Thesis or non-thesis masters?

Thesis or non-thesis masters?

God, I love British women.

4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 1

Your master's thesis is really just an exposition on some reasonably advanced topic, if anything it's useful practice for writing papers and eventually your doctoral thesis itself.

I love girls wearing tights

I don't plan on doing a PhD, I want to go into industry. Have a comfy job setup at Lockheed for me

Both academia and industry prefer graduates who have done a these over those that haven't.
If you're afforded the privilege of doing so, there's literally no reason to refuse (unless you can't afford the time/resources to commit to one, in which case you're explicitly acknowledging that the quality of your education will suffer as a consequence).

Like said a thesis is usually preferred as it is a tangible demonstration of the specific things you are an expert on.

So it wouldn't be wise to go into a M.Eng coursework-based program? I am not closing the door on a PhD but I am most definitely, at this point, looking to go into industry immediately after (I'll be fucking 32 when I'm done my PhD otherwise).

Also, are "1 year" masters programs shit? I've seen a few at like UIUC and some other credible schools

None. Just do a PhD and get out.

but I want to work in industry

>Also, are "1 year" masters programs shit?
There are definitely several reputable ones, so I wouldn't say that as a rule. I suppose it's just a different focus, maybe more industrial.

Followup question: I'm currently enrolled in a Masters program, but I realized after I got in that I'd like to do stay on for the PhD. I'm meeting with a professor at the university soon to begin research, so if all goes well am I very likely to get accepted to the PhD program?

>M.Eng
I am not an engineer but I suppose you'd be doing a "project" rather than "thesis". Like tinkering with the schematics of a parts manufacturer to develop a better design or something.

In any case it's still superior to doing nothing but coursework (which a non-engineer can replicate simply by downloading textbooks and working on the exercises).

If you're going into industry I'd actually suggest not doing a PhD, oddly enough in some cases it can actually hurt your chances of getting the jobs you want. For mech E it would be advantageous to do a thesis as a good thesis shows you have experience and differentiates you from the rest of the applications in a positive manner. I would caution you with picking your thesis topic though, make sure it is relevant to the industry your heading into,as the person you'll be writing your thesis under will (if they are a good adviser) tell you the ins and outs of the industry, help you establish connections, and give you a topic conducive to getting a job. Be sure to communicate your intentions clearly with the people you're working with so they can most effectively help you get where you want to be.
If you are already working with a professor at a university in some master's program then it is pretty likely you'll get into that school's PhD program.

Yeah the programs I'm applying too are very concise and related to the industry (Aerospace). I'd be doing an aerospace masters and my thesis would probably be propulsion related. I think I'll go with the MS over the MEng

Sounds cool user, though if I were a risky customer I'd try working on nanotechnology with application towards aerospace, just to keep my options diverse and my skill set rare.

You are in the exact same position as me right now, with one difference. I have a prof who said he would be happy to do my PhD research with me.

>aerospace
But why, it's such a shit field

t. Aerospace Master's student and engineer

Based on what I know I'd assume you're golden, but you should probably talk to the department at the beginning of the semester to make sure funding won't be tight.

great pic

They're either full of themselves or inner city thots

It's an awesome field when you work in super high-tech space shit, dude.

judging by the relation between the numbers, im guessing that your top 3 is the same as mine as well as 4th and 5th but im unsure of the order of the top 3

howd you know they english

1 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 2

if you dont like tall women, there's something wrong with you (faggotry)

>If you're going into industry I'd actually suggest not doing a PhD
i've gotten this advice from more than one person lately. i'm in an ms for math and i doubt i'd try the phd. thank you for posting it makes me feel a lot better about my chances. for anyone who could use the information i'm was recommended to do my thesis with my current advisor solely because of his industry connections. seems like a good route and i'm excited to not fuck my life up.

Good luck user, hope things work out for ya

>I suppose you'd be doing a "project" rather than "thesis".
Not that guy but in my course I do both and they are different.
>Two 6 month projects
>One 12 month thesis
I don't know what the ins and outs of the differences are because I haven't started either yet.