What is death like?

What is death like?

the end of life

Turn off all the lights in your house.
Now put on some earmuffs and comfortable clothes.
Hold your nose so you don't smell anything.
Now shoot yourself.
That's pretty much it, that's what it's like.

You meet Jesus and he asks you to repent 3 times...

Blissful

Neck yourself and find out.

why best memes come from Veeky Forums

remember what it was like before life? me neither but probably that

I'd assume, if all of my scientific practices serve me right (and I've studied death for some volume of years now), that death will be something close to a very painful moment and how fearful you are in that moment will determine the rest of your existence's experience on another plane. My research shows that where you fall on the pain acceptance skill will directly correlate to which album of David Bowie's that you listen to for the remainder of time.

Don't you agree the nature of the Universe is evil?

People are born into this world.
They have their own dreams, hopes, ambitions, desires. But they suffer their whole lives. All for what? To die, and never again be remembered. None of the things you want ever come true. You are fed up with hopes since the beggining of your life, and they never end up in anything but disappointment. And after you die, your counsciousness will never come back. When you die there is no God who will hug you and tell you you have already gone through enough and now you deserve some peace. Instead, our whole lives are for nothing, and then we die. Nobody to mourn the things you so much longer for. Nothing you want ever came true. You were put in the world to suffer and you'll be stripped from your existence in death. That's what death is like.

I know 4chad specially sci is very normalfag and you will be disagreeing with this and making fun of it but everything was said is absolutely true.

Imagine what it was like to be awake before you were born. It's a bit like that

What will your last thought be, Veeky Forums?

No dude, everything you said is very correct.

Except for one point, your family will remember you for a generation or two

I'd like to die laughing at my own joke

Endless stream of regrets and memories long gone

yeah but you'll never experience anything for all eternity! haha!

>What is death like?
>Proof: Left as an exercise for the reader

Except I don't have family beyond parents who kicked me out...
I do pray everyday that there is an afterlife. I have death anxiety and would like to get a chance to live again.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.”- albert einstein
there is nothing to fear about death its just a dreamless sleep

Like those dreamless naps you take. At least from a totally secular point of view. You only experience time while conscious so don't get worked over on "forever" since you can only posit forever has passed if/when you regain consciousness.

what a nice life i had, i hope i have done everything in my power to make a better civilization for the future generations to enjoy

>there is nothing to fear about death
What I fear is literally losing my mind. As I put it previously, our experience of existence is a collection of memories, desires, emotions, thoughts, hopes, dreams, ambitions. I have so many of those. They are plentiful. I feel like I need to protect those, and protect the mechanism that makes this possible, whatever the cost. I can't let go of it, even though I have had no life beyond depression. When I go to bed, I like to think when I die I'll meet some deus ex machina, and he will let me live the life I've always asked for. I dream about having a life of comfort and peace, without any suffering, and that is not non existence. I do this every, single, day. But I know I'm seriously mentally retarded. I'm more like an animal, like a dog or a gorilla, than a human. What goes through my mind matters even less than what goes on in the mind of real humans. All I can do is complain about it, hope there is less suffering and that my dream will come true, even though this hope is just another meaningless biological reaction to this kind of despair. I'm sorry for this post.

Smart money is on nothing happens when you die. Its like a light bulb burning out. The light doesn't go somewhere else, its just gone. There is no heaven or hell, no judgement, there is no afterlife. You die and your consciousness doesn't exist any more.

you probably have great potential to better the world, it may be mental illness/depression causing you death anxiety you should see a psychiatrist and also don't be a neet that is probably very bad for your mental health,i am not scared of death because i am content with what i have i don't think of these what ifs like the afterlife and other dreams, i just work towards a better world and contribute as much as i can to civilization

a relief :)

All is mind, you cannot lose it. Death is like waking up from a dream you didn't know you had.

>there is nothing to fear about death its just a dreamless sleep
The fear of death doesn't have anything to do with a fear that post-death might be suffering. Anyone who really believes in an afterlife will be taking appropriate religious action to convince themselves that they'll make it to heaven.
The reason people don't want to die is precisely because there's nothing there. We like living and aren't particularly happy that we have to stop.

but its going to happen either way and you are not conscious to suffer anyways

wait am i the only one who is not scared of dying does this mean i am stupid

I legitimately think death is the most neutral event that can happen, more than neutral even. When you're dead you can't regret, you can't long for anything, you simply cease to be. I can't pity a dead person, and I often think it's best for someone to be dead if they had a shitty life.
Yet here I am, with dreams and things to look forward to, and I really don't want to die. It's weird.

Henlo Diogenes

This, I hope.

>but its going to happen either way
The fact that you can't avoid it doesn't somehow make it not bad.

