General Veeky Forums related questions

feel free to answer or have your general Veeky Forums related questions

I will start:

What's the best way or pc program to help you save and learn new vocabulary.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12197943
a.co/evoclHL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

read lit and look up words you don't know

Google dictionary extension is nice. You double click a word you don't know and the definition pops up in a bubble.

Pls.
strawpoll.me/12197943

I remember things best by writing them down, so usually, I write down the word and its definition after I look it up.

what are some good books or novels for a 4th/5th grader level.
I want to buy some stuff for my youngest sister but I really don't know what will she like.
Are there any Veeky Forums essential picks for children that age.

Could you guys point me in the direction of some humorous poetry, ballads, limmericks, odes, etc.?

I've been eager to get into more poetry after we read some in my English course, but I'm a little overwhelmed where to start.

Little late but use discretion as to what you think she can comprehend, but Falling Up, Tom Sawyer, Charlotte's Web, Treasure Island and other classics.

What's the best free program for reading epub formats Veeky Forums?

If you want contemporary read some Billy Collins.

Is there an english equivalent to "weltfremd"? (lit. World-estranged)

>she's in 5th grade
>she hasn't read Finnegans Wake
>she hasn't read Infinite Jest
Give up. She's an utter pleb already and there's no coming back.

where is a good place for a me to read about books after i finish them? to help point out stuff i couldn't initially catch?

sometimes i look it up on jstor but those are often too long and all over the place as far as what they're writing about. sparknotes is too shallow.

>those are often too long
Jstor articles are almost always under 20 pages.

Make sure she grows up to be a proper patrician.

that title is barfinducingly american

Tamora Pierce. The Tortall series is a must read for any girl, any kid, really. They're great. I still enjoy re-reading them. Alanna is about a girl that pretends to be a boy so she can be a knight, Wild Magic is less knights and more magic, and Protector of the Small is sort of a sequel to Alanna, about the first girl to take advantage of the new "girls can be knights too" law.

If she's a little better reader than most, Anne McCaffrey is very good. I enjoyed Patricia Wrede's dragon stories as well.

maybe more /philosophy/ related but

It holds that if you are not male model looking you will never get genuinely attractive girls genuinely horny about you

This raises the question; Why live?

boipussy

Is Kafka's 'In the Penal Colony' any good? I was playing a game were they mention it and thought it would be nice to read it.

Philosophers unanimously agree that the answer is boipussy

Yea

NEET

Lags really bad though

is there a writer or philosopher who agrees whit suicide

Can someone explain post-irony to me

Lots of Romans, particularly the ones that killed themselves.

what method have you found to be the most efficient for learning and memorizing new vocabulary from books you read.

Is there a good place to find audiobooks for free besides the site in the OP or the internet archive?

I'm trying to find The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima on audiobook but it only seems to be on that paid service Audible...

Justine(1791) is stil one of the best ror kids.

>OP

meant the sticky

I am reading Anna Karenina, and I'm at the part where Levin is discussing farming with Sviyazhsky and the other landowners. Very interesting stuff, but I feel as if I am not fully grasping what Tolstoy is trying to convey here. I know it's fairly plain, and probably is very obvious to most of you, but I lack the historical knowledge and philosophical background to really grasp this part I think. And it seems to be a major part of the book.

I would like to know what I could read that would help me understand this part a little better.

Using it again and again in my own writing. Also in shitposting.

what are some good old english words that describe an affliction of herpes to a woman's vaginal orifice

stankhole

On my phone I use MoonReader, and I love it. I've tried most of them, and this one offers the most features in the free version.

Tetter

can someone compare post-modernism, post truth and post-irony and why the fuck these words are popping up now

Anyone know any good "1776" books pertaining to the political philosophy of classical liberalism, such as the founding fathers?

What book should I buy for Aristotles essential texts besides the two volume complete works one? I got a recommendation a while ago to just buy X (the name of the book I forgot) that basically only had the essentials because I'd skip all the nature and animal bullshit anyway.

How long do you think it will take to learn basic Latin. I just bought Gwynne's Latin and essential Latin vocabulary.
Also, who is the easiest to read once I have a grasp of the grammer.

Forgot to mention I will work on it for 1 hours every morning before work and some spare time on weekends and evenings.

This is a movie inquiry but /tv/ is shit
I directed a movie with my friend, he's going to film school.
We used his camera, he was the one handling it on set: the short was based on my idea, and we wrote the screenplay together.
We both were making decisions on set, but he was the one physically handling the camera: should it be listed as "directed by him & me" in the end credits or should it just say directed by him?

Yea stoics are the ones who made it popular
>it's not dishonorable to end your life when its conditions become absolutely unbearable
Famous example: Seneca, he was a follower of the stoics in Imperial Age
Also I think existentialists saw suicide with favor but I'm not sure
I'm thinking Sartre

>I directed a movie with my friend
You answered your own question

Should I read aristotle's The Art Of Rhetoric? I wan't to improve my debating skills, my logic and get into Greek philosopher memes. At first I thought I'd read Platon but he's a retard, apparently.
Any other recommendations?

Clive James.

Trust me.

Imo pic related is better (besides the Greek philosophy part).
He references Aristotle very often, as well as Cicero and Quintilian.
It's easier to read and understand than reading Aristotle, who can be pretty dry.

>At first I thought I'd read Platon but he's a retard, apparently.
Lel
You should read the real Sofists, they're the ones that popularized rhetoric and made it their only weapon
Plato hated them because they didn't actually provide any meaningful argument, it was just arguing for the sake of arguing
>Veeky Forums
And I love them for that precise reason
Aristotle basically theorized a science around rhetoric, which is independent and not necessary to philosophy
However, the best rhetors are Protagoras and Gorgias (especially the latter, he believed that the only use of language was its seductive and "narcotic" power)

The Federalist Papers is a good start on politics of that time. However, it shouldn't be treated like a cover-to-cover book, as it is mostly a collection of essays, so treat it as such.

