Top 100 Science Fiction:

TOP 100:
goodreads.com/list/show/19341.Best_Science_Fiction

TOP 100-200:
goodreads.com/list/show/19341.Best_Science_Fiction?page=2

DISCUSSION: Comb through the Top 150, if you disagree with a book being too low you have to vote for it. Only enter the discussion if you've actually voted on the list, that way there is actual movement.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SZv-Zeo13XM
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8973343#p8973559
goodreads.com/ebooks/download/525304?doc=2967
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Maker#Reception
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't like anything from top 10 except Hyperion. Dune is an overrated, badly written adventure tripe, 1984/451/BNW are the generic highschool DUDEcore, Ender's Game is YA trash, DADOES is one of Dick's worst. I did not read Foundation novels

My thoughts:

"Roadside Picnic" by Arkady Strugatsky which is stuck at #150 should be in the Top 100. Has a cult-following science fiction film from 1979: Stalker. Also has a dope video-game S.T.A.L.K.E.R

#117's "Planet of the Apes" by Pierre Boulle, which suffers from constantly being out of print, should be higher.

#97's "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin inspired "1984" and "Brave New World", one of my favorite books of all-time.

Literally anything in the Top 20 is better than "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I have no clue what it is doing on the Top 3.

Is Book of The New Sun seriously not on this list?

Never mind, found it, but I definitely think it deserves to be higher up.

Book of the New Sun was really weird. It was like he wrote one chapter...completely erased his plot...and then wrote another chapter....completely erased his plot...etc.

i know the book is 50 years old, but I couldn't believe anyone ever liked "Stranger in a Strangeland", it was soooooooooooooo dry.

Upvote for "We". If you haven't read it, I'd say that it's one of the most important Sci-Fi book out there.

>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
>on there twice
sadly, i like the radio version better than the book

>Watchmen
fuck you. i'm a comic nerd and even this shouldn't be on the list, not the best science fiction comic to begin with it's just a highly revered book known to be dense as any other novel but come on now

what needs to be in there is one of RAW's trilogy's either Illuminates! or Schrödinger's Cat

did I miss A. E. van Vogt?

1984 is currently a best-seller. Should be #1.

Stranger in a strange land is great. Your brain just couldn't grasp the absolute.

Ubik should be above DADOES

51 "Solaris" 64 "Journey to the Center of the Earth"
97 "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea"
98 "We"

There are only four non-English book in the entire Top 100, and two of them are barely just hanging on (Polish, French, French, Russian).

Just on principle, I support bumping all four of those novels.

Pretty good list. Would read anything on it.

Here is the full movie of 1979's STALKER.

I think "Roadside Picnic" should be way higher.

youtube.com/watch?v=SZv-Zeo13XM

Stalker (Russian: Cтaлкep; IPA: [ˈstɑlkʲJr]) is a 1979 Soviet science fiction art film directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, with its screenplay written by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. Loosely based on the novel Roadside Picnic (1972), the film features a mixture of elements from the science fiction genre with dramatic philosophical and psychological themes.[4]
It depicts an expedition led by a figure known as the "Stalker" (Aleksandr Kaidanovsky) to take his two clients, a melancholic writer (Anatoli Solonitsyn) seeking inspiration and a professor (Nikolai Grinko) seeking scientific discovery, to a site known simply as the "Zone", which has a place within it with the supposed ability to fulfill a person's innermost desires. The trio travels through unnerving areas filled with the debris of modern society while engaging in many arguments, facing the fact that the "Zone" itself appears sentient, while their path through it can be sensed but not seen. In the film, a stalker is a professional guide to the Zone, someone having the ability and desire to cross the border into the dangerous and forbidden place with a specific goal.[4][5]
The meaning of the word "stalk" was derived from its use by the aforementioned Strugatsky brothers in their novel Roadside Picnic, making an allusion to Rudyard Kipling's character "Stalky" from the Stalky & Co. stories. In Roadside Picnic, "Stalker" was a common nickname for men engaged in the illegal trade of prospecting for and smuggling alien artifacts from the mysterious and dangerous "Zone".[6] The Anglosphere definition of the term "stalking" was also cited by Andrei Tarkovsky.[7]
The film has received many positive reviews, being labeled as one of the best drama films of the latter half of the 20th century, and ranks #29 on the British Film Institute's "50 Greatest Films of All Time" poll.

