What are your thoughts on this novel?

What are your thoughts on this novel?

It's about a road. Written by a guy named Cormac, if I remember correctly.

its pretty dull

Yuh huh
Heartbreaking, haunting and emotionally shattering you mean?

I enjoyed it. Especially page 22. But page 40 was a total shocker.

We don't speak about page 89.5 though.

I cried in public while reading it.
that's all I have to say about that.

>corncob tortilla yecarthy's oprah book
it's trash

pretty much this.

Probably one of the greatest works of post-apocalyptic fiction from a literary standpoint but definitely McCarthy at his weakest.

Something tells me he was even aware of this but with his original drafts of the work he knew he could crank out something that is topically accessible to a broad audience and sensationalize it through a media campaign (Oprah) just to score some cash. Which he definitely did and I don't blame him.

I'd be annoyed if throughout my career my contemporaries were getting rich and were acclaimed off of sensationalized garbage that just got churned up and commercialized through Hollywood. But I think he's been trying to milk the system since NCFOM and might continue with his upcoming novel, especially considering hes writing a female lead character, pretty much the first time hes written a female in general.

Any McCarthy other than BM is just BM (((Bowel Movement)))

McCarthy at his most accessible, and also by far his most minimalistic prose. It makes for some beautiful, very bleak reading:

At a crossroads a ground set with dolmen stones where the spoken bones of oracles lay moldering... What will you say? A living man spoke these lines? He sharpened a quill with his small pen knife to scribe these things in sloe or lampblack? At some reckonable and entabled moment? He is coming to steal my eyes. To seal my mouth with dirt.

I liked the movie better tbqhf

Fag

kys

I cried. Very good. Definitely behind BM and CoG though.

Heard it won the Pulitzer Prize.

Honestly I thought it was pretty bland. It was an interesting premise that didn't go anywhere or really develop at all. A lot of the dialogue felt campy, like I was reading a cheesy movie script that was trying too hard to be emotional. For a book that revolved entirely around the relationship between two characters, they sure were one-dimensional.

It felt better in the movie. The bleakness shines through

i'm reading it for my course later this semester, looks promising

fight me

Agree with this.

I'm really surprised anybody could cry from reading this, I thought it was pretty emotionally unconvincing.

Reallyade me wonder why no one hooked up some form of bicycle to some UV lights or some shit and grew potatoes underground. Or why they didn't filter water. Or why they didn't grow mushrooms.

I like the way he makes the main characters just as faceless and grey as the landscape. It really adds to the feeling that these people have no history. Also, the fact that they are traveling down a road without really reaching a destination sort of outlines the hopelessness of their situation. It has an element of the cliche to it but that's mainly due to the genera.

It's not that kind of story.

read it in a small cell as a young convict in a child's prison. i recall being surprised that from the bleak and dull moments arose yet more bleakness, a bunch of cannibals, and a mattress.

i liked vonnegut and heinlein much much more, needless to say. whether or not that is a valid criticism of the book is irrelevant, since every fucking person sucks this book's dick to no end.

too much gay shit

The Long Walk was better.

This. Maybe the best way to get into McCarthy. At least it's the way I did and I've been in love with him ever since.

Yeah this isn't the Martian.

What were you convicted for?

aggravated battery on a police officer.