I was recently gifted this book. I've never heard of this guy before. What should I expect...

I was recently gifted this book. I've never heard of this guy before. What should I expect? Did you enjoy any of his works?

Other urls found in this thread:

heraldtribune.com/news/20170110/controversial-short-story-gets-sarasota-substitute-teacher-banned
newyorker.com/magazine/2007/12/24/alma
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hey help me out Veeky Forums

I am falling in love with a single mother. Her ex-bf was a heroin addict. The father is an out of the picture felon. Me I'm just an schizophrenic on SSI who lives with mum. She likes to have a lot of sex even in public we've had sex when she felt horny (though I was kissing her neck and nibbling her ears) and she is into BDSM forcing me to be very dominate -I no longer "ask" for blowjobs just make her- and anyways

What book should I read next?

A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man
A Secret History
Paradise Lost
Inferno

I enjoyed 'This is How you Lose Her'. This book was fine too.

fuckin LOL I haven't read any of those books yet but good luck user. Enjoy the sex, I'd recommend not getting too deep too quickly

There's a lot of Dominican history in it, which I found interesting. The way Diaz uses slang and switches between spanish and english was great. I was in the middle of reading several books and didn't finish it. Thanks for reminding me.

It's humorous and can be read in an afternoon if you have the time. It's definitely worth it, in particular for the Veeky Forums crowd since Oscar is a culture mirror for some of the shit on here.

Easy to digest and mildly humorous in places, but the trite gimmick wears off quickly. The best scene is when Oscar Wao's mother flies into New York for the first time.

I liked the bits set in the DR a lot. Wao is good but I liked Drown better.

Diaz is in that uncomfortable position of being the POC author that white folks champion to feel better about themselves/ourselves. It's wack, but that doesn't diminish that he can write pretty darn well.

it is a pretty good book. almost too many cultural references, but the multi-generational story is good

A lot of people will go into Junot Diaz's politics and racial stuff but as far as the book itself is concerned I really enjoyed it. It was really interesting and strange and dark as fuck. Well-written enough that I wrote him an email telling him how much I liked it.

I only bought it because I thought it would be about Oscar Wilde though.

I haven't read anything of his other than the story in the article below. Posted this in another thread but had no comments before it died. Curious what you guys think about this.

heraldtribune.com/news/20170110/controversial-short-story-gets-sarasota-substitute-teacher-banned

You can read the stort in about five minutes if you want to see exactly what the controversy was all about.

newyorker.com/magazine/2007/12/24/alma

This is How You Lose Her is excellent and Oscar Wao is the book that made him so I hope it is at least as good--I'm hoping to read it in the next 3-4 books.

Thought it was shit but maybe that's because it was a combination of me not Having any interest whatsoever in Dominican history/culture and it was mandatory reading upon entering freshman year (which turned out to not really be mandatory at all but I still read it), and I just thought the writing and story was shit so overall I rate it shit/10

Hey you could probably stop being a little shit if you read his short story collection as that would take the bad mandatory reading taste out of your mouth and put in some literature vitamins of the same compound via a different channel.

As pointed out in my post, the mandatory reading part of it was one one (1) of three (3) reasons why I didn't enjoy the novel

So idc about your recommendations senpai plus I'm not going to waste my time reading more pieces by a shit writer when there's so much better stuff out there to occupy my short time on this rock thank you very much

The book is solid. Diaz himself is easy to mock though.

What you reading now bb?

Your shitposts

scuse me you know i mean bookwise

It doesn't matter. What's the next step in your master plan? To rate the book I'm currently reading in order to factor in the missing variable, based on not enough information from my last posts, for this equation you made up in your head that will, with definite 100% accurate precision, return a value of which translates to the degree of literary "plebeian" or "patrician" I am?

sorry toasty I just wanted to talk books, I'm reading Idaho by idaho emily ruskovich, an Ioawee.

It's pretty great so far, really wonderful and cozy passages about the idaho snow and northern mountains. Dark though

Was the letter at the end of the story actually written by Oscar? I've always suspected it to be a forgery from Junior. It doesn't read the way Oscar speaks.