>and you are not conscious to suffer anyways
you're repeating the exact same line that I just explained is missing the point. People aren't afraid that death is going to be suffering, they don't want their consciousness to stop.

Oh c'mon with this preachy bullshit.This is a science board.Death involves your brain ceasing to function.So you can't think or feel.So nothing.You feel nothing after death.End of story.

>they don't want their consciousness to stop.

for some reason this doesn't make me scared or feel bad, is this because i have brain damage or is it normal for some people

Isn't it nice being able to change your mind when confronted with evidence that contradicts your worldview.

>I'm sorry for this post.
you better be

>eternity

what a meme

So, in all seriousness. How angry would you guys be if, immediately after dying, you woke up surrounded by fire and evil laughter?

I'm an atheist myself, but if Christians turned out to be right, I would be absurdly pissed.

A massive fucking DMT trip

>"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.”- albert Einstein

Einstein was also a Jew, and we all know how the old testament was. Jesus was forgiving of all.

>a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty

Human frailty is the result of our own mortal bodies. I can't imagine Einstein actually being this narrow-minded in his break-down of such a being.

>The reason people don't want to die is precisely because there's nothing there

I don't get what you're saying? Are you implying that you can confirm what happens after passing away? Isn't it science that dictates that the universe abhors a vacuum? Wouldn't we be more likely to therefor assume that existence is never-ending?

Lucid dreaming in astral projection.

it's like having a dick in your ass

>Anyone who really believes in an afterlife will be taking appropriate religious action to convince themselves that they'll make it to heaven.
No. It's the other way around. Their consciousness spits out they believe in the afterlife and whatever lessons their religion preaches [math]because[/math] they are acting that way in the first place. Consciousness justifies the subconsciouss actions, not the other way around. Read basic psychology mate.

I would spend a century or two bitching because it seems kind of rigged for God to make skeptical people and then punish them.

Then I would ask why I woke up since hell in Christianity is supposed to be obliteration of the soul. Then I would just chill with other hell people I guess.

I didn't exist before I was born. I will have existed before I die

Probably the same as not having been born yet.

Why? Theyll die too. And then go extinct. And all life will be gone without any history left behind. Trillions of planets are probably like this and will stay that way forever. How does THAT make you feel huh????

Since it is the extinction of any ability to have a frame of reference it lies permanently beyond any frame of reference so there is nothing it can be like.
Ask people to use three words that describe a white room without doors, windows or any features. These words will describe their attitude to extinction.
My three: boring, temporary, clean

>evil
i'd go with malign and implacably sad.

>I can't let go of it, even though I have had no life beyond depression.
Problem and solution, right there.

brb killing myself to find out xD

Find anything?

probably a lot like what is was before life. now let's make it before the world ends baby

That's a funny way to spell /tv/.

>"Wish I did things differently. Oh well, doesn't matter now."

Anybody ever think that you're the only "real" person in this universe, and that when you die, everything else will also cease to exist since you're no longer around?

Yeah, I'd be a little bitter. I'd try to find a demon who would explain this bullshit to me, then I'd spend the next gorillion years developing a masochism fetish and start enjoying the torture.

Pretty sure everyone does. Consciousness is a strange duck. Hard to believe it only rises out of intelligence, but that sure seems to be the case.

Is that cat OK?

>He isn't honored to have you in His presence

>Finally I will be free.

yes, you have severe brain damage and autism

That's a pretty image. What's the source?

It isn't

just means youre either severly depressed or you didnt ever feel like being close

Depends on how you die

Isn't it the other way around? You were formed in a human body but when you die you're disintegrating completely into the earth.

you end but you don't know you've ended, you don't even know that you've stopped knowing

What an embarrassingly moronic statement. You simply did not exist yet. Sperms don't have souls. Humans do.

Tell me O great armchair experts, if there really is no hell or heaven, do you honestly think all the murderers, offenders and the degenerates that hide society that got away with will simply die a normal, natural death without any justice?

You won't even miss it, and it won't concern you once you're dead.

I think of the experience like going under general anesthesia. You can fight the urge to sleep, but your body is going numb and you're losing the ability to move different parts of it. Eventually, you'll lose the ability to control your voice, your breathing, your eyes, and then, it'll all be over. Any last words you try to make at the last moment will just be a mumble. You've said your peace. And now, you have peace.

>arrive in hell
>find that a society has risen up above the flames
>turns out some of the greatest minds went to hell and went on to live for centuries longer, allowing for inhuman intellect
>humans are still the demons' bitches, but the demons have it better by letting people do their thing and improve shit
>lucifer is fine with this since he got his wish for a realm to call his own, a world in which he is the highest deity

I'd read that book.

I died once.

But there's fucking nothing. There is no freedom or enlightenment in death.