Not too long if you use a good book and you're willing to drill the verb forms and grammar rules until they are memorised (it's a lot less impossible than you think at first blush).

Straight-up memorising vocab is a little less important than verb morphology. 90% of vocab learning comes from just trudging through translation once you've got the grammar down - if you forget a word five times, all it means is you look it up in your dictionary five times. I would advise you to learn the standard 101 textbook vocab as best you can, with the four principle parts of each verb like the old fashioned Latin-learning niggas were supposed to - you theoretically need to know all four principle parts to do every possible form the verb can take. But that's a holdover from an era where people learned Latin COMPOSITION, which is a hell of a lot harder, and few still do. Still, it's helpful for the 101 vocab if you can manage it, because it will provide comfortable foundations for many newbie translations like Caesar.

Otherwise, you just want to proceed through a good textbook and learn how the grammar works. I shill Shelmerdine constantly on this board, because I feel "safer" with it than other methods, since it gives grammar rules upfront. But try Cambridge, or Wheelock too.

Many grammar rules will be intuitive enough. Many will be "you just have to remember this shit, there's no immediately intuitive logic to it." And a few will be "you just have to remember this, but even moreso, because it's downright counterintuitive and you won't recognise it unless you keep constantly in mind that it might be a possibility." I recommend knowing the NUMBER of potential things that a subjunctive, ablative, dative (etc.) can be doing, and writing them down. Then if you see a weird ablative, you can run down the list and think of the options by process of elimination - you don't have to have them all burned into your mind with perfection, because you can look at your list. Sooner or later you'll be resorting to the list less and less.

Again, same thing for vocab and verb forms. Shoot for 90% skill/memory, say a 90% "pass" in the course you're putting yourself through, and then let yourself make mistakes and have to doublecheck the book while translating real things. Don't stick with the textbook for ten years until you have memorised every wonky once-in-a-blue-moon rule that Latin ever had.

Translation hammers everything home eventually. And even experts still check their dictionary constantly, still go look at a major translation or two of the work they're reading because they want to see how other people handled an ambiguous clause - best-guessing in translation is normal, and outright confusion is normal. Ancient authors could be ambiguous. If you're stumped, there's a good chance it's just an objectively ambiguous thing in the text.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply

I'm currently writing a erotic novel. Please rip me to absolute shreds on it.

"As * leant over the bathroom sink looking into the mirror, he knew he could not turn back even if he wanted to. He felt the cold ceramic touch his smooth flat tummy as he pulled the pink lipstick down from his face and pouted. He had being doing this long enough now that he could tell when he had pulled off a seductive female demeanour. His eyes met his own and he observed his feminine face, cautious for any hints of masculinity, but there were none outside of the margin of error he set himself. Following his golden pigtails that hung down to his shoulders, his eyes came upon his blue tube top. His body responded to his reflection in the only way it could; he felt himself swelling down below, until the tip of his 7 inches met the cold ceramic of the sink. He bit his lower lip as he slowly pushed his hips to let his head rub against it, giving it the stimulation it craved. He couldn’t help but giggle at his body’s naïve assumption that it could procreate with itself. * knew he could play for a bit, but that he couldn’t get too exited. The main course was yet to come, but he could have an appetizer."

That's the opening paragraph.

Where do you buy books in Latin

im trying to remember a story i read about the origins of why owls only come out at night. I forgot the title but the plot went a bit like
>Owl dislikes other birds for some reason, i think food
>Owl devises plan to gain upper hand
>Owl tricks other birds into believing in a magical land where there are no predators
>Owl takes them into rabbithole or something and leads them around aimlessly until night
>Because it's night there are no predators out
>Birds feed on scraps
>Owl ends up preying on them himself
>Tricks birds into believing early morning grays signal death
>Back in the hole
>back and forth until birds notice Owl is growing fatter while they grow skinnier
>suicidal bird decides 'fuck it, i'd rather die than be eaten.'
>sees sun dawning and suddenly every bird realizes what's been happening
>birds chase owl away until he's gone
>from then on only comes out at night because birds will attack him on sight

It's been a while since i read this and i found it entertaining but i really want to know if this was a story someone made up or if it has some sort of folklore ties. anybody know what im talking about?

sounds creepier more than erotic

How does one write in Third person Limited

The book store, preferably.
Or online.

Fun fact: The Latin translation of Harry Potter is called Harrius Potter instead of Harrius Figulus, because the translators thought the readers would be too stupid to recognize the main character.

Why was Nabokov so butthurt over Dostoevsky?

i misread that as biopussy and imagined japs making robot animu waifus

i'd say thats also up there as a reason to live

I'd say The Organon along with Porphyry's Isagoge, if you happen to find it.

You'd probably get more mileage reading Plato's sophistic dialogues since they are more concrete than Aristotle's Rhetoric.

Also, ignore anyone who calls Plato a retard. They clearly have no respect for the history of the discipline and think their misguided interpretations of him are fact. Typical of people in the anglosphere.

Dostoevsky didn't jive with his synthesia

I've never seen any untranslated Latin books in any bookstore I've been in or on Amazon.

How in the world has this thread been up for this long and nobody has mentioned Anki as an answer for OP's question?

OP, check out Anki

In that case you might've looked in the wrong places
a.co/evoclHL

Damn I didn't know penguin published books in Latin...
Do most publishers do this?