Tell me the do's and don'ts of making chili, I'm a dumbass yankee who doesn't know his way around it

Tell me the do's and don'ts of making chili, I'm a dumbass yankee who doesn't know his way around it.

Don't just bitch about beans/no-beans, I'm talking more about what chilis/broth/stock/etc to use as a base, what veggies (if any) to put in, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8lKl67RTo
seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

be generous with your seasoning
put in celery
throw in some beer

Chili is a sort of poor man's dish anyway, tomatoes, peppers, and meat were what was in the original, maybe some beans. I'd suggest finding a recipe that isn't too involved and start from there.

The best chili recipes will use blends of peppers, fresh ground meat, and almost nothing from a can...then simmer until done.

First get a decent sized stock pot, put in some fucking google it you ass hat.

>do
copy one of these recipes
chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1
>don't
do anything else until you've tried 2 or 3 recipes from that list.

Beans are fine as a filler don't let the autists tell you otherwise. Always kidney, black, or pinto.
Ground beef can also be tough or tender and generally needs at least a half hour to soften up.
Corn starch to thicken if needed.
Chili needs fat so no extra lean meat shit unless you plan to supplement with lard or something.

Make it spicy as fuck.
Call anyone who can't handle it a pussy.

Chipotle peppers and some adobo sauce are a very strong but extremely necessary ingredient anytime I think about making traditional tomato base chili.

Just throw in random shit you have lying around your kitchen and serve over rice.
If you want some meme ingredients, use cumin, thyme, and [spoiler]chocolate[/spoiler]

Pot, oil, medium high, meat chunks, brown em
Drop to medium, diced onion, assorted powdered chilis, cumin, cocoa powder, mix it up
Tomato paste, dark coffee, hoppy beer, loosy goosy all the stuff on the bottom
Beans? Add em, lower the heat, simmer until you can't wait anymore
Maybe do some oregano, it's been a while and I can't remember, don''t forget to add salt
No stock, no tomato sauce, chili needs to be thick and stick together, so add your spices by the handful, just use bigger hands for the powdered chilis

Use lager or cheap domestic beer as part of your liquid. Pick up and grind some dried chilis to enhance the flavor, along with roasting or using fresh ones.

Veggies:
Red capsicum
Chillies, use a blend of chillies
Onion
Garlic
If you put in corn or other shit like that you are a fucking idiot

Spices and seasonings:
smoked paprika
cumin
turmeric(optional, I like to add it though)
cayenne powder
thyme(optional, I like it though)
onion and garlic powder if you don't use fresh, you can add it in as well as fresh if you want it to taste stronger of onion/garlic
oregano
salt
pepper

Base:
Canned crushed tomatoes or crushed up fresh ones, doesn't matter either way to me
Beef stock or beer
Also forget tomato paste and tomato sauce, canned crushed tomatoes gets better results I find.

That's pretty much it, don't forget to taste it as you go and adjust the flavour if needed, also I find chunky chilli is the best way to have chilli

>celery

DIAF

do americans really eat that?!?

Tomatoes weren't in the original. Neither were beans. There's actually history on this.

Neither kidney nor black. The only acceptable beans are pinto, pink , or cranberry/appaloosa beans.

>Red capsicum
>Chillies, use a blend of chillies
>smoked paprika
>cayenne powder
That is redundant.

DO NOT use tomato paste, especially, or tomato sauce in your chili like some dumbasses have suggested, unless you like eating a bowl of spicy bolognese sauce.
If you want to add tomatoes, add diced tomatoes (canned or fresh) with their juice.

Absolutely not, since all those peppers have a distinct flavor and heat, and WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S CALLED CHILI?

No, retard.
Saying
>use a bunch of capsicum
>also use some capsicum
>some capsicum
>and capsicum
is redundant.

"Red capsicum" is the only redundant term, because it's meaningless and nobody who speaks proper English would say it.

A blend of chilies, smoked paprika, and cayenne powder are all distinct things. the paprika and cayenne are basic dried spices, while the "blend of chilies" are what puts the "chili" in "chili"; they're the dried or fresh chili peppers that you add to your chili based on what's available to you/in season, and what gives character to your stew.

It's amazing that europoors and 'straya makes fun of American cuisine when they don't understand the first thing about spices.

>the national dish of bongland is chicken tikka masala
>they don't know the first thing about spices

Fucking kek.

So you're only supposed to use one kind of chilli only because all variations of the capsicum genus taste the same

I'm the bloke who posted the post that the tard is saying is redundant, I'm from Australia, over here capsicums that are red are sold as red capsicum, green ones are sold as green capsicum etc, I find they each have a slightly different taste.

Also American cuisine like your bbq and chilli is pretty good, shit like Chicago dogs and the ketchup elitism are fucking stupid though.

Veggies don't go in chili

Tomato chunks, peppers, corn, keep it out

look at some recipes and some of the ingredients read like this
>2 tbsp mexico hot powder
>2 tbsp mexico mild powder
>2 tbsp california hot powder
>2 tbsp california mild powder
What the fuck is this. This bullshit won $25k

What the fuck kinda shit is that and how the fuck does it win 25k, some of these chilli's are fucking pathetic.