Stay alive as long as you possibly can anons. It's the only thing you can ever have. There's no gods, there's no afterlifes of any sort. There is no soul. Consciousness is chemistry. Your mind and body are a machine. Take care of them.

Other people had died and claimed to experience otherwise, user.

Yeah
Justice is purely biological and human concept. The universe doesn't need to balance people's karmas or whatever dumby

Provided that they don't die prematurely through some other means, yes. I truly believe if you get away with murder, then there is no "justice" (so subjective) that awaits you on the other side.

Can I fuck demons and all sorts of unholy shit in this world of yours?

Physically impossible. Memory formation stops pretty much immediately. So they're either remembering things just prior to death or just constructing false memories whole-cloth or a little of both.

I can never even be sure I'm the same person I was before I died or just a reconstruction based upon a pile of memories he had. See, it's not like waking up from sleep. It's more like everything is suddenly switched on before you're ready for it or know how it all works.

>I could have saved a lot of money on car insurance by switching to Geico...

take about seven grams (dried) of pic related and in about an hour a moment will come when you will suddenly experience the loss of the awareness of your separate individuality .

It is like being born again. Maybe like a short circuit is made which bypasses areas of the mind where your set of values, definitions , tastes, are bypassed. they are not immediately accessible so sense mediated consciousness is pure, direct.. if death is only the death of the body and consciousness exists beyond that event it would be like being birthed into a new place with no reference to draw upon to make sense of it all.

>If x is true, I'll be sad
>I do not wish to be sad
>Therefore, x is false.

Sleep

souls aren't real you muffin muncher

>do you honestly think all the murderers, offenders and the degenerates that hide society that got away with will simply die a normal, natural death without any justice
uhh yes
life is hard and then you die

Sooo if there's no memory formation, how can you say that there was absolutely nothing? You don't even remember it,right?....

So then what is it like to not experience anything for eternity???

If you do remember something that doesn't exist, is it real? Of course not. If you don't remember something that doesn't exist, is it real? Of course not. Therefore there's nothing.

I remember before and after and there's nothing in-between. There's not a more accurate way to put that. There's no mystical bullshit happening that lets you form experience, a physical brain function, when you're dead. You don't dream, you don't absorb environmental experience passively like when you're asleep. Most near death "experiences" probably occur just before or just after death when the brain is still working.

I once had a severe concussion and was out of it for some time. Suddenly I just wake up in the hospital with no recollection of the past week. I just came to be. Had I not woken up, there'd be nothing, just emptiness. I guess it doesn't scare me anymore now that I know what to roughly expect. We all die eventually, your time will come so why not accept it and focus on more relevant matters?

Not only is it evil as in it has the property of being evil, but it is Evil itself. There is nothing worse.

smoke some dmt

Dying is safe.

>Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body

If the abjection of space, time, and the singular localized self cannot destroy Consciousness then nothing can.

I think most people would agree that when you flick a lighter a new flame comes out each time, rather than it being the same flame coming out over and over.

You are just awareness. Tonight when you go to sleep you will flicker off and then back on in a different state when you dream. Is that the same awareness that was on when you went to bed? What if each time your consciousness turns off you disappear forever and a new awareness is created? An identical clone created inevitably with the same memories since it's created by the same brain. Maybe you've only been alive since this morning, and you won't even see tomorrow. If this was the case death would only mean something to our loved ones.

[spoiler]I'm feeling sleepy and might take a nap soon, this could be goodbye forever Veeky Forums.[/spoiler]

Nice spoiler tags, Nerd.

>we die every time we go to sleep
I love this meme. The simple fact that consciousness is located in the brain and the brain is the same no matter how much you sleep proves it wrong.

Surely if any sort of afterlife existed it wouldn't be based on a predefined right and wrong, the only way it could work is if you knew something was wrong but did it anyway, so in theory a serial killer who was insane and believed he was doing the right thing would be in heaven

It's only intrinsically evil if those things are needed to live well. There are modes of existence which take that nihilism into account and still produce lives worth living. Transcendent states of mind are aptly named.

you're an idiot

>Are you implying that you can confirm what happens after passing away?
Yes, you pass away when you pass away (crazy right?)

>Isn't it science that dictates that the universe abhors a vacuum? Wouldn't we be more likely to therefor assume that existence is never-ending?
So then your shirt will exist forever because nature abhors shirt vacuums? Your brain will disintegrate, and though its reduced components may be perpetual, its emergent structures will disappear alongside any consciousness of said structure.

Though consciousness itself may not be an emergent phenomenon, the contents of consciousness you associate with self being most certainly are, as can be seen abundantly clearly through mindfulness, philosophy, and experiment.

see Very naive/ illiterate perspective of time. The actuality of an event's existence after a particular moment is no different than any before.

Hopefully something lovely and beautiful. Likely something painful and bitter.

saved

I feel you, brother