval

I don't understand how a particle can be a wave when its not being observed.

I get that "observation" as its used in the Copenhagen interpretation just means "interacts with something". But how can the wave-form ever not be collapsed? The entire universe is full of force-carrying fields. For instance, how come you can do the double-slit experiment with electrons on Earth without the electrons interacting with the Earth's magnetic field and having their wave-functions collapsed immediately?

General Relativity is not concerned with the particles that carry forces, or any forces besides gravity. The Standard Model (the current state of the art of quantum mechanics) explains the other three forces with a variety of particle and field mechanics, but it does not concern itself with gravity or spacetime curvature. The expectation is that there is a way to bridge the two (they're describing the same universe after all), and the general assumption is that there is a way to describe relativistic gravity in terms of particles in a way that meshes with the Standard Model (the Standard Model is itself the result of previous mergers like that). There are in fact theories that do this already. The problem is that none (so far) make testable predictions that can be used to distinguish them from each other or Relativity.

this is a blue board

There are some variations depending on the kind of entropy you're talking about. Thermodynamic entropy is thermal energy that can not be converted into work, and this roughly corresponds to energy being evenly distributed around the system in question. Information entropy is roughly a measure of how much data can be compressed losslessly, and involves randomness without exploitable patterns. This is related to thermodynamic entropy (the information it takes to perfectly describe a high-entropy system is greater than for a low-entropy system) and the statistical entropy involving microstates (a high entropy system has a larger number of possible microstates than a low-entropy system). A microstate is a particular configuration of matter and energy that meets some macroscopic criterion like a particular pressure, volume, and mass-energy content. For example, there are a lot of ways that the molecules in a liter of air can be arranged at STP. There are rather fewer ways if the air is liquified.

Why do caterpillars fall from trees? Are they trying to switch trees? Aren't they certainly dead walking in the ground?

Bump

>DUMB QUESTIONS YOU LEGIT WANT ANSWERS TO
Why does this thread exist simultaneously with /sqt/?

What's the voice of thought of a mute-deaf person? Also, in what language do they think?

I'm going to guess it's because they're stupid

what percentage of cars on the road have been used for sexual exploits.

seriously for some reason this question ive always had. Im not even sex obsessed or anything, just a question

/an/on here, I don't think there's really a good answer for this,my best answer for this would be that they are conserving energy, if they are done with their food source up on a tree, it's better to just let gravity do it's job instead of crawling all the way down.
This kind of makes sense since caterpillars, along with many other larval stages, have to be constantly feeding.
Or they could just be losing their grip...

Here's a /pol/ version.
Imagine a nigger doing some work for you. You calculate how you need to pay him for his hours, but in the end it's just 0 because niggers don't work.

That's probably more an explanation for virtual work.

in time dilation, I understand why tests showed more time passing on a satelite than on earth from the satellite's perspective.

But why is more time not passing on earth than on the satelite from the satelite's perspective?

You're violating copyright law by posting this. That is all.

Isn't the Higgs boson the force carrier for mass?

educational purposes + limited excerpt-> fair use

They don't. That's why they're deaf.

Oh. Sorry then. I forgot about the education clause.

How do I stop being afraid that a vacuum metastability event will happen during my lifetime?

Information should flow free to everyone everywhere. Paying for information and protecting the market are a form of violence, not science.

hi everyone. how can i make a complex number looping turns to the right ?

eg.

(1,0) # going to the right (the base direction)
f( (1, 0) ) -> (0, 1) # going down
f( f( (1, 0) ) ) -> (-1, 0) # going left
f( f( f( (1, 0) ) ) ) -> (0, -1) # going top
f( f( f( f( (1, 0) ) ) ) ) -> (1, 0) # back at going to the right

i want the series

(1, 0) -> (0, 1) -> (-1, 0) -> (0, -1) -> (1, 0) -> ...

