What is the hardest class you've ever taken? Alternatively, what's the hardest subject you've ever studied?

What is the hardest class you've ever taken? Alternatively, what's the hardest subject you've ever studied?

I want to see how many of you actually study science and how many of you are pop-sci faggots littering our board.

High school geometry. I mostly just come here for the /pol/ banter.

applied theoretical quantum physics

Please be bait.

Advanced Organic Chemistry 2

Was harder then quantum chemistry and statistical thermodynamics because it actually requires critical thinking rather then endless calculation.

Calc 2

Failed that class twice desu

I failed discrete math 3 times

Stochastic differential equations was both hardest class and subject

Graduate quantum field theory or graduate algebraic geometry. I find qft more interesting.

This. Who the fuck comes here for actual science? There are dozens of other forums for that. Veeky Forums is a calm /pol/ sub-board and always will be.

>Veeky Forums is a calm /pol/ sub-board

>hardest class you've ever taken
Does your thesis count as a class? If so, that.

Actually if you took a thesis and it was [math]not[/math] the hardest thing you've had to do, you probably did it wrong.

I also found discrete to be the most challenging. I passed, despite the professor being a prick and me skipping a month of lectures.

Variational calculus. Even today, I don't know what's going on with them.

real analysis so far

dermatopathology is by far in pathology the most hard to study because too many pathologies looks the same in the microscopy but actually i like it! and keep studing it!

Quantum Field Theory II
Shits just a bunch of made up stuff, yo.

Probability.

Masters level organic chemistry.

The course was covering the principles behind the chemistry, and then the exam was application of those principles on examples we hadn't come across. You can't just memorise the answers, you really needed to understand the material -- which is a fucking nightmare in organic with all the 'exceptions to rules', and the sheer number of factors you have to consider.

Time-frequency analysis.
The professor had done research on various time-frequency transforms, so the course included some underlying stuff about differential forms and quantum inequalities, that are completely out of my field. Nonetheless, passed it with full marks by applying Fourier and distributions and being very careful with the fancy stuff.

gender studies.

Group Theory in Modern Theoretical Physics
It was an accelerated course by any standards.

Turbulence modelling

"Symmetries of fields". It was pretty much just an into to Lie groups for physics. Made harder by:
>The lecture notes were the most terse things I've ever read in my life, seriously they were pretty much useless
>There was no book that covered everything he went over
>Physicists super special notation
It was interesting though.

organic chemistry is AIDS, i don't understand why i still do it

GET OUT OF MY FUCKING BOARD ?POL?FAGS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah I feel for you guys.

I'm a double major and I see how physicist just get thrown into masters level math without any background other than calculus and linear algebra. It's brutal.

I have a hard time myself despite having a math bachelors.

Fuck this

Mechanistical Organic Chemistry, plus Nuclear Magnetic resonnance (or whatever it's called in english) and Infrared Spectrometry.

Bitch of a subject, super hard to master.

Also systems analysis. From the perspective of process control. With the stability curve, and Derivtive, Integral and Proportinal aditives to cobtroll the stability curve. It was very interesting, but it was a bitch at first.

I have come to the conclusion that there are no hard subjects, only incompetent professors. My Real Analysis and Statistical Mathematics classes were taught by outstanding people, while my economics classes have always been taught by such retarded mongrels they were harder than QFT

RUSS 110 - Russian Culture and History

Fuck gen eds

Why does my temperature controller freak out when I set the derivative setting to a non-zero value. The *actual* reading will jump .5K in half a second which isn't possible, even if the sample was at 70K and I put the heater on full blast. When I set the derivative to zero it stops freaking out.

Calculus I. It was a wall I hit when I first encountered it. I struggled with its concepts for so long, but afterwards everything became simple. Man, final year of primary education, amirite?!

Microscopic physical chemistry was kind'a hard, I think.

Dynamic System Modeling & Control. It was constructed to be the hardest course in the curriculum.

