Brainlet here...

Brainlet here, what kind of damage one could expect from a 6×20mm projectile traveling 600 m/s BUT has a temperature of 4000 C to a torso assuming the projectile never deforms or change trajectory and that it will pass completely through a human torso.

I know for a human to set fire, first heat has to dry the skin for it to burn, If enough is ignited the process is allowed to continue unless the fire isn't hot enough to keep drying skin. Also if a human has enough heat transferred to them fast enough the water in them would flash and turn to steam. Would this cause an explosive effect inside someone?

I don't know what temperature the projectile would have to be to get these effects since it is small and would pass through very quickly but some estimates or any other suggestions on how to get the same results would be great.

what the fuck are you planning.

This

If it never changes trajectory /at all/ then no work can be done on the human to damage it because no energy is lost from the projectile.

seriously though, 4000 celsius is diamond vaporizing temperatures. what even IS the projectile you had in mind?

With a bullet moving at 600m/s it would spend 0.0005 seconds inside of a person. So it being 4000C is going to be irrelevent in terms of heat. (Just like touching a 150 degree (Celsius ofcourse) stove with your finger for a split second doesn't hurt).

You need to know the exit velocity, to compute the kinetic energy difference of the projectile. Then you can divide that kinetic energy between heating effects, and flesh displacement and start to get answers.

Assuming real physics, the bullet is moving twice as fast as the speed of sound almost. On impact it's going to create a very large hole possibly cutting the person in half.

Assuming no change in speed or trajectory it's going to simply make a tiny hole in someone puncturing maybe an organ. They might not even actually die.

Im not op, im wondering what kind of fucking projectile is op talking about hahaha

Not op, but if the bullet is 4000C and assuming its leaving a small hole, would the hole almost immediately be cauterized?

there wouldn't be anything left to cauterize.

Nothing, I'm not a bored, alien sadist who's probably no smarter than you sitting at work with access to a 3d printer you can only dream of.

I worded it that way to put the emphasis on just the heat damage, I'm not interested in the ballistic damage. A small perfect hole that magically appeared is all I'm suggesting would be made aside from what the heat would do.

I wanted to make sure someone would pop when they got shot even with the brief exposure. If you know it can reliably happen at a lower temperature that would be helpful.

Thank you so much user, there would be at least some energy lost from the impact so I can start there.

I'm not well educated in heat transfer so bare with me if I sound retarded. I understand that momentary contact, especially at that small amount of time is going to limit heat transfer but I don't think I'm understanding how kinetic energy is so important to transferring the heat. What youre saying is the heat radiating off the bolt wouldnt be enough to make the steam unless I had some ridiculous temperature? Would blinking a laser the same temperature through an empty hole like I mentioned above not work either then?

Im not wanting to heat the bolt with friction here and 5.56x45mm, common military ammunition, leaves a barrel at ~3000 fps without extreme heating affects but is known for causing hydrostatic shock, sometimes instant death, at those speeds through kinetic energy alone. You're correct in the displacement of water through kinetic energy making insides pop if thats what you're suggesting but I think you're overestimating damage.

what caused that wound in your picture?

also you still didnt answer what your projectile will be? why 4000 C? was it all arbitrary?

Do you know how hot 4000C is? the surface of the sun is 5505C, magma is 2400C, We don't have any materials capable of withstanding temperatures of 4000C to be used as a projectile, let alone the difficulty of heating something to that temperature in a portable design. The person handling the weapon would die before even being capable of firing it.

I dont think so. The big question is projectile exit velocity.

If it doesnt slow down significantly then the time during which it can conduct heat to the flesh around it is tiny. Even for 4000C.

If it does slow down as it passes then yeah. Medical cauterisation can be as low as 700C. So the heat transfered has to be enough to raise the surrounding flesh to that temperature in the time it takes for the bullet to pass through.

That completely ignoring the fact that if the bullet slows down from 600m/s to something slow enough to cauterize by the projectiles heat.. Its going to take a big chunk,out.

I used to think this and it would absolutely be true at low temperatures but if you transfer enough heat there's potential for a lot more. I'm getting off shift now so I'll have more time to research and work it out but I think the result is going to be either or both:

The heat dries a large enough section outside the wound for it to burn like paper and keep burning as it continues to dry.

Or

Steam formed rips insides and makes a much larger hole.

