Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lWo1r-qbXZ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Arthur c Clarke sucks and is a fedora

Post proof of Sanderson being Anime.

asking again since nobody will see it

What is playing on the TV?

Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky

I picked this book up because it was on the recommended reading list and I really enjoyed A Fire Upon the Deep by the same author. A Deepness in the Sky is about a group of interstellar traders called the Qeng Ho who scoot about in ramscoop spacecraft at about 0.3c. One of their expeditions is investigating a bizarre star called OnOff, which goes through strange cycles of brightness. For 50 years it shines normally, but for another 220 it almost goes out, indicating some extremely bizarre physics. there is a single habitable planet in the system, and it has evolved intelligent life uniquely adapted to a world where the sun gets so dark the air freezes. The Spiders, as they're called, are at about 1920s technology but are progressing at a remarkable pace.
However, the Qeng Ho are not alone, and are met at OnOff by a group of explorers from a human planetary civ called the Emergents, and bad things happen from there, as the two groups of humans engage in a war over the most lucrative find in all of human history.

Overall this book was pretty good. It had segments that were extremely slow, but I was never bored, simply waiting patiently for characters to make their moves. There's a lot of tension in this book. The characters are somewhat clumsily described, but they are all reasonably well considered and they all show great development over the course of the book. vernor Vinge is at his best when he leverages hard sci fi to create solid character development imo. This book also had lots of really Big Ideas, and I really admire Vinge's ability to really put readers in the heads of alien species without compromising their inherent otherness.

9/10 would recommend.

That picture was taken in Taiwan and the letters are Chinese. Please delete this insulting post

>*raises eyebrow

You should have picked this up. Didn't you see me shilling it all last year?

What more proof do you need?

Answered your question already. It was too repetitive and shit for my liking. I finished the first book but dropped the series after(it was the first book I gave a 1 star review on goodreads, wished I could give it less).

People here will like it and defend it because of mu "nostalgia" and it being their first gri novel as a kid (Stockholm syndrome), but I read it as an adult and it's shit.

You might like it, I don't know, but I will never recommend that book.

Twelfth for chart

Any good books on assassins through PoV or them in general? Maybe something in Asia, though it doesn't really matter where.

Oh damn I was just looking at the OP image in my physics textbook today, since the teacher is terrible. He spends the entire class going on about vacuum energy and "quantum mechanics is like, your soul man" and shit instead of teaching the course. Also he told the class not to use the testing services they provide for disabled people because it makes extra work for him.

Anyways, on-topic, recently I've been reading:

A Small Colonial War by Robert Frezza: Somewhat obscure mil-SF from the early 90s. A unit of mostly-Finnish mercenaries get sent to put down a Afrikaner rebellion on a Japanese colony world. Pretty good despite being dated.

Firelance by David Mace. Even more obscure mid-80s "Nihilistic Red Storm Rising" post-apocalyptic story about a nuclear battleship being sent for a final strike against the USSR. Haven't gotten far into it yet.

Legend of the Drenai series by David Gemmell: Started reading this because I heard it's similar to the Black Company on here a while back. It's really not despite the similar "curt" writing style, Gemmell writes very heroic stories. I'm 3 books in and I don't think it's really my type of stuff.

Third Mistborn book, only for completeness.

Just cracked open the first Malazan, haven't gotten too far into it, only bought it because I got books 2-7 for free from a friend.

What book is most like Dwarf Fortress?

Any good fantasy series with a girl protagonist?

What should I read first:

A childhood's end

or

The sheep looked up

So I finished playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided which wasn't bad, and then played the original DE again which was very very good.

What are some scifi books that feel like Deus Ex? Already read Neuromancer and Electric Sheep.

The Deus Ex novels probably. Plus Neuromancer has two sequels which are okay i didnt like them as much as Neuromancer though

Cyberpunk has that dystopian low-life sci-fi feel if that's what you're going for.

I'd recommend Altered Carbon. Feels a bit more Bladerunnery, and it's heavy on the edge and has left-leaning overtones sometimes, but it's a good read I feel.

>recommending books he hasn't even read
You make me sick.

Night Angel Trilogy

What the heck is bothering me

Assassin's Apprentice

>left-leaning overtones sometimes
Why would that matter? You read books for enjoyment and a different view of things, not to confirm your political views.

You pol cunts are really ruining these threads.
Every thread it's you whining about :
>black characters in books
>women characters in books
>women that fight in books
>some "left" shit in books
>white guy is not the main protagonist in books
>book has raping, white men don't rape
>book has raping, why isn't the black guys doing it
>you enjoying the book until you find out the main character is black/non-caucasian. You then proceed to cry about it in here

Yes I'm fucking triggered that you can't just read a story and keep your politics to yourself.

I read about Nazi soldiers raping people, did you see me come here and bitch about it? No. I fapped and moved on. You should also learn to move on.

>a book that has ZERO ASSASSINATIONS IN IT
>name it assassin's apprentice
don't read this shit unless you want to rage.

Yeah it's actually good instead

>his Asian clone right behind him

It was a little frustrating how there would be long slow periods then sudden action slams, then I realized he was trying to write it in trapdoor spider ambush style, waiting and pouncing.

The spiders written as 40s British people was absolutely delightful, and the STEMlord autism slave virus was a brilliant idea, one of those SF ideas that just stuck with me.
Can't remember anything in Fire that did that for me. Wouldn't say he kept the spiders' otherness, though, the slave autist translators turning them into 40s Brits was a major plot point.

I'm probably never going to read it again. The genki loli growing up to be the Emergent leader's lover made me want to throw the book across the room. I'm still mad about that. Also I felt like the ending was too fast, with too many secrets kept from the reader.

>so mad about a clause he writes an essay

>read book specifically for the apprentice of an assassin
>no assassinations
>good
Take your "muh human interaction" with you cuck.

What is easier to write? Sci-Fi or Fantasy?

>ending was too fast
Yeah, I absolutely agree with this.

>trapdoor spider ambush style, waiting and pouncing.
Yeah I loved that, I plowed through the slow chunks really quickly because he was so good at writing tension and making me wonder when someone was going to make the next Big Move.

>Can't remember anything in Fire that did that for me.
The gestalt dog aliens. The idea of The communication job of neurons being instead done by the high frequency sound waves emitted by specialized tympanum to form gestalt consciousnesses of four or five individuals was mindbending.

What's easier to drink orange soda or dr pepper

Does anybody have a download link for Mike Resnick's Redbeard?

I saw it recommended here some time ago but I can't find it.

Orange soda, how does this relate to the question though?

Is Locke Lamora worth reading past the second one?

I have a novella in progress and another queued up, but they're really both supposed to be part of something that's a whole lot larger than the two put together, and most of the great character interactions are supposed to come from characters that are in opposite stories. On top of all that most of the lore is missing

This is why you guys are shit. Instead of writing, writing, and writing some more then editing, you fucks try to make a story in one go. With all the character developments and hidden surprises also installed. You stop when you come to a wall instead of writing a different perspective or character.

Books AREN'T written in order. Some start at the end, some start at the middle. Editing exists for the main purpose of organizing the clusterfuck of a work you put together.

Kys fucking cash grubbing cunt.

>Kys fucking cash grubbing cunt.

dude, I'm a fucking programmer. Do you think I write because I want money out of it?

looks like your
if (thread == writingadvice):
also mistakenly validates /sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General
Your post isn't relevant to the thread in any way.

These threads are dead lately
Did shills finally left?

I'm sorry, you're pretty much stuck with us.

Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.

>getting fucked by Aurang when you could fuck Aurax

Wtf is that ? What kind of degenerate reads books like this ?

It's actually quite a good read

>Effortlessly, the Xurjranc snapped Valrissa’s tether, and hoisted her before him, held her as though she were a doll.
>Beneath the monstrosity’s claws, Valrissa went very still, like a calf caught in the jaws of a wolf. Her terrified eyes turned from Aëngelas, and rolled upwards beneath their lids, as though trying to peer at the figure behind her.
>“Valrissa!” Aëngelas screamed. “Valrissssaa!”
>Holding her by the throat, the thing languorously picked her clothing away, like the skin of a rotten peach. As her breasts fell free, round-white with soft-pink nipples, a sheet of sunlight flickered across the horizon, and illuminated her lithe curves … But the hunger that held her from behind remained shadowy—like glistening smoke.
>The thing’s free hand traced a thread of blood between her bosom across the plane of her shuddering belly. Valrissa’s eyes returned to Aëngelas, thick with something impossible. She moaned and parted her hanging legs to greet the abomination’s hand.
>A race of lovers …
>The thing screeched like a thousand falcons as it plunged into her. Glass thunder. Shivering sky. She bent back her head, her face contorted in pain and bliss. She convulsed and groaned, arched to meet the creature’s thrusts. And when she climaxed, Aëngelas crumpled, grasped his head between his hands, beat his face against the turf.
>With an inhuman, dragon gasp, the thing pressed its bruised phallus up across her stomach and washed her sunlit breasts with pungent, black seed. Another thunderous screech, woven by the thin human wail of a woman.

I enjoyed Red Seas Under Red Skies but it's entirely different from the first novel. If you like pirates then give it a go. The Republic of Thieves is dogshit.

Is there any book where magic is a mix between practical and spiritual use?
Like weird spirit magics characters could be using to progress spiritually but maybe fight at the same time?

>not fucking alien monstrosities so they can give you immortality

So it's a sugar daddy sort of setup?

Basically. They're a race of sex addict sadistic fleshcrafters and in return for freeing them from their prison, Shaeonanra got "immortality" but also a dicking

Can they not just fuck each other?

they are a race of lovers user

What part of alien rape monster are you not getting here?

I just looked up both Frezza and Mace and both had articles about what killed their careers as like the second hit.
Weird.

Clearly the fundamental concept.

How can humans even compete?

alright my dick is interested
I hope there are a lot of faps to be had

Yeah it's a shame how some promising authors just drop off the face of the earth. Frezza especially, I could see him doing well today with fans of David Drake/Ian Douglas/Jack Campbell style MilSF. Mace apparently tried getting back into the game in the early 00s with some short stories but doesn't seem to have continued.

There really aren't, we're just memeing you. All the erotic shit in the series is either tied up in sexual trauma, rape, or body horror.

Anyone have the passages about Cnaiur stabbing holes in the ground and fucking them?

>All the erotic shit in the series is either tied up in sexual trauma, rape, or body horror.

So, bascially just /d/ in book form?

It's a "what if /d/ was the villain" series

Pretty much yeah

>"Please, Mother," he heard himself murmuring. "It's been so long. I've been so lonely... Only you, Mother. Only you understand."
>He laid her across the great Black Sun embroidered into his coverings. His hands trembled as he fussed with her gowns. His groin throbbed so sweetly he feared he might soil his robes.
>"You do love me," he gasped. "You do love..."
>Her painted eyes had become drowsy, delirious. Her flat chest heaved beneath the fabric. Somehow he could see through the skein of wrinkles that made a mask of her face, down to the serpentine truth of her beauty. Somehow he could see the woman who had driven his father mad with jealousy, who had shown her son the ecstasy of secrets bundled between sheets.
>"My sweet son," she gasped. "My sweet..."
>His fingers and palm found warm skin. His heart became a thunderclap. He ran his hand along her calves, which she shaved in the fashion of the Ainoni, then across her still-smooth thighs. He clutched at her groin, squeezed the haft of her erection

>On the worst nights he hugged himself in the blackness of his tent, screaming and sobbing. He beat the earth with his fists, stabbed holes with his knife, then fucked them.

This one can't be real.

>her erection
what is going on here?

in related news, these two passages got my interest. is this book really worth a read or is it just GRI nonsense?
if it's well written GRI nonsense I might consider it

>I don’t write fantasy – only hacks write fantasy. My books are about the triumph of the human spirit which just happen to have everything you would find in The Wheel of Time

Cause its not his mother. user cut out the part where he jumps back after that.

>qt consult trap will never grind her erection against you

But I liked the book. I just found the Quell stuff cringe-worthy in the book. Have you read it?

The manner, prose and rhetoric has this reddit-tier cringeworthy left-leaning EDGY tang to it, poorly written and incongruent with the quality of the rest of the writing.

DO FUCKING DAMAGE
POLITICS IS PERSONAL
DAE THINK WARS ARE JUST BECAUSE MEN CAN'T GIVE A GOOD FEMALE ORGASM (literally in the books)

I am right-leaning, and the fact it has those overtones is inconsequential to me especially when I actually liked the writing. I wasn't 'triggered' by it or anything. I just found myself trying to hold back nausea at how lame it was.

>Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
I see this all the time, what is it from?

Don't encourage him.

The Second Apocalypse series by Scott Bakker.

What else do you read besides sci-fi/fantasy?

youtube.com/watch?v=lWo1r-qbXZ0
This right now, some of the fictionalizations go into the absurd an surreal.

Old books about computers. Bonus if they're written by an 80's SciFi author.

To be fair, he's literally losing his mind at this point

Bakker writes the best GRI available

Any good sites that put out book reviews / impressions frequently?

history and historical fiction

>tfw was writing a grimdank fantasy novel
>one of the ensemble was a eunuch trap who was addicted to whoring himself out
>those shameless boners thinking of the romance between him and the always serious nobleman who constantly rejects his not-so-subtle advances
Thanks for reading my blog.

Horror. Biographies and essays. Sometimes poetry.

Anyone read William Morris? Read somewhere he influenced Tolkien, so went and picked a story from him on a whim from pgutenberg and I love it. Better than all the Tolkien copycats. Shorter, dialogue heavy, bit pervy, a surprise for older work, but the mood is spot on.

It's Cnaiur, the insane, genius, gay-rapist barbarian!

Is it worth reading?

>You have a lot to learn about friendship, Vin
What did Kelsier mean by this?

>Eunuch
>Penis
I think you're missing the point

It's not easy finding good modern stuff, but you're nowhere near it.

Read Alamut

>greentext memeshit
>greentext isn't even the right colour or font
0/10

You piqued my interested. Got me to look this up and read the rest of the Chapter
>The abomination then gave his weeping son—sweet, innocent Bengulla—to the Sranc

>And when the Sranc made a womb of Aëngelas himself, it asked—with each raper’s thrust

Yup, wouldn't be Bakker without homosexual rape.

Have I got the series for you, buddy:
Mistborn

>uses "degenerate" and "never heard of it" as criticisms
3/10, made me reply

>>greentext isn't even the right colour or font

>abusing your eyes with anything but futura?

>never heard of it means it's bad
>looking for recommendations

Jesus Christ you're fucking stupid

I've only read House of the Wolfings but I loved it. Really scratched a Tolkien itch I didn't even know I had.

r-rate mine

cosmerefag?