To be, is to be perceived

To be, is to be perceived

What did George Berkeley mean by this?

Is science now finally catching up to philosophy?

Philosophy is just Physics for people who are bad at math.

measurement != perception

Berkeley means that that is the only meaning of the word exist that can have discernible meaning. The idea of something mind-independent (no perceived by a mind) is incoherent and inconceivable.

Probably has little to nothing to do with physics, though.

I believe that our conscious minds are capable of grasping an inkling of the true nature of reality but through introspection alone cannot accurately define these truths so we turn to conceptual tools like maths and logic to separate and find these truths and accurately define them

The parallels between George Berkeley's ideas and theories in quantum mechanics is fascinating such as when an observer is introduced into the double slit experiment causes a collapse of the wave function or how consciousness is playing and increasingly central role in further developing physics

Well quantum mechanics has pretty much disproved materialism and realism

>The parallels between George Berkeley's ideas and theories in quantum mechanics is fascinating such as when an observer is introduced into the double slit experiment causes a collapse of the wave function or how consciousness is playing and increasingly central role in further developing physics
Observer does not cause the collapse, it's the measurement device recording the which-path information which causes collapse. Please stop spreading pseudoscience nonsense.

You can't dismiss it by pointing out one I'll chosen word instead of observer I could have said measurement device but it all falls under the observer effect

I can dismiss it by pointing out that nothing in quantum mechanics has to do with consciousness, and that the parallel you are pointing out is therefore meaningless.

If you read carefully I never said it did

So you're not saying anything really.

I'm saying you're being an enjoying and instead of this none sense you could have asked me to further explain things my insecure friend

Consciousness is an aspect in perceiving a reality comprised of information and how that is apart of theories being work on right now to explain everything

Perhaps, but it wouldn't follow from that alone that subjective idealism is true.

I don't know where on earth you see a parallel.

I'm still waiting for you to say anything of substance. This is your thread, remember?

Well tell me what does it mean then?

It means that realism (of some kind) and materialism are false. Dualism could still be true, or perhaps one of the myriad forms of idealism.

Quantum mechanics clearly deals with matter, it is materialistic. Stop talking about things you don't know anything about.

>disproved materialism
No, it has not.
>and realism
Certainly at a quantum level.

>Certainly at a quantum level.
Woops, my bad. I was thinking of something else. Anyway, QM doesn't disprove realism.

>What did George Berkeley mean by this?
Um, his entire metaphysical system
>>>/PHIL101/

Then materialism can't be proven false by it you retard.

Another philosophical thread in Veeky Forums that leads to another terrible discussion. If you want to talk about philosophy, go to Veeky Forums.

What are you talking about moron? That's what I just said.

Sci is just third rate Sheldon's with there autism cranked up to max

His is where the decent conversation is at

Being objective doesn't mean being a faggot all the time

If you're the same user I have been replying to, you said earlier that QM disproved materialism.

Says the guy who hasn't said anything of substance in his entire thread. Oh and by the way, stop typing every sentence as its own paragraph. It immediately tells everyone you are an idiot spouting woo.

Well I'm not.

Well, you replied to me in the context of another user's post. If you are asking what Berkeley meant, then this is my reply:

>I'm a 30 year old unhappy virgin douche bag who gets a kick out if being a big guy online mom and dad are so proud of me

Well I got you to joy in ay faggot says a lot about you and your still egging me on because you want this shit show to continue because god forbid you should step back a moment and see how truly pathetic you are read this carefully because even though you might ridicule it, it will have an effect in you

You should kill yourself you are worthless

How's that for substance you god forsaken virgin

Sci can go fuck itself and every shit head in here

Yes, this is what I replied to:

>Well quantum mechanics has pretty much disproved materialism and realism
>>Perhaps, but it wouldn't follow from that alone that subjective idealism is true.
>Well tell me what does it mean then?
>>It means that realism (of some kind) and materialism are false. Dualism could still be true, or perhaps one of the myriad forms of idealism.

>His is where the decent conversation is at
>I'm a 30 year old unhappy virgin douche bag who gets a kick out if being a big guy online mom and dad are so proud of me
Wow, so intellectual! You sure showed me that you have the higher ground!

Did you come here because Veeky Forums was getting tired of your shitposting? Well it's time to go back, loser.

it means OP is a faggot

He was so "empiricist" that he wouldn't believe in anything that couldn't be perceived

Which means he thought that literally the only things that existed were the perceptions themselves

>TFW op reks you in 2 ways. Op caught you misinterpreting his garbage English and saying his speech is meaningless though, to a bystander, you're the retarded one for speaking to a retard.

What is measurement? Why aren't particles constantly collapsing each other?

>Why aren't particles constantly collapsing each other?
They are.

A measurement is an interaction which releases information about a system. "Particles collapsing each other" basically describes all measurement, crudely.

No, minds also existed, those things doing the perceiving.