You're a brainlet if you aren't a polyglot, no matter how much math you can do or how much science you understand

You're a brainlet if you aren't a polyglot, no matter how much math you can do or how much science you understand.

I speak english.
Yo hablo español.
And I learned hiragana and 200 kanji so you could say I also know japanese.

>200 kanji
>I also know Japanese

You're a brainlet if you aren't a true polygot.

Being able to grasp the basics of three or more languages doesn't make you a true polygot and I feel like that's what you are.

I have grasped the basics of many more than three languages, but I am only fluent in two.

Learning another language is a mistake, because the opportunity cost of learning a new word in a new language is learning a new word in your original language. This is less of an issue for children, but it's still an issue.

>spend 500 to 5,000 hours learning a language
>literally no one cares because you won't live in a place diverse enough to show it off

Kek

I'm in the clear then. I speak Romanian, English, French, and Japanese.

You are bad at math. The marginal increase in vocabulary and utility by learning your 100,000th English word is not equal to learning the first 10,000 or so words in any language because almost all communication in all media is found in those words.

>spend 5,000 hours trying to prove that you can tile a five dimensional space with some weird hexagonal shape
>literally no one cares

That's bilingual bro, te hacen falta au moins trois langues se vuoi essere chiamato a polyglot.
さらにたとえ二万漢字を知ったら、流暢でないとそれは日本語を話すことはできないでしょう。

私はあまりにも馬鹿を翻訳するためにウェブを使用することができます

>I only do things to gain the approval of others
Spot the chink.

Actually no. If you're an academic, the marginal value of new words in your original language greatly exceeds that of new words in a new language. If your language happens to be the dominant one and you needn't use other languages, then it is foolish indeed to learn other languages, and your time would be better spent exercising or learning some useful craft.

>all those articles written in French and German that you'll never get to read because you're a lazy anglophone
This is why everyone thinks Americans are stupid. Is it any wonder that most graduate students in the U.S. are foreigners?

>German
The bane of my existence. I have no problem with French or Italian but fuck German. I tried learning it once and I only lasted two weeks before giving up. Literally impossible to learn without living in Germany.

No, not even if you're an academic. The odds that you will use a new word in your language for any purpose other than showing off that you can use fancy words approaches zero, not including jargon. But since I made the possible mistake of assuming you're not a retard, I assumed you were already familiar with all the jargon in your field and already had a good command of an educated user's vocabulary.

>my language happens to be the dominant one
>trying this hard to recover from my faulty utility analysis

The fact is that your brain is literally improved by learning and thinking in more than one language. There are hundreds of peer-reviewed studies on this.

Regardless of how much you think you will use it, it makes you smarter. Hence you are a brainlet relative to a polyglot all else being equal.

Yes, there's this too. Americans that say shit like this also make us look stupider than we (already) are.

>te hacen falta
>hacen
>presumiendo de ser apto en español
jajaja

>what is the Internet
>using the Internet
You can find enough resources to learn any language with >5m speakers on the Internet to become proficient.

You're a brainlet if you're not Ashkenazi. Ashkenazi children invent entire languages as a hobby.

There is far more to be read than can ever be read, regardless, so fretting about unreadable articles is no more rational than fretting about articles you won't read because life isn't long enough to get to them.

I can't decide if this is really bad bait or if this guy is really this bad at all the "rational" thinking he continually talks about.

To be blunt, and without intending to hurt your feelings, your reasoning seems motivated by a kind of buyer's remorse. Claims that multilingualism improves language reasoning beyond childhood are tenuous. If such reasoning is the purpose of learning a language you are unlikely to use, then it would be a wiser use of your time to simply learn more about the structure of language directly. This would be unlikely to take as long, freeing up time for more productive hobbies.

Watashi wa sugoi na hito desu

>productive
>hobbies
He did it again!

>presumiendo de ser apto en español
It's perfectly valid Spanish, if anything "presumiendo de ser apto en español" is a phrase that no native speaker would ever say even though it's technically correct, it just sounds wrong.

All I did was remove an unnecessary verb from the sentence
>te hacen falta al menos tres idiomas
>you need at least three languages
is equivalent to
>te hace falta saber al menos tres idiomas
>you need to know at least three languages

I hate to break this to you, but most native speakers don't use Veeky Forums memes so of course it would sound odd. Otherwise, that's a perfectly natural construction.

Yours on the other hand was just off.

Of course it's quite possible we speak different Spanishes.

>most native speakers don't use Veeky Forums memes
Of course they do go on /int/ and see for yourself. The thing is, nobody will say 'apto' when talking about knowing a language, they will use "saber hablar" which is just 'knowing (a language)' in English. All languages have words seen as too technical for everyday use, 'apto' is one of them.

