Logic

Is it possible to construct a statement P (in English) such that both P and NOT P are true?

This statement is false.

No.

Yes, it isn't.

This statement isn't false.

>Let R be the set of all sets that are not members of themselves.
It's called a paradox and because it's paradoxical, it's useless in any formal system.

No, because there are no contradictions in reality.

You can, constructively, have such a statement, but with the little thing that it's not rue or false. The king of the USA is bald. If it was true, then there would be a king, and similarly for the case in which it is false. Since such a king doesn't exist, you have a statement neither true or false.

But this requires non-classical logic.

Let's say 'this statement is false' is P

Since it refers to P, P is true(1) if P is false(-1):

P = -P

Since this equation is P, the solution is very simple. Let False be that which is not True. Since P = -P is not true, it is False. The mistake is not necessarily on the value it assigns to P. You could say: The Bird On This Table has no wings. If there is no bird on this table, the affirmation is false. Similarly, every time P is called, there is a parameter missing, so saying A statement which doesn't exist is either True or False, is False. Since there is a parameter missing, and since you are defining False as anything that is not a True Statement, even Non-statements can be assigned False, so P is false and it remains false because it's not a Statement. Example of similar sequence of words: Fax Phone Is Is, Evaluate()=True.

The king of the USA is bald is false, my friend. This is basic classical logic.

Non-classically you would need to construct a knig to prove he isn't bald.

This

In P, what is the referent of "this statement"?

No, it is not possible. What would be an example of one?

Statements I make are either
(a) all false
..or else
(b) not all true

OP, in the real world, I have a real problem. This isn't just some clever word-play. It's an accurate description of a real condition.

I have a credibility problem. Often, people don't believe me.

Is this statement true? Well....

The more you believe it, the less true it becomes.
The less you believe it, the more true it becomes.

P

yea, a very vague statement

in fact there are more statements that are both true and not true than there are one or the other

op is a faggot

kys