/shakespeare/ general

/shakespeare/ general

This thread is for the discussion of the works of William Shakespeare, the greatest English-language playwright of all time.

What's your favourite and least favourite Shakespeare plays?

I have to say my favourite has always been Antony and Cleopatra, I've never understood the hate it so often gets. My least favourite of the ones I've read is Midsummer Night's Dream, but it's been at least 6 years since I last read it, I'm thinking of re-reading it to see if my evaluation of it changes.

Midsummer was the first Shakespeare play I read of my own conviction (not for school in any way). I remember being surprised at how funny I found it.

Who's your Shakespeare waifu?
I'm gonna have to go with Beatrice from Much Ado desu.

>not wanting Lady Macbeth to humiliate and emasculate you

Best tragedy is Othello, best comedy would have to be As You Like It.

>Beatrice

absolutely god tier taste

She turned out to be pretty weak.
I'd rather have a coldly caring, witty noble cunt boss me around.

ROSALIND > everyone else

I've seen a pretty good shakespeare flowchart posted here a few times, does anyone have it?

Othello is actually my favorite tragedy of his besides Hamlet. Of course Hamlet is in another class all together and to talk about it would be trite, but I think aesthetically, philosophically, character-wise, it DOES deserve its great reputation ... but why talk about it, it's so overdiscussed.

That's why I choose Othello, and about Othello, I still find it weird that I actually deeply sympathize with Iago; he's just so much more human and self-aware than everyone else around him, even if a bit bitter and insane, and I can't help but think that Shakespeare was putting a lot of himself into Iago

I don't wanna pull a Stephen Dedalus but there's SO much shit in Shakespeare about being cuckolded, the pains of it, that he writes so passionately (to the point of self-parody in Cymbeline) that it makes you wonder... I think Joyce was really onto something in the Library scene of Ulysses.

I'm surprised you didn't like MND, it doesn't have any great or interesting characters in it IMO (as in super deep or anything, although Bottom is a classic one), yes, it's not as philosophically/emotionally deep as his other works, but I think it's one of his most beautifully written. The point of it, I found, was in the poetry of it, also it's hard not to be cerebrally impressed at how deftly he ties in the three subplots, it's not emotionally moving, but intellectually, with your brain, you realize it's pretty well done. also it actually is pretty funny, the best IMO is when Lysander, Hermia, Helena and Demetrius fight in the woods

>Best tragedy is Othello, best comedy would have to be As You Like It.
mein mensch

it's something of a joke in criticism/amongst English teachers that Lady Macbeth and Macky have the best marriage in all of Shakespeare's works. It's a weird way to put it, but yeah, the Lady does turn out to be pretty weak and sentimental in the end, and her apparent bitchiness in the beginning is still "good" in a way because it shows they're working together in the relationship and she wants to spur him onto ambition

Honorable mentions: Troilus and Cressida is one of his more cerebral, bitter works, with Shakespeare not even boisterous enough to parody himself and his plays ridiculously as he does in Cymbeline, it's hard to get attached to any of the characters, but holy son of a bitch it has some of the best poetry he ever wrote in it IMO, his most consistently complexly and beautifully written

Cymbeline is hilarious for how Shakespeare seemed to be really bored and resentful of everyone and everything around him, including himself, when he wrote it, and thus took it out by writing the most ridiculous shit

>Come on; tune: if you can penetrate her with your fingering, so; we'll try with tongue too: if none
will do, let her remain; but I'll never give o'er.

The fact that it's not supposed to be a comedy makes the parts like these that much better and funnier. long post over

>three subplots
4 actually, come to think of it, making it even better
The King and Queen's marriage
Helena, Hermia, Lysander, Demetrius
The players getting ready for the play
The fairies/Oberon and Titania

Especially for the fact that the play (in fact all of his plays) is so short, this density of characters and plots is amazing

to be honest, MND was my first play and I read it for school when I was 14/15. It wasn't until I read Macbeth and King Lear a few years later that I developed a respect for Shakespeare, and since then I've read about 8 more of his plays. I suspect I would like MND a lot more if I re-read it.

Favorites:

Hamlet, Much Ado, Taming, Henry IV

honestly, Ophelia. Beatrice and Lady Macbeth are close seconds. I like Bloom's reasoning for choosing Rosalind, and maybe as I re-read As You Like It I'll come to the same conclusion.

Why do you think Cordelia died at the end of King Lear? Was because of dramatic demands