High GPA

>high GPA
>Good college
>Played sports
>Got girls often

He was a Chad. Why did he an hero?

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/lower-childhood-iq-associated-with-higher-risk-of-adult-mental-disorders/
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/250734.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't.

He was a creepy beta.

Because none of the above will make you happy. He was too navel gazing to realize every single belief he held was wrong. Thinking that the above define happiness sets you further back than even the dismal place he was at. Good luck.

It was a career move
/thread
>inb4 you can't /thread yourself!!!
kill yourselves
/thread

>high gpa because mother worked him like a slave since birth
>good college because above.
>liked tennis a lot but since interviewers never read his work, they would just talk to him about tennis and it became his central thing.
>got girls once becoming famous author. Before was an overworked philosopher to be who couldnt get laid because set theory was cooler. Was miserable in college

It was because of the time he lived in. Wallace's sickness of the soul was not the eccentricity of a single individual, but the sickness of the times themselves, the neurosis of that generation to which he belonged. A sickness it seems, that by no means attacks the weak and worthless only but, rather, precisely those who are the strongest in spirit and richest in gifts.

Because depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain you fucking retards.

>he fell for the chemical imbalance meme

He was the opposite of a Chad

or so he wanted you to think

>he fell for denying scientific facts meme

climate change not real too, kiddo?

Not according to the EPA website as of this week, no.

He's just a meme you guys. He didn't really kill himself. Hamlet doesn't actually die. He's just an actor/director that's pulling your strings.

Turbo-autism can strike down even the most desirable of people.

literally 1984 minitruth tier response.

He lost a girl once. She dumped him. That was enough. He harassed her even after both of them were married. Wrote IJ entirely for her. She never came back.

TLDR: He couldn't get over rejection.

Wasn't one of the major themes of IJ that none of these things make you happy on their own?

This has to be bait, it just is too good.

Was he fat or buff

So what you're saying is that he had an almost neon aura around him all the time of scholastic and athletic excellence and popularity and success with the ladies?

>It was a career move
made me chuckle desu

a bit of both I wager

Not him but the fact that cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness have proven to be far more effective in treating depression than medication implies that it's psychological rather than biological. Psychiatry is a sham.

Who let Dionysus out of the funny farm again?

because no one has a monopoly on depression

>psychological rather than biological
>the psychological isn't biological

Also, having spoken to a ton of people who deal with depression, the common theme is above average intelligence.

>tfw to smart to live

Pretty reductionist way of looking at things.

>that feel when too intelligent to be happy

That simply isn't true. Above average people maybe have the means to seak treatment for depression more than other people but low IQ folk are the most likely to have depression and other forms of mental illness. I know this is Veeky Forums so we love the idea of the sad genius but the reality of the depression isn't so poetic.
>hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/lower-childhood-iq-associated-with-higher-risk-of-adult-mental-disorders/
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/250734.php

truth is he was cheating on his wife (who was screwing his therapist), doing too many psychoactive drugs whilst also realizing he didn't know how to write his last novel the way he wanted to: with a positive message (ultimately, the pale king is not a happy story regardless of how people who either don't understand it or haven't read it try to spin). All this while he was in and out of asylums due to regular breakdowns and it was kind of the ultimate career move, an escape route for someone who was obsessed with his legacy.
Think about it, his early success was over a 15 year period from ages 25-40 and his star was definitely starting to fade at the time, people got him confused with david sedaris and shit.
His "this is water" graduation speech was the closest thing he'd had to acclaim for a long time and the fact that no one realized it was ripped straight from his first major novel (IJ) was probably jst disheartening enough for him to realize how shallow the general public is, thus requiring that he pull off the ultimate career move he'd essentially been setting up for years.
he was a chad, but he was a crazy chad, the good kind imo.

Can you confirm the cheating stuff?

it's alluded to in the backbone story of the pale king as well as in his wife's book about his death "Bough Down".

i liked this part of an article i read:
"I don't think that is the case," she says, though she gets the emails from readers who want to believe this stubborn myth of the tormented genius, want the pain to be a prerequisite for the creativity, want to turn Wallace into some literary James Dean. "People don't understand how ill he was. It was a monster that just ate him up. And at that point everything was secondary to the illness. Not just writing. Everything else: food, love, shelter…"

Wallace once said, in a quote often employed in the obituaries, that he would attempt to "communicate what it felt to be human or he would die trying". Is writing, art, ever worth more than life? From this close up of course it never is. The following day I email Green a couple of questions to clarify some things she had said. She emails back quickly, from her studio, where she is back at work on her intricate paintings, and with what I imagine she would like to believe was her last word on the subject: "David's work is extraordinary and cause for celebration, but not from me. Does his death make it more poignant? Yes. Do I think, if he had lived, he could have made it as poignant as he saw fit? I do. Which is why I can't 'celebrate' it…"

And then her email closes with a reminder of their first meeting, the hope of other fates. "You know, I still," she suggests, "have a different ending (for him, for me): it's the one where he controls his own damn poignancy, and also kisses me goodnight…"

also its a well known fact that he reguarly hooked up with his students. These kind of things. It's clear he had problems, probably somewhat of a misogynist.

that's what happens when you move to California

I think Green is this weird professional widow creature. Did anyone really need a DFW reader (or stranger still, a collector's version with part of a painting by her)? The paperback of Pale King had two extra chapters... Why? Why the huge shitstorm with End of the Tour? Why does This Is Water even exist and what was that shit with pulling that video off of YouTube?

personally i think that's what happens when you make a smart, socially alienated 25 year old into a minor literary celebrity, teasing him with that taste just enough to create incentive to exceed that and then actually being incrediblly successful at that venture in the period of less than 10 years.
It probably fucked with his mind, so when his wife talks about his "depression", i think it's more or less code for his desire to suffer, his desire to transcend himself was his real illness, he put himself through terrible pain to ccreate art. He wasn't a lazy bum who hated the life he was given, he was smart and active and created pain so that he could keep moving.
He just eventually kind burned out reaching critical mass in that department.

she's the ultimate literary widow. She even has the wife name of the character in House of Leaves (in a sense, Dave's big competition for post-modern book of the millenia). Her real last name is Carlson. She originally was flirting with Franzen but Wallace won her over. Guess what she must be like.

What is mindfulness?

Depression IS chemical imbalance tho. What difference does it make how it is caused? Psycho or "biological" bottom line is your horomone levels are misaligned.

source on this?

It's easier to live with depression than her apparently.

that's Mary Karr, the memoirist.
She was much older than him and had a kid already, but Wallace, still in his mid-late twenties, wanted to impress her with his maturity and intelligence even though she could pretty plainly see-through his facade..
she broke his heart and he did a bunch of coke and wrote infinite jest.

i take it back, she was only 7 years older, but she was way more worldly than him (very rough upbringing). He liked to pretend he could relate but all he had was books and aw-shucks charm. still a boy a heart, he wasn't as edgy or as experienced as he wanted to appear. He told people what they wanted to hear.

t. underage /mu/tant leeching off of a literary image that doesnt know shit

>mindfullness
>effective at anything besides impressing your trendy new wave friends

Its 100% true though, and you have no way to refute it besides saying "hurr reductionism!" Which means literally nothing anymore

Doesn't really come off like a genuine misogynist, more like someone with incredibly deep intimacy issues

>new wave
Woops, meant new age

Then what the fuck gives happines, he was even "artist", I'm literally not even close to all the stuff he archived

Shit, that's sad. Completely unsurprising but sad nonetheless.

>dfw you keep obsessing over that girl who broke your heart by, i dunno, one day writing a great book or a terrific pop song