Head Transplant

Will this really happen? How is the progress on this? Literally no sources on anything keeping alive for more than a month after the procedure, supposedly a monkey got 20 days until it was killed because of "ethical reasons".

Is this a meme or could this work? What are the biggest challenges to overcome?

Will it finally solve the old question whether the soul is located in the heart or the brain?

It'll work until the head is rejected. The body won't be able to move due to the neck being severed. There's very little this will actually accomplish than to check off a record on a list.

Destroy immune sustem

Yes that mitigates the rejection issue, and in controlled conditions that might not get him killed for a long time. Still kind of a shitty deal.

Are they planning on connecting all the nerves? Or will the body just be there to keep the head alive?

as lang as we're talking about the procedure by Canavero - he claims to have some sort of technique involving re-connecting the spinal cord with polyethylene glycol.
Supposedly the patient should be able to feel his body, but it's unknown whether he would control it.

Also, as far as I know he has never successfully re-connect any animal's head and kept it alive for long enough to learn if it works properly. All the animals were put down within days because of "ethical reasons"

They're going to try to reconnect the nerves. It's not likely to work out well.

Sounds like they're getting ahead of themselves.

Kek

Will the body reject the head, or will the head reject the body?

>involving re-connecting the spinal cord with polyethylene glycol.

Why doesn't he just go and get a few people out of wheelchairs then?

>Will this really happen?

Yes. A Chinese surgeon who is part of the team that will be doing the transplant has been practicing daily on mice for god knows how long. It's obviously really controversial and has ethical problems. I believe the actual operation will happen in China or Russia because of this. Also financing is a problem last I heard. The surgery itself will cost millions. Not sure if they have raised the money from private donors or what but it is set for sometime in 2018 I think.

according to his claims: A spinal cord that was damaged for an extended period of time cannot be properly repaired with his therapy. The entire idea is that he puts the patient in a prolonged coma to absolutely erase any sort of neural signals from the spinal cord, then cools it, then makes an ultra-clear cut with an extremely precise knife. Only such a clean cuts could be properly glued together.
A If the spinal cord is just broken, then it's frayed, a lot of the neural fibers are already dead, and it's impossible to properly weave it back together.

Also, to everybody who is only partially aware of what doctor we're talking about here:
Dr. Sergio Canavero is an italian surgeon claiming to be able to transplant a head. He aims to perform the first human procedure either by the end of 2017 or in 2018.
One of the most likely subjects is Valery Spiridonov, a wheelchair-bound russian man who has a fully functioning spinal cord, but a muscle-wasting disease.

Isn't it more of a body transplant than a head transplant?

You're right, but either way it's just semantics.
When the commanding officer gets reassigned from one vessel to another you can both say that "this captain got a new ship" and "this ship got a new captain"

You could also argue that if we don't look at it from human-consciousness-centric perspective, but rather by gross living cells count, then there are more living cells remaining in the old body as they were.

>"Ethical reasons"
Let's be honest. The animals were able to access 64% of their brain's capabilities and they screamed at the doctors about how much constant pain they were in because every nerve in their body was firing off the "HOLY FUCKING FUCK, THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT MY HEAD GET IT THE FUCK OFF ME RIGHT NOW" signal.

>THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT MY HEAD
*body

then why the fuck try it on a human?

Because he wants to live.

it will be a body transplant at best

he would probably live longer on his original crippled body anyway. He wont live longer than 30 days without asking doctors to finish him off.

the guy expressed that he'd rather die for science than go on living like this.

Reread it please.

Who's it hurting? If it's not hurting anyone, and/or all the participants are voluntary, what's the ethical issue exactly?

At least that's how I see it.

could a male head be attached to a female body?

Maybe, but probably not for very long. Your head and the body you're attached to would terribly reject one another.

Eh, I don't see why the rejection should be that much harsher than same-sex transplant. The only difference is that you would probably need special hormonal therapy for the rest of your life and your sexual organs would never be able to function correctly.

just take rejection meds

This got me thinking.. is it even possible to get an eye transplant, if the receiver's damage came from the eye (or severed optic nerve) rather than the brain?

no, its not possible

not at our current level of technology

The only reasonable objection is that you could take many organs from the body of the donor and save many people instead of only 1

It's a great idea and the experiment should be supported

If a man has a body riddled with inoperable in curable cancers and he's willing to roll the dice for the chance to get a lease of life with a new (well, second hand) body, then WHO THE FUCK are you to object?!? You meddling little cunts. maggots like you sicken me with your virtue signalling and self indulgent moralising

Only time will tell if it could actually work. But why do it? By the time we can we can probably just attach the head to a robot body so you don't have to take a shit ton of pills everyday and you don't have to worry about jacking off another man's dick.

>64% of their brain's capabilities

who are you yelling to.
Maybe like, two people here are against this, the rest are just wondering whether this can be done at our current level of knowledge about the human body.

its a body transplant, not a head transplant

It'll never work in the way that people would call a success; being able to control the host body and lead a useful life. If anything it will be like a biological version of a heart/lung machine, with the donor body keeping the head alive but nothing else. You can't hook a spinal cord up to another body and expect it to work.

Gee, what do you think?