Why is the speed of light and gravity 3 x 10^8 m/s? Why not any other finite number?

Why is the speed of light and gravity 3 x 10^8 m/s? Why not any other finite number?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The better question, why not an infinite number?

The speed of light is 1, faggot. A better question is:
>What did g*d mean by this?

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

>homophobia
Because homosexuality is a sin.

Because the units m/s are arbitrary. The speed of light could have very well been a different number depending on how we defined the meter and the second.

This is a science board, sins are religious fluff nonsense.

I always though homosexuality as more of a cos than sin.

/thread

Why does causality have a speed limit then?

convert to any other units, whatever. the point is it's still the same finite speed. if it is finite, why that speed?

Why is grass green?

>Why is [math] \hbar = \hbar [/math]?
>Why is the mass of an electron, the mass of an electron?
>Why is the speed of light, the speed of light?
Fairly meaningless questions tbqh.

Contants are required to give a mathematical model a physical nature. They began along with our universe and their value is, as far as we know, random for each one

There really is no deeper thing, I'm afraid.

There's no reason for the speed of light to be that. You cannot explain it in terms of anything. In fact the finite and constant speed of light is the most basic root of many explanations. I suggest you watch this video, which has nothing to do with the speed of light, but explains what I'm trying to say.

youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM

>Why is grass green?
>Why is the mass of an electron, the mass of an electron?
>There really is no deeper thing, I'm afraid.
I'm not OP, but I think the fact that there is no deeper thing is what OP's trying to get at.
Do you guys get how weird that is? There no being a deeper thing? Something just "being" that way? Working a certain way? Having certain fundamental properties?

I love you too, Mikan!

it's a sin to lick my gooch but you have no problem doing that.

no shit, but the conclusion is that we don't know. i don't know what answer you expect when we literally do not know.

It doesn't seeem weird to me that, in order to explain something, you have to accept something, a "fact", in a more fundamental level.
Then, if you try to find an explanation to this "fact" you need to rely in another fact, etc.
In the end, there has to be something which has no explanation. You cannot ask why forever.
In the case of mathematics, these "fundamental facts" are called axioms and are just (usually) reasonable or obvious statements. For example, "there's always a number between two numbers".

In the case of physics, these fundamental facts come from observation of the world. In the universe exist different forces. Nobody has an explanation for that. It's just how the universe is. Two of these forces (one if you feel technical enough) are the electric and magnetic forces. From studying these forces, one can work out the speed of light, which is related to the magnitude of these forces.
But one has to accept that electric and magnetic forces exist.

>One story has it that Grothendieck is now convinced that the Devil is working to falsify the speed of light. Schneps ascribes his concerns with the speed of light to his anxiety about the methodological compromises physicists make. He talks constantly, however, about the Devil, semi-metaphorically, sitting behind good people and nudging them in the direction of compromise, of the fudge, of the move towards corruption. ‘Uncompromising’ is the expression Schneps favours.

>In his correspondence with Leila Schneps, he told her he would be willing to share his research into physics with her if she could answer one question: ‘What is a metre?’

and this is what people call the greatest mathematician of the 20th century?

Not everybody cares about your shitty fucking religion.

>because we defined a metre and then measured it

>it is the speed of causality however you measure it. Any faster and time would reverse within that reference frame (yet to be observed and would require infinite energy)

How would you measure something faster than light? All our measurement devices are constrained by speed of light anyway

>Electric and magnetic forces
>two forces
>not one

Already failing tbqh familam, learn your four forces

>In the end, there has to be something which has no explanation. You cannot ask why forever.
Exactly. How did those physical constants come to be though? This isn't a matter of knowledge, even if humanity manages to not majorly fuck itself up in the next 100,000 years, this question will probably still be unanswered. We may someday have a theory explaining why light moves exactly at the speed it does, but that theory will still make certain assumptions about the physical world.

I'm not a homophob. You don't have to be gay to be a faggot.

>If it was any other number you'd be asking why it was that number and not any other number

Maybe when we discovered the grand unified theory of everything it'll point to an answer. Until then, no reason to stress over it. There is no functionally less important question to answer than "why".

>There is no functionally less important question to answer than "why".
This may be the most retarded thing I've ever read.

>Why is the speed of light and gravity 3 x 10^8 m/s? Why not any other finite number?

also why do the fundamental particles in the standard model have the properties they have and not other variations that would satisfy the same requirements for a functioning model?

Some of the fundamental constants that make up the basis of our understanding of physics do not have good explanations at this time.

There is a more fundamental level of understanding that must give rise to these constants, string theory (m theory, or whatever) proposes answers to some of these questions but our technology is not advanced enough to test the validity of the model.

Maybe these "why" question are not just philosophical bs and have some sense, there must me a reason of why universe have laws and its not just totally random and chaotic

I think that all these objects and properties like space,time,mass,energy,momentum,etc,etc. Are just different sides of the same coin, a meta-object, thats why you can write functions between them, because they are actually the same thing.

Time to quit drugs, man