Probably anywhere hit on the torso will extend far enough to cripple the spine whether through drying it or breaking it.

Weird thread
Tell me about this drool worthy printer though

>
>
>Nothing, I'm not a bored, alien sadist who's probably no smarter than you sitting at work with access to a 3d printer you can only dream of.
>
>
>
>I worded it that way to put the emphasis on just the heat damage, I'm not interested in the ballistic damage. A small perfect hole that magically appeared is all I'm suggesting would be made aside from what the heat would do.
>
>
>
>I wanted to make sure someone would pop when they got shot even with the brief exposure. If you know it can reliably happen at a lower temperature that would be helpful.
>
>
>
>Thank you so much user, there would be at least some energy lost from the impact so I can start there.
>
>I'm not well educated in heat transfer so bare with me if I sound retarded. I understand that momentary contact, especially at that small amount of time is going to limit heat transfer but I don't think I'm understanding how kinetic energy is so important to transferring the heat. What youre saying is the heat radiating off the bolt wouldnt be enough to make the steam unless I had some ridiculous temperature? Would blinking a laser the same temperature through an empty hole like I mentioned above not work either then?
>
>Im not wanting to heat the bolt with friction here and 5.56x45mm, common military ammunition, leaves a barrel at ~3000 fps without extreme heating affects but is known for causing hydrostatic shock, sometimes instant death, at those speeds through kinetic energy alone. You're correct in the displacement of water through kinetic energy making insides pop if thats what you're suggesting but I think you're overestimating damage.
What caused hole?

Shotgun, I misclicked, here's 5.56x45 when shot from close enough to have that velocity.

I'd prefer lower temperatures but I wanted a not too excessive example where I thought I knew the wound wouldnt just be cauterized.

Yes, very hot. I didn't want to discuss how, where, when, or how fast the projectile is heated. Just how the body would react to it at that state. Have some fun friend.

Thank you again user, you're the most fun and helpful in the thread. I think you're right that it would need to slow down now but I need to look more into it. I didn't realize they used temperatures that high but maybe it's only for stopping rapid blood loss and it does dry further in. That's another thing I'll have to look into but it should be a great benchmark.

Making sure it is or becomes slow enough to transfer heat is bringing me to the need for a lightweight or wider bolt, or having it come out slower and that unfortunately hurts range. I also don't know if the heat would cause it to pass through easier and not slow down as much.

I'll check in later tonight if the thread is still alive, thank you everyone, you guys are great.

THNK
Tssss

My sides, oh lawd, pls mercy my kidneys cant handle

You know what mate, why don't we try it on you 'brainlet'

>I foresee great things for you!

wtf how is a 6x20mm round going to cut someone in half dude? even though I don't think that is a standard round, I highly doubt it will be 'cutting the person in half' when even a .50cal bullet won't do that at point blank range.

Got drunk but I said I'd be back and I am, I ended up going into ammunition specifics and kind of ignored my original question, if I did numbers right, the hottest it could get after 5 meters and stay out to 105 meters would cause the edges of the surrounding inch to reach about 4000 Celsius with 5/1000 of a second of contact. All I did was take the water in a not fat human into account but not flesh and bone since they probably wouldn't matter too much. The projectile would be much hotter though and I dont think a casing of any form would hold together there but there's no need to bring it to that level, I just wanted the bolt that hot, that much heat transfered would be overkill. I didn't look into how the heat would spread but I know the amount of steam needed is there with room to drop temperature and extend the range if I went that way. I'd like to get sufficient heat from an easier to find reaction but that's another time investment.

Stop being silly, the other user is right, people don't have the means to make it happen.

It's not a standard round at all, I shouldn't have typed it as 6x20mm, I meant 6mm diameter with 20mm length projectile and has nothing to do with how gun powder is stored. Youre both right on the wound though, there wouldnt be anything left to cauterize around the entry point but anywhere that didnt get blown out would be. 50 cal damages in a very different way than what we're talking about.

>4000C
doesn't matter because whatever the fuck it is you want to shoot someone with is going to vaporize instantly.

Oops, I thought you were replying to the post about there being nothing left. The user probably isn't familiar with ballistics and it can be a tricky subject especially with all the bullshit that gets repeated but he knew that there was a ripping effect caused by high velocities even with such a small projectile. I like him.