How do you stop your mind from wandering when reading dense and complicated material?

How do you stop your mind from wandering when reading dense and complicated material?

Other urls found in this thread:

lsc.cornell.edu/study-skills/cornell-note-taking-system/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

conciously remind yourself not to

Take extensive notes.

Write while you read. Only way. Anyone who says "wow if you can't pay attention without making notes you're retarded" is retarded. Don't listen to them.

What kind of notes? How do you structure it for remembering.

Adderall

Go through and read it once while underlining sections just purely for the content. Then rest on the information a while before going back. Once you return to the text read through mainly just the underlined passages and highlight the most important pieces of information.

buddhism

Find the misunderstood word and clear it.

source?

lol what? Tell me more, use some additional words.

>source?

Some science group. I can't remember.

Not very helpful.

I'm sitting on con law right now. Everybody has been telling me to skip the emanual outlines and just use the E&E's to practice.

Try it out and you'll be surprised at how well it works.

I'm currently reading a really long and pretty dense book at the moment and I'm not sure if it's difficult or I'm simply not enjoying it.

I am only reading about twenty pages a day, if that. My mind keeps wandering. I don't want to stop, but I still have over 1000 pages to go.

meditate everytime you feel distracted until it doesnt happen anymore. or adderall

I am assuming he means that without the source he can't examine the system as a whole, and it is therefore of limited use to him.

E&Es?

He has trouble understanding Constitutional Law and finds it "dense and complicated material"

www.scientologyhandbook . org/study/sh1_1a.htm

Not sure why you are sharing some meme religion with me.

Take short breaks.

Veeky Forums is a Scientology board.

Examples & Explanations, published by Aspen. Having gone through law school, I thought it was far and away the best supplement for most classes.

Thanks. I'm planning on taking the LSATs and applying to a few law schools soon. Any other advice or readings you would suggest for me?

My mind wanders with simple material.

/fedora

E&Es arent going to help you with that. I used powerscore bibles and did practice tests from 20 on. Got a 172, not perfect but good enough for where I wanted to go

I should have specified I was looking for general texts.I will have a small gap between my undergraduate degree and law school so I was tried to get a suggested reading list starting.

Oh, gotcha. I would honestly suggest not reading anything for law school, other than understanding the basics of how government works. It won't get you any further ahead, and you'll burn out more quickly.

Read for pleasure until law school starts. The biggest problem about law school reading is that you don't genuinely care about it.

lots of adderall

It's the source retard

That is what reading for pleasure is for me though.

bump

Bulletpoints with page number reference

I have the same conlaw casebook
if you seriously cant skim the 20 pages per class per day that you're assigned to survive getting cold called I'm truly sorry.

Who is the author on the larger middle book? The picture is slightly blurry so I'm having trouble making the detail out.

We get assigned 60 a class brah.

That's all?

Oh shit, I forgot to mention the 200 other pages for that day too. Man, I suck at this law school thing. Better just kill myself.

Do it then? 260 pages still isn't much to complain about dude.

law books are hella expensive, I bet that's close to $1,200 right there

I am! I was just trying to find advice on how to read and manage learning that much information. If there were any tips that I didn't know.

You are doing it? I was talking about your sarcastic comment on offing yourself.

I'm interested in the one or two people who suggested Buddhism as an answer to your ills

L. Ron Hubbard

"Reading" dense/complicated material for the sake of reading is a waste of time. If you aren't focusing and consciously attempting to integrate and understand the material, you are wasting your time and might as well not have read any of it, or read a summary.

Take notes while you read. Use the Cornell method of note taking. Again, if you are reading dense material and you're not actively trying to understand it, you're just wasting your own time.

lsc.cornell.edu/study-skills/cornell-note-taking-system/

The note system even appears to indicate it is designed for lectures.

>law
>complex
top kek

260 pages takes several hours.

Not sure if that is whining about it, saying it's nothing, or some moderate position in between.

I'm actually interested in the dense material I read.

We all think you're a genius, you can now feel validated. Congratulations!

Cringe

t. I am Bloom senpai and I read 1000 pages a day.

If you find yourself not enjoying a book, put it the fuck down. There are millions of books, don't waste your time with something that failed to grab your attention.

Attention is a trainable skill, so actively notice and redirect your mind when it wonders. There is a sort of metacognition involved in doing this, so it is best to practice various forms of meditation and then reap the fruits while you read. That is to say your mind wanders less and less while reading when you have been practicing meditation.

You don't. Studying American law is lobotomizing. You will never be anything more than a pleb.

>i got a 140 on my LSAT and i shouldn't be in law school, but i am anyway

what a load of shit

No doubt in my mind that you should look up words you don't understand, but the rest of this dribble is complete bullshit.

not the guy but...

Buddhists practice meditation, which is essentially sitting and focusing (on breathing and letting go of thoughts)

Helps calm the mind and eventually stops the mind from wandering

you be interested in it

if you're not interested then why the fuck are you reading it

you can either continue focusing on the text or put the book down and think about whatever shit is on your mind until you're bored of thinking then go back to read

>people have several (probably fucking 14) extra hours everyday
Glorified STEMsperg right here.

It took me awhile to accept this with music. When I went through all of my favorites I realized that every single one I loved from the very first track, yet I would continue to sit through albums after being bored by the first few songs.

I think the problem I have is that I am something I despise. The kind of person that feels the need to read classics "because I'm supposed to".

More power to ya then

stab myself in the cock

Smoke a cigarette