What happen when divide by the zero???

or the series

for x: 1, 0, -1, 0, 1, 0, -1, 0, ...
for y: 0, 1, 0, -1, 0, 1, 0, -1, ...

youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7pUADoo58

What is the reason a brain would romantize suicide?

Could you effectively lose weight by drinking cold 5°C, since the body has to heat that water up to a 30°C+ by spending 1 kcal of energy to heat it up by 1°C a gram?

Let's do the math. You'd drink normally 2 litres of water every day, the body has to heat it up by 30°C. That's 2000 * 30 = 60kcal. What's wrong? Even if the water was slightly warmer, maybe 10-15°C?

If men are from mars
and
women are from venus
where do trannies come from?

Gonna take a bit of explaining ,

To start with romance its definition being

>a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.

When it comes to suicide I can guess the brain doesn't explicitly love it like you would see in a romantic relationship how ever the emphasis can be placed on excitement and mystery but more on that in a second.

First I must address when your brain develops a form of romance there is an attraction so the brain will have a attraction to the concept (note the excitement and mystery) so it can be the anticipation before they take there own life and the mystery of why they are doing it and what lead them to do this; depression, anger or loss of someone.

As well when your brain romanticize something it only focuses on the good, this is especially seen with ex partners looking back at the relationship and only seeing the good like the meals they had and the long walks in the park ect.

IThe same will be with suicide. if they use a gun you won't visualize a loud bang with a man having his face blown of, no you will cut out that bit for effect and see it more as "bang" then everything goes to black, or jumping of a building you only see them jump not the splat at the end or someone hanging them self you will have them push over a stool and the rope will become tensed you won't visualize a struggle of the rope choking them. But I think you get the picture but my point is it makes it quick and easy no fuss, struggle or mess.

And this is what adds to the romance as blood and guts to most people aren't romantic but instead the mystery of suicide and death

possibly as a coping mechanism to extreme stimuli, and then later on as an unhealthy fixation, in which one considers reactions and consequences for one's death, as well as interprets the fixation as a true subliminal desire, which is then subject to confirmation bias as the individual constantly has this belief re-enforced. In these suicide dreams people imagine closure to interpersonal insecurity and arguments, vindication from one's criticism, vengeance to callous or abusive acquaintances, etc. etc.

The mind jumps to these positives due to
A. funeral rituals in western culture being generally set in forgiving moods. Any experience one has with death will likely include the respect shown to the dead, which can contrast starkly with the lack of respect shown to the individual at present; and
B. The mind's inability to comprehend such an unnatural action means that it does not appear it would be worse than current negative stimuli.

This, of course, does not apply to the realm of legitimate mental illness, in which there are no rational lines of thought being drawn, as well as not applying to the cases of individuals in truly dire circumstances, physically or otherwise.

Hope that helped.

The accumulation of space dust from both planets.

The gender they wish to change to is based of the lowest percent of space dust from the corresponding planet i.e. 64% mars= man with female brain and visa versa

is that whats turning the freaking frogs gay?

in relativity, always look for asymmetries in accelerations.

the satellite, which is in orbit around earth, is accelerating because of it's curved path. the earth, which is in orbit around the sun, is accelerating a whole lot less.

As water molecules are very polar, when it forms a solid it creates a crystalline structure just like salt does. This structure actually takes up more space than free-floating molecules of water do, hence why ice expands rather than contracts when it forms, and hence why ice is buoyant in water: it's less dense than liquid water.

As for question two, the sun isn't actually made of fire. It's really just one giant, eternal nuclear fusion reaction.

why is it that some metals like zinc or magnesium are used as lubricants or included heavily in greases and oils? Why is zinc oilier than something like iron?

PARTICLE FIELDS, SON

to add to this, most insects are impervious to falls. carterpillars too, to a lesser degree (being a squishy sack of guts does not help) so unless it has the really bad luck of hitting a rock or the tree trunk, the leaves and dirt will help it land.

it's interesting how things that could kill a human such as tripping and failling aren't a problem when you are an insect

Naa, that's due to space glitter being added into the mix.