This was my syllabus:

Introduction to Group Theory
Finite Groups
Representation Theory
The Symmetric Group and Young Tableaux
Topological Groups and Lie Groups
SU(2) and SO(3)
Global and Local Properties of Lie Groups
Lie Algebras
Representations of SU(2) and SU(3)
Complex Semisimple Lie Algebras and their Representations

We ended the course with the classification of semi-simple lie groups

Self teaching from a discrete textbook right now. What was it about/from the course that gave you a hard time? Asking so I can try to focus more on those areas when I get to them

In physics, anything related to quantum memes. Fuck this shit.

In my math course, everything is o.k. except for number theory. My professor is a fucking demon.

are you speaking PhD thesis or bachelor/master's thesis?

If the latter, what can I expect, and how does it work?

Algebraic number theory, didnt understand shit until it clicked, and even then...

Mine was similar, but no group and rep introduction (that was covered in a pre req). It covered
>Topological groups (briefly)
>Lie groups
>Lie algebras
>Adjoint representation
>Some applications to physics
Then some bits I don't quite remember
>Gauge theories

Lel, I had this same experience. It used to be three semesters of classes but they crammed it all into one. It was still slightly easier than the class I took on the finite element method.

I think my functional analysis class was the most difficult one. From todays standpoint I would say some homological algebra class, because I really suck at pure algebra for some reason. As long as it's used in geometry/analysis it somehow becomes clear though.

If you like that and want a strictly mathematical text check out "Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations" by P. Olver. It's one of my favourite books.

>Veeky Forums is unironically filled with mathfags
So much potential wasted on teaching high school seniors about fractions.

All other STEM degrees won't post because of the big overpopulation of mathfags desu.

But I know how to roast all of them but also give /adv/ice to them as well.

quantitative analysis, the experiments were graded based on % yield/purity, the tests were very difficult, ect. made me really appreciate instruments/how inaccurate measurements and experiments are though, and how to improve results.

Advanced cell biology was also fairly hard, but only because we had very few tests and tons of potential protein pathways on them.

meant for

I'd suggest getting plenty of practice proving things by induction. The principal is simple, but can be hard to apply in practice, especially when figuring out where to apply the inductive hypothesis (or whatever it's called).

Wavelet Analysis.

Brainlet Analysis.

Same. Expected that one to be easy as fuck but it turned out to be just a bunch of facts to learn about brainlets without any patterns or connections

Metabolic engineering.

Half Organic chemistry, half regulatory genetics. Fun fun fun.

finance bro spotted

>eating the bait this fucking hard

at my school discrete's difficulty was directly tied to the professor
some just throw you babby's first inductions for a couple months while others are like "induction/recurrence at this level is too easy let's do this for a day and stop"

>what's the hardest subject you've ever studied?
String Theory

So many different types of math being used simultaneously.

in terms of grading: circuits
class had an obnoxious and broken grading policy. it's not uncommon for people to score above average on the tests by blindly guessing. (considering the class average on the midterms was around 2/7 correct, not unreasonable)

in terms of me being a brainlet: dynamics
i just don't get it. everything moved and vectors were being ejaculated out perpendicular to literally everything

The lectures I took on machine learning were totally beyond my understanding of mathematics, which I excelled at in high school but hadnt really refined in the previous two years of undergraduate study

analogue electronics
filter stuff was great rest was crap mainly due to lecturer

High school was pretty rough, but I am here to post gorillas and entertain people
Imagine how boring this place otherwise would be, there is only so much autism a man can handle

So much math for something so wrong :^)

Bring it on, you faggot.

It can't be wrong when it isn't even close to being compete

Artificial Neural Networks with physicist lecturer who liked to explain things in terms of condensed matter physics

t. software engineer

Care to elaborate what about wavelet analysis is difficult?

Probably philosophy of language. Concepts and arguments constantly went from examples and straightforward texts to Wittgensteinian levels.

way harder than multivariate statistics or network dynamics of the brain

t neuroscience phd