What's all this talk about what "Truth" is?

What's all this talk about what "Truth" is?

Something is true if it's a fact, i.e. it can be proven with evidence.

Everything else is opinion.

What's the big problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You just solved philosophy.

holy shit

mind = blown

upvoted

Give me something that is under debate regarding truth and I'll let you know whether it's true or not according to my theory.

Math is proved without physical evidence, and is in some sense "truer" than petty physical fact.

The only zeroes of the Riemann zeta function lie on the negative reals and 1/2+iy for y a real number.

Can you prove that your lap exists while standing up? At what point do your legs end and your lap begins? Could you point out on an anatomical diagram where the lap is on an upright figure?

Of course you can't – the true actualisation of the lap can only occur at the moment ones thighs are positioned at an angle parallel to the ground. A lap is only a lap when it becomes a surface, when the appendages originally intended for walking are transformed into a single object offering rest and support. Thus, what we can reasonably say concerning the "truth" of the lap is that it exists at at the threshold between real, physical components (the legs) and a linguistic frame of reference, which designates its function and use according to the relation between figure and ground (either walking or resting).

There is no evidence to suggest that everyone has a lap, because so much of our time is spent standing up: unless the population of the world were simultaneously seated, it would not be possible to make such an outrageous universal claim. It is, nevertheless, true that human beings do indeed have laps. This is not an opinion; yet any evidence I could present to you to prove this claim would be already redundant.

Is this true, according to your theory?:
>Something is true if it's a fact, i.e. it can be proven with evidence.
>Everything else is opinion

So for something to be true, it must be proven with evidence? Can you give me evidence that you're not a fucking retard? Because until said time, it's just conjecture.

facts are circumstantial. truth is not limited to circumstance. otherwise it would not be truth, merely information whose validity is contingent on extraneous variables.

furthermore, truth can be hidden from plain sight until revealed when the conditions for its unveiling are met. I.e. climbing a mountain and seeing from a new perspective, or the accrual of experience.

the problem is when people take trivia as the truth when truth is something that encompasses everything; i.e. it is universal.

No one is going to summarize the enterprise of (a significant chunk of) epistemology in a paragraph or two. Read the Stanford Encyclopedia entry on Epistemology or Truth to get a taste of the flavour of the problems being grappled with when attempting to answer your question

HOW DARE YOU

humanities majors need to validate their degrees so they call opinions truths

Your "lap" is just your thighs you fucking autist

Good thread OP

Truth does not exist independent from pre-existing assumptions which can not be held as true without other pre-existing assumptions, et cetera. That is to say there is no such thing as a true axiom. Lmao amirite guys?

>Something is true if it's a fact, i.e. it can be proven with evidence.
What's your evidence for this statement?

this desu

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Can an evidence be an opinion or must it be true too?

Something might be true even though it can't be proved

What the fuck are you talking about? Your lap is the colloquial name for the surface the anterior side of your thighs create

kek

Prove it.

>Arguing about what's the definition of truth
There's comprehension when I use the word truth, what even is the point?