I said "most."

Reading is fundamental.

>nobody will say "apto"
>nobody
>the government of spain is nobody
>the cervantes institute is nobody
I guess you've never taken a DELE. Which means unless you are a native speaker, your assessment of how good you are is meaningless.

You're a dumbass.
The amount of stem related jobs I see that either require knowing Chinese or highly "prefer" people who can also speak Chinese(in addition to English) is pretty high.

It's always the biggest brainlets who see themselves as geniuses for some reason.

Thanks for the (You) but I think what I'm saying agrees with you.

^ more excuses from a lazy brainlet.

>לא לדבר עברית
And you claim to be useful to the human species...

Native spanish speaker here.
I've only heard and used "apto" as the meaning of suitable, for example:
>Suitable for the job
>Apto para el trabajo

>tfw both my english and spanish are garbage
>tfw to inteligent for grammar and orthography
inteligente pero flojo

If you've learned any language besides English, how does it feel to have wasted your time on a soon to die data format?

If you're a convert and have learned glorious mother English, I congratulate you on your wisdom.

>being such a brainlet you can't make your bait related to the board you post it on

Beat me to it. You need several thousand just to read a newspaper

Does esperanto count?

>learning japanese
Tell me what's the fucking reason? You'd be much better off learning Chinese

Why not both?

Meme fanfic language

I never understood this "Chinese is useful" meme, the place is a shithole to live in, even the so called developed cities.

A fuckton of native Chinese speak English, but hardly any native Japanese speakers can speak English. Also
>muh cartoons

So that you can both watch anime and pretend you're doing something with your worthless life.

>English
>German
>+ one of those: Russian, Chinese, Spanish

You are now set in life and learning more than that is mental masturbation.

>Be me
>Be mathematician
>Literally fluent in the language of the universe
>If the ayy-lmaos touched down tomorrow, I would be guaranteed to be able to communicate with them to some extent
>Get shat on by normies because I don't care to learn mere mortal languages
>Tfw can't speak fluent ooga-booga
>Tfw can't speak aloha snackbar
>Tfw can't speak burrito
>Be considered unintelligent because of this

Language has little to no logical basis, therefore it is literally made-up bullshit devoid of value. We should just gas all the brainlets and switch to a math-based language already.

>Chinese

Don't.

>I only lasted two weeks before giving up.
wow
many efforts
much studying
PhDoge
wow

>you have to go to a place to speak the language or use it
Why is Veeky Forums so dumb?

Nice google translate. You meant to say
>הוא לא מדבר עברית

(You) (You) (You) (Probably a FUCKING leaf)
Learn greentext, faggot. I wrote
>not speaking Hebrew
You wrote
>he doesn't speak Hebrew
1/10 made me reply.

Express your entire post in a 'math-based language' cuck

Make/find a mathematical language and try to speak it fluently
protip: you can't

The brain's language mechanisms aren't made to handle pure predicate logic, cause it's not useful to be bound by it 100% of the time in speech.

That's the idea behind the constructed language of Lojban, and what a big surprise that no one actually gives a shit enough about it to learn it.

If you learn Chinese you have to talk to Chinese people, who are horrible. If you learn Japanese you can talk to cute 2d anime girls.

Yes the Japanese People & Anime Waifus are much better than those Chinese

日本人と日本アニメ嫁は中国人よりずっといいよ

I read, speak & can understand English, Portuguese & Japanese
私は英語とポルトガル語と日本語を読める、話せる、理解できる
Eu entendo e sei ler e falar Inglês, Português e Inglês.

I learned more than 3000 japanese kanji
私は3千漢字以上を学んだ
Eu aprendi mais de 3000 kanjis japoneses

such as
蛙(かえる)= Frog
蛇(へび)= Frog
龍(りゅう)= Dragon
虎(とら)= Tiger
梟(ふくろう)= Owl
鷲(わし)= Eagle
鬱(うつ)= Depression
雹(ひょう)= Hail
鯨(くじら)= Whale
鮫(さめ)= Shark
狼(おおかみ)= Wolf

… & thousands more

I dunno I scored high enough on that military made up language test for them to offer me the cryptolinguist intelligence job or whatever. According to that test I'm capable of learning any language so they were gonna pay me to learn Arabic or something I guess. Then they banned me because I take SSRIs.
I only speak English and bits/pieces of Chinese and Spanish.

I speak Afrikaans and English, and barebones Xhosa. All are commonly used where I live.

Fluent in 3 languages (Irish, English and German) and conversational in another 5 (Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Greek and Welsh)

I have bits and pieces of other European languages.