Whats the easiest way for a brainlet to calculate the breathability of an atmosphere if given:

Whats the easiest way for a brainlet to calculate the breathability of an atmosphere if given:

1. Atmospheric pressure
2. % of O2 in Atmosphere

Other urls found in this thread:

courses.kcumb.edu/physio/adaptations/alveolar oxygen.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Gabr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Breath-ability isn't just about O2 content. Even if you have ideal O2 levels, you're going to have trouble breathing if the rest of it is nerve toxin or scalding hot steam

understood but if no toxins exist at enough concentration to harm.....

like say an atmospheric mixed of just N2 and O2....

how do I find the threshold of hypoxia or hyperoxia?

also does air pressure effect the toxicity of CO2?

The percentage of o2 in air is always 21, what changes is the amount of molecules of air on a same volume at different pressures.
>P1V1 = P2V2
So you need to research what's the least volume of oxygen that's livable, then plug that in and solve.

hyperoxia is tricky, because people can easily live in a 100% oxygen atmosphere
Now hypoxia, you'll have to do your research. The actual equations are pretty easy.

>The percentage of O2 in air is always 21

only on Earth

how do I figure for different ratios of oxygen to atmosphere?

>people can easily live in a 100% oxygen atmosphere

no side effects for long-term habitability?

Read about arterial oxygen partial pressure, that's the limiting factor you're actually looking for.

Yes, I think there are side effects after 24 or 48 hours can't remember, but if the therapeutic use is needed, they may keep a patient on 100% o2 for more than that.

thanks for the lead

gonna look some stuff up

OSHA says anything between 19.5-23.5% is good.
The absolute minimum to not asphyxiate is 6%.
I'd assume hyperoxia is dependent on other factors like pressure and solubility so it's much more complicated. 1atm of 100% oxygen gas won't hurt you.

Also blood gas tension stops being a brainlet problem after you start taking other gases and different gas concentrations on the atmosphere into account. It may take a few hours or even days until you have a generalized system.

i think I'm on to something

>Calculating the Alveolar PO2

courses.kcumb.edu/physio/adaptations/alveolar oxygen.htm

>The absolute minimum to not asphyxiate is 6%
Wouldn't this depend on partial pressure more than absolute percentage, or is there are reason it would be impossible to survive in 1% oxygen at 20+ atmospheres?

I think he means at 1 atm

Also at such a high pressure you have other problems like N becoming toxic, this is why I said it's a pretty difficult question. Or at least a complex one if not difficult.

OP here

im trying to determine breathability based on variable

1. air pressure
2. % of O2

im not sure im calculating PAO2 correctly

say i wanted to determine my ability to breath in 3.56 atm of pressure with a composition of 27.3% O2.

how would that look?

also water vapor is
0.00138 atm

20atm would cause so many other problems that oxygen content wouldn't matter.

Yes, it's partial pressures. I thought I wrote that but evidently I didn't. A simple way to determine "could I breathe this and not die?" is comparing partial pressures. You need ~.195atm oxygen partial pressure to live. If you know the oxygen content of the atmosphere and the pressure then just determine the partial pressure and compare. If it's less than ~.195atm it's going to cause problems.

Ex you have an atmosphere of 3.762atm with 39% oxygen 61% nitrogen. Partial pressure of oxygen is 1.46atm so you won't asphyxiate.
Ex2 atmosphere 0.56atm oxygen content 16% partial pressure 0.09atm no you die.

makes sense.

wouldn't the volume of CO2 and H20 also play a part in hypoxemia?

as in the Aveolar Gas Equation?

yeah but you asked in the OP for the easiest way. if you don't have enough water vapor in the air you'll destroy your lungs anyway but that's not "the easiest way."
if you're going to use that equation you'd also need to consider the rest of the atmosphere and how it interacts with the atmospheric pressure and a bunch of other complicated shit. your earlier example of 20atm 1% oxygen is "breathable" with a partial pressure of .2atm but you'll be dissolving lots of nitrogen into your blood and die anyway.

might not be breathable actually
dunno if that much nitrogen would just act like an atmospheric exit bag even if you have oxygen available

got it.

>20atm would cause so many other problems that oxygen content wouldn't matter.
Technically, it's still survivable. The record for the deepest SCUBA dive is 332.35 meters, which would have a pressure of greater than 30 atmospheres.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Gabr

Really, diving info seems to be the best source for information about gas breathablity.

>dunno if that much nitrogen would just act like an atmospheric exit bag even if you have oxygen available
It would: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis
At those pressures people use helium-nitrogen-oxygen mixtures.