The Stranger

Is there a more based character than Meursault? The ending just fucking blew my mind. He figured it all out at the end of the book and took the ultimate red pill, he realized that in the grand scheme of things nothing is really relevant and none of our choices really have any impact in the long run, why the fuck isn't this book mandatory in all schools?

>why the fuck isn't this book mandatory in all schools?

Because "realizing that in the grand scheme of things nothing is really relevant and none of our choices really have any impact in the long run" is a terrible thing to teach children.

Nihilism is a disease

>Implying Camus was a nihilist and this dumb as fuck OP mistook the book to be a validation of his apathy and selfishness, like every other 16 year old

Death of the author.

Yeah, I know Camus was some chad with multiple mistresses at the time of his death writing to try shock people out of living like Meursault. Doesn't change the fact that Meursault is a badass character and highly relatable to men of today, particularly those with ASD, who see little point in social interaction or in partaking in society in general.

Nihilism is. It's true that nothing really matters and whatever meaning we find in life is just made up by us but I seriously believe now that to go through life with this realization constantly plaguing your thoughts is no way to live.

I think that despite the true nihilistic nature of life we need to believe in something, dare I say it even have faith in something.

So it's like after taking the ultimate red pill the only catharsis is to bluepill ourselves a little bit afterwards.

you clearly dont understand the philosophy of Camus. He used nihilism to realize how meaningless you are and stop being a fucking egocentric faggot, not a suicidal emo kid.

Because no parent wants their kid to end up a retard on death row.

Don't mind me lads, just getting this picture all fired up.

le maman est le morte

haha nice le meme

>nothing is really relevant and none of our choices really have any impact in the long run
Yes, the sad part however is that if you don't want to starve to death and/or get addicted to drugs live in a filthy apartment/be homeless not have friends you have to forget about this at times

It's a fine and fancy thing to think while you're just relaxing with some leisure time, but there's also such a thing as living your life with values and working hard so that it's not complete and utter shit.

This

I guess confusing nihilism with the embracement of absurdism isn't difficult

It is mandatory, I read it sophomore year but it was AP so the normies missed out

>people still misunderstanding The Stranger.

i feel you.

The ending would be more poignant if, well, doing that wasn't his only choice

Of course he has another chance. He can scream, be panicked and beg for mercy, like any person who doesn't realize the futility of his acts would.

What is the difference between nihilism and acceptance of the absurd? Haven't read Camus yet

These are all entry level novellas

>you have to forget about this at times

not forget. if you "forget" then you slip into denial which leads to the 'quiet desperation' that Thoreau talked about. Stay aware of the absurd and resist it like the plague & nazis.

both terms are debatable and boogeyman-ed. People like to interpret nihilism as stating that not even subjective meaning is possible, which is demonstrably false. And if they don't interpret nihilism that way (ie nihilism states there is no objective meaning), then it's a fact about the universe irrelevant to all that is practical and relating to happiness (unless you're in a cult) so who gives a shit.

The absurd is awareness of death, that we're all fighting a battle that we ultimately lose, that 'scepter and crown must tumble down and in the dust be equal made with the poor crooked scythe and spade'. This fact, thoroughly apprehended, inclines anyone to apathy, passivity, indolence, ennui, etc. Camus feels capitulation is not an option.

Nihilism is edgy destructive trash, acceptance of the absurd is knowing that life is meaningless but defying that by continuing to strive for meaning regardless

That's why you are a pleb if you don't understand them.

>why the fuck isn't this book mandatory in all schools?
It is, in my country at least.