>Sci Fi

I couldn't keep reading Dune and I thought I just was stupid because I didn't get the appeal.

>We
Yes, this. I was reading through the top 100 smugly, thinking "I bet We isn't even in here."

Then it was. It's great to be wrong.

>Stranger in a Strange Land
He wrote it right before his "my brain tumor is making me literally unable to write entertaining fiction, but I'm not over the hill yet!" period.

If you were like me and were an edgy troubled teen who needed a substitute for religion and managed to stumble on it in your moment of need, you probably loved that book. Otherwise, it's another totally incongrous work of pure ideology from a man who is clearly losing his edge.

Stop spamming your book Tony Phillips. Nobody is going to read it. Don't you remember what happened last time?
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8973343#p8973559

Robert Sheckley
any book
/thread

Why is there trash like Hunger Games and the Host on the top 100 list?

I've read 51 out of that 100, which is not too bad, I suppose.

Why did you just paste the wiki article here?

Because popular shit is popular

Because teenage girls vote on lists. And because 4 million people have reviewed Hunger Games, a few of them are going to say it is good Sci-Fi.

Things like Vogt or EE Doc Smith, with about 3,000 reviews, will not have the votes.

It's Goodreads, populated by tumblerinas and pseuds. Poor taste is to be expected.

Solaris wrecks most of these, should be in top 10, and definitely above 1984.

>b-b-but my cultural significance
fuck off

>Solaris
>b-but my cultural significance
It's because you are Russian that you want solaris up so high. You can't fool me ruskie.

I'm not sure how liking Solaris has anything at all with being Russian.

Because Russia and Poland is interconnected.

>86. Lord of Light by Zelazny
>87. The Host by Stephanie Meyer

>Star Maker is not on either of those lists

This just makes me sad. It's one of the greatest works of science fiction of all time, and a major source of inspiration for later, more well-known authors.

Bump

goodreads.com/ebooks/download/525304?doc=2967

Here is a free pdf of "Star Maker". Why do you think it should be on the list? What books did it influence?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Maker#Reception

>"The novel is one of the most highly acclaimed in science fiction. Its admirers at the time of first publication saw it as one of the most brilliant, inventive, and daring science fiction books. Among its more famous admirers were H. G. Wells, Virginia Woolf, Jorge Luis Borges, Brian Aldiss, Doris Lessing and Stanisław Lem. Borges wrote a prologue for a 1965 edition and called it "a prodigious novel". Lessing wrote an afterword for a UK edition. Freeman Dyson was also a fan, admitting to basing his concept of Dyson spheres on a section of the book, even calling "Stapledon sphere" a better name for the idea. Among SF writers, Arthur C. Clarke has been most strongly influenced by Stapledon."

>The Hitchkiner.... 3rd
>Hunger Games 15th

Is this b8?

This is a great cover. I know this is autism but can I have a PDF version with this cover? Also, do you think Alan Moore got inspiration to Dr. Manhattan looks from this cover? Think about the Mars part and how he is literally a Star Maker.

Where's Star Wars?

>do you think Alan Moore got inspiration to Dr. Manhattan looks from this cover?

Actually that's interesting, and not at all unlikely.

>The Hunger Games #15
Fuck off REEEEE

If you're going to knock Hunger Games off the Top 20......you're gonna have to go through me!!!!!!!!!!

(No seriously, can you upvote everything behind Hunger Games, in order to get that shit off the Top 20?)