When Shakespeare invented all those words, how did people know what they meant?

When Shakespeare invented all those words, how did people know what they meant?

They didn't, they just laughed because it rhymed

By sucking on his penis

Apparently, a lot of those were slang words used by women at the time.

the people were too lit to notice them

You wanna know how many words Shakespeare invented, kid? 0
Shakespeare was a hack, and none of his ideas were original. Playwrights existing around the same time spoke of Shakespeare collectively under one title: The Leech.
One of his most celebrated works, Hamlet, is almost a recreation of another play that existed at the time: Small Village.
He contributed nothing to literature, and the study of Shakespeare should be banned in the name of literary justice.

what the fuck is that gif

Every time a new word was uttered the actors froze and Billy Shakes walked on to stage, gave the definition and used it in a sentence.

the taking of deborah logan

I'm glad other people call him Billy Shakes too.

Shakespeare didn't invent the words, he just first to record them. With old texts, the first to write something down, is considered the one who coined it no matter how many centuries people were saying it before then.

I can find my own way there, thank you very much.

From the (lost) footnotes.

This

Same way I know what hiphop people are saying when they make up words,

Most if not all of the words he invented were just normal words used in a different way or form. For example, using elbow as a verb.

>One of his most celebrated works, Hamlet, is almost a recreation of another play that existed at the time: Small Village.
wew lad

hamlet is shit tbqh

wtf i hate shakespeare now

Why do you want to silence the voices of brave women of color?

I'd think so too.
How would scholars know if Shakes invented a word? Only if a contemporary mentioned it.
I suppose "Billy demonstrated great verbal creativity" + "many words are first attested in Billy" added up to "Billy invented words" to some retarded journalist.

Johannes Aavik was a real person though.

It is widely known that Shakespeare based Hamlet off of FX's hit crime drama "Sons of Anarchy."
Pic unrelated.

context

it's called derivation

>op can't into linguistic morphology

>op doesnt know the answer to the question he's asking
wow, you must be a genius

Really, this

Also a lot of word-inventors, like Sir Thomas Browne, invented words out of Latin or Greek roots.

um no idiot lol he used ENGLISH the language was already ther

This is the only accurate answer in this thread to OP's question.