A couple of recurring ingredients I've noticed are tomato paste and tomato sauce, are these people for fucking real? Do they really not know how to cook down fucking tomatoes and stock

Cook 1lb Ground Beef
Add 1 cup beer
Add pic related
Add canned beans or don't
Pretty easy

Chili is a poor mans stew, use whatever you got, season liberally, cook low and slow and long

Chili was originally made from whatver cheap cut of tough beef they had, cubed or ground up, and cooked over a fire until obliterated.

even professonal chefs will use a dollop of tomato paste to add concentrate flavor to a sauce user.

Went and asked Chef John, was not disappointed

youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8lKl67RTo

Is this a good chili recipe?

time for Veeky Forums to get triggered

Tomato paste I can understand in smaller amounts but these fucks are using entire cans plus entire cans of tomato sauce when they could use normal tinned tomatoes and get an infinitely better results

>we do it live
ree

fuck man that shit takes me back

RIP O'Reilly, got bill cosby'd

So I think he misunderstands you because in the United States if you said the word capsicum people would look at you funny because you said something weird and then the word "cum"

> We just call those bell peppers

To his point though I don't think it was redundant, I understood his post to mean

"Red capsicum": Red bell pepper

"Chillies, use a blend of chillies": Fresh cut up chili peppers, like jalapeno, serrano, habanero, Anaheim, etc.

smoked paprika: A spice that adds smokeyness and red coloring

cayenne powder: A spice that adds a spicy kick and more red coloring

Yeah, never heard it called a bell pepper over here mate, always known it as capsicum, but yeah, I meant that guy saying the shit I posted was redundant is a fuckin retard.

I will literally hate-read and reply to this every time that it is posted. Why.

i made a great pot of chilli/meat and bean stew a few days ago.

1,2 Kg of raw coarsly ground and fatty sausage without the casing
1 kg of canned tomatoes
2 or 3 onions
5 red and jellow cayenne chillies
5 cloves of garlic
can of black beans in chilli sauce
can of drained kidney beans
honey
tomato paste

spicemix (made with mortar and pestle)

white and black pepper corns
cumin
cayenne
columbian chilli powder
coriander
sugar (brown)
paprika powder hot/sweet (had no smoked)
smoked salt

just mix till it looks good.

on high heat

brown the meat, add spice mix fry till fragrant.
add tomato paste and fry a bit more. add chillies, garlic and onion,

add tomatoes, beans and a bit of honey.

lower heat to low, let simmer for at least 2 hours.. i let it sit for abot 3,5 on very low heat. if to hot add more honey. if to thick add a bit of beer, (chicken/beef/vegetable)stock or water.

serve with a bit of cheddar over your favorite pasta or tortilla chips. also goes nice with some baguette.

if you have it tear up some cilantro/coriander and some canned jalapenos or homefermented hotsauce.

enjoy

Pound of ground ckuck, can of tomato juice, pack of chili seasoning, large onion, 2 large green peppers, 2 8 oz kans of kidney beans.
Brown and drain fat from meat and veggeies, add to large pot with juice, beans and spice pack.
Done.

seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html

as always, serious eats has the best recipe

my meatless chili tastes amazing. not sure why people want to put stinky dank and greasy meat in their chili.

No it doesn't, stop lying to yourself, stop lying to your friends and family, stop lying on the internet

original chili was trash then.

it's delicious, especially on a cold day

reddit cancer

I mean the principle of meat and vegetables
and spices simmering together in a pot is pretty simple, just use yuor intuition and most of the time tis very good

>mfw ameritrumps call chili con carne "chili"

Because it originated as meat, salt and chilis pound together and rehydrated on the trail back when spoiled little snowflakes didn't have the "luxury" of being vegan, spoiled or snowflakes.

I'm Australian and I call it chilli, what are you gonna do about it cunt

Bros, rate this recipe my mom emailed me

I had some before I knew about all the meme ingredients and it was actually really tasty

Not bad but I'd leave out one of the cans of tomato paste, the beans cause I'm not a fan of them, sub the beer with more stock and use more beef and make it chunks of chuck beef rather than ground beef

never had good chili before boys
mom's chili was always just meat and beans and sauce
had to drown it in cheese and frank's red hot to mask the flyover

As a britbong, this is how I chilli:

Meat - ground beef is ok, chuck is better, but I like to use shin and oxtail when I can since I can buy enough for both beef stew and chilli and just freeze what I'm not using.

Chilli paste - I tend to blend/grind various fresh chillies, dried chillies together with garlic. when combined I fry for like a minute after toasting some spices but before I deglaze with muh liquid.

Veggies - so I'm a "beaner style" fan, mostly pintos and a few of whatever else I have. I fry onions after the meat until dark and then toast my spices with them. I also often use carrots, bell peppers, celery and mushrooms.

Liquids etc - Dark beer, tinned tomatoes, the liquid from rehydrating the dry chillies, maybe some stock if necessary and a dash or two of worchester sauce. I'll often also chuck in a little dark chocolate in as well.

I usually serve it with rice or cornbread if I can get the ingredients here.

If you're putting in any kind of tomato product, do it near the very end otherwise it will become bitter cooking too long.

Chili should never have carrots or mushrooms.

The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other in the pot. Now, you have to be serious about this stuff. Stay up the night before pressing garlic and dicing whole tomatoes. Toast your own Ancho chilies.
Yeah, chili is probably the thing I do best.

>britbong
>worchester sauce
>worchester
Nope.

Its called dyslexia.

I see.
In the old days they used to call it bone idle ignorance.
Funny how times change.

Were those the days when they beat you with a stick for being a bit slow?

Because thank fuck they have changed.