I need some advice, I enrolled in software engineering because the pay is better and safer carreer choice

I need some advice, I enrolled in software engineering because the pay is better and safer carreer choice.

But my passion is to be a writer.
Do you think It would be possible to combine them?

Do people even give a fuck about text adventures today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Xne_dARp468?t=2290
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Programming and writing both use the verbal bits of your brain. There's some popular science fiction authors who are/were programmers (Vernor Vinge, Charlie Stross---though he's a filthy fucking commie).

That said "software engineering" is fake, read some Dijkstra (another computer scientist who could write like a motherfucker!) and get into a "computer science" or other "not bullshit" degree program.

>filthy fucking commie

good boy

If you dislike programming, quit. You will be fucking miserable.

Programming and writing are more similar than you'd think, however. So give it a chance. But it's an absolutely miserable career unless you're into it, because you need to do work outside of work constantly to have any hope of keeping up.

Please make us some more visual novels so I can hear "Wait Oni-Chan, wrong hole."

I don't really have advice but I'm on the same boat as you. Studying CS but I have no interest in anything CS related, I have no clue what I'm gonna do once I grauduate

>Dijkstra
>relevant to know today

Yeah no nowadays you just go to Nuget/npm/whatever and get packages to do the heavy loading for you, and just link them up. Modern programming is easy

>he thinks that code monkeying is actual software development

>tfw when you were in love with programming as a child and followed through graduating from a good college and getting a well-paid job
>tfw you realize you're not interested in doing this your whole life and it should never have been more than a side hobby
>tfw you have to come to terms with basically wasting several years of your professional life
Don't be me, OP.

>Do you think It would be possible to combine them?

I have a degree in English Lit, aspirations to be a writer, and work as a software developer.

The pay is good. Comfortable life. I would be a better programmer if I didn't write, and a better writer if I didn't code.

Every day I think about what my life would have been like if I made art my prime focus. I'm not sure poverty or working a barista job or in a factory would make me a better writer. I would still have to work a full shift, I would just have less money at the end of it.

There's nothing wrong with double majoring honestly. And it's worth noting that my brother was a computer science major and he enrolled in this dev boot camp thing for the summer which taught him more than his entire degree, FYI.

Maybe double major in literature and then something else that you're passionate about but has more career legs just to be safe, but only if there is actual passion

>boot camp thing for the summer which taught him more than his entire degree
Pro-tip: don't enroll into shit colleges.

>building a PC is easy because you just buy the parts from Intel
Who the fuck do you think writes those libraries you use you javascript beanie wearing loser

t. silicon valley hipster faggot webdev, who uses words like "vibrant"

I read recently about haiku written in code by some nerds. It was a specific programming language that was especially suited for this--I don't remember the name. There were no examples though.

i'm a technical writer, so yes.

>Do people even give a fuck about text adventures today?
you mean like zork? nah
writing for video games is a thing, tho. they teach it at my gf's old university

Of course. Having a full-time job doesn't mean you can't have a hobby. And let's face it, unless you have a publishing deal, writing is just a hobby.

>Do people even give a fuck about text adventures today?
I think people would rather just look, instead of typing "LOOK" and reading a paragraph of text.

>If you dislike programming, quit. You will be fucking miserable.
Welcome to the real world. To earn a living, you sometimes have to do things you don't enjoy.

Poverty will make you miserable faster than a dull job.

>Welcome to the real world. To earn a living, you sometimes have to do things you don't enjoy.
WHOA DUDE YOU BLEW MY MIND BRO
There's a difference between being forced by circumstances in a job you don't like and spending years deliberately training for it.

I think programming is a bit of a special case, because programming never ends. You need to be highly versed in what you're currently doing, while also constantly doing side projects to learn about new technologies and software. It requires a huge amount of out-of-work effort.

I do agree that you should not always "follow your dreams", however, I think that trying to be a programmer without the hint of passion is suicide. Become an actuary or something instead.

>Become an actuary
top meme

>There's a difference between being forced by circumstances in a job you don't like and spending years deliberately training for it.
Yes. You get paid more for the latter.

I played several interactive fiction games, it's usually fun if it's too obtuse, apparently its a genre swamped by SJWs pushing their faggot shit on people.
I liked Vespers

Real life experiences create interesting literature, technical skill makes it great.

You're already pretty autistic if you're a code monkey, and writers are mostly giant autists.

You should check out Kentucky Route Zero.

>because you need to do work outside of work constantly to have any hope of keeping up.

>jobs that pay more require more hours
>???
>decreases their equivalent hourly rate
>same as working two shitty hourly wageslave jobs back to back, only first you need to flush four years into the toilet and pay for the privilege

Wish I knew college was a meme before I got into debt. Thanks mom.

>thinks poverty is bad
>didn't read Diogenes

Houllebecq

youtu.be/Xne_dARp468?t=2290

>it's a Ryan post