Would you choose the pleasure machine?

Would you choose the pleasure machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habituation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Only if I had nothing left that I cared about knowing enough to put me off. It's kinda like being offered a great new Netflix show which you can watch if you abandon the one you're watching. If the one you're watching isn't as good but you still want to find out what happens in later episodes you probably won't abandon it for the show even though it is better. Same with life e.g. what happens to my friends, family, projects I've invested myself in etc. Projects in the real world that I desire knowledge about, which no simulation of the machine can provide.

Though I should probably add that such a view does depend on a problematic causalist epistemology.

>such a view does depend on a problematic causalist epistemology.

the fuck are you talking about?

is this about infinite jest?

love dfw haha

>ywnb a cute lesbian in san junipero
>heaven will never be a place on earth

Did he make a virtue machine as well?

It's objectively the best experience possible

but its not """real""" brah

Why is there a picture of Nozick beside this question instead of Tesla?

Being drunk/high isn't real either

Because Nozick was a philosopher and Tesla was a hack fraud meme

those digits are the best experience possible

Said the elephant killer

I feel like life would be torturously boring without pain and suffering. The low points make the high points all the better. Pleasure and good times all the time would make me want to blow my brains out

Tell me more about Tesla being a hack

>rationalizing pain and suffering this hard.

You're mistaking cause and effect here.
We suffer cause of our ambitions, and that's what gives meaning to our life: our goals.
Pain and suffering is just a result of the dissonance between the need of having a goal and the struggle to reach it.

The pleasure machine is an inferior form of existence cause of its inherently static nature.

Then why not spend your time in the experience machine having good times and bad times?

In a heartbeat.

Nozick's thought experiment simply proves the irrationality of people, our capacity to delude ourselves against our interest.

>The pleasure machine is an inferior form of existence cause of its inherently static nature.
You can unplug from the machine periodically if you wish to experience the harshness of reality, or simply program in some difficulties in between all the orgies. It doesn't change the question of simulation vs reality.

The apparent world is the only one. The true world was merely added by a lie.
-- Freddy Neechee

>Would you choose the pleasure machine?
Most people ALREADY choose the machine, it's not as sophisticated but what are drugs if not the same thing? No-one would choose to be an alcoholic, but give them a taste and it'll happen.

>implying i haven't already

It'd be far superior to my current life of desperate escapism, so, yeah. God yes.

THIS TBQHWYF
I've had a conversation with a group of friends about this pleasure machine, and we all agreed that we'd go into the machine except for one of us.
Their reasoning was that it's not real life, and you don't get to have other emotions but didn't bring up why it would be such a terrible thing not to have other emotions, I felt the only reason why they chose not to is simply to be a contrarian and to feel that they were better than, they're that type of person from past experiences with them

Without defining the best experience it's not obvious that it can be attained via a simulation machine.

According to google pic related is the pleasure machine

I'll take four

Maybe it is a mere rationalization, but it's better than wallowing in self pity because life is rough

I'm not taking about cause and effect; I'm just imagining a world in which i succeed in every endeavor and receive everything i want. It'd be nice for a week but then it'd be hell
What would be the point?

Well it turns out i was wrong. I WOULD like to be inside a pleasure machine

>against our interest.
Which is universal and what again?

Or perhaps it shows that there is more to a fulfilled human life than just pleasure. I'm not saying you are wrong, only that you have assumed things, such as what our best interest means, and the nature of morality, which lead you to your assertion. It is that from these assumptions you are saying that everyone who disagrees with you is a deluded fool

There is an enormous difference between choosing something that brings pleasure and the pleasure machine. It's like saying someone is choosing an inferior pleasure machine because they add sugar to their porridge.

>No-one would choose to be an alcoholic
Of this I disagree. I also disagree that all alcoholics are so because it brings them pleasure. A great many people drink not for pleasure but to mask pain. These are not the same thing.

>Most people ALREADY choose the machine
The vast majority of people have no dependency on drugs.

no, and I would destroy everyone else's pleasure machines just to spite them

We discussed the experience machine in an introductory ethics tutorial today and it was a disgrace.

>you should plug in to the machine if your life is shit and you cant afford your rent
>you shouldn't plug in because """"real"""" life is intrinsically better
This is the standard of discourse at a 500 year old university.

The real answer is of course that the distinction between real and artificial experience is arbitrary and from a hedonistic point of view you always ought to select the experience machine.

>Which is universal and what again?

tell that to Duran Duran.

>Pleasure and good times all the time would make me want to blow my brains out
It wouldn't, you just have a hard time imagining it. If the pleasure would cause you suffering to the point of becoming suicidal it would not be a pleasure machine.

Stasis is not in itself problematic.

that's not how the nervous system works at all

>What would be the point?
To make the good experiences fun; for instance, you could be having a giant orgy for hours and then get beaten up, then go back to the orgy in order to make it pleasant

Yes without hesitation. I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

have u even seen the matrix? it doesnt work without suffering

take the blue pill

>human generators

trannies suck at simulation theory

party on :D up the irons \M/

pleasure is intrinsically painful

i understood this reference

also yes

L O L

Pleasure isn't a concrete thing that can be activated by some labcoat psychologist. It only exists in opposition to pain. After a couple of hours in the machine you would experience 'pleasure' as your normal, baseline state and need more 'pleasure' to feel pleasure

Read some Neechee or talk to your local wino

>I am a pleb who thinks he has something to contribute because no scary 'Authors' were mentioned in OP

kill yourself

refute me faggot

>Pleasure isn't a concrete thing that can be activated by some labcoat psychologist
Sure it is. Let me just pump you full of dopamine, serotonin and a bunch of endorphins. We'll see if you don't feel happy.
Unless you mean in the "I'm in so much pain but it's making me stronger, such PLEASURE" type deal because fuck you then

And no, you wouldn't feel less pleasure after a bunch of hours. You'd feel the exact same amount because those chemicals ensures it. You wouldn't be able to feel bored or in pain with the right amount

>I felt the only reason why they chose not to is simply to feel that they were better than [us]
So that person is motivated by pleasure more than being honest? Sounds like you guys are more similar than you thought, fucktard.

Digits confirm

> Let me just pump you full of dopamine, serotonin and a bunch of endorphins.
I know what you mean on principle obviously, but lol

Yeah, I'm going to pump you full of pleasure

>Pleasure isn't a concrete thing that can be activated by some labcoat psychologist
In this case it is. Have you even read the book OP is quoting from?

>dopamine, serotonin and a bunch of endorphins
>equals pleasure

Being human requires accumulating experiences, but the only way to be in ecstasy indefinitely is to block the ability to do so. Otherwise we would be conditioned to pleasure, and it would cease to be pleasure. Indefinitely increasing pleasure isn't feasible; the only way would be forced amnesia.

A pleasure machine would be a great way to get rid of useless people though, and I'd probably take it for a spin on the weekends if possible.

The point is that the machine does not provide a genuine experience. Would you rather live in blissful ignorance or be enlightened to the true nature of existence, accepting the risks of adverse consequences? If the former, why are you discussing literature instead of burning it?

Yes it is.

>The point is that the machine does not provide a genuine experience.
But it's you who feels the experience, and you feel it as if it's lifelike, and you don't know your in a machine

>genuine
Spooked hard

He once paid for his hotel room by giving the owner a sealed prototype of his death ray, and warned him not to open it without the appropriate precautions.
After his death, the hotel owner opened the box and found only spare mechanical pieces

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habituation

Have a gander assface

The brain adjusts its pleasure threshold over time and experience. Hence a starving child enjoys a scrap of bread more than a billionaire his weekly foie gras. Continually receiving pleasure chemicals will drive the threshold so far up that after a couple of years you would need an absurd amount to get the kick you once had. Wouldn't work, physically

As a purely hypothetical scenario (which is probably Nozick's point) I would decline. Living for pleasure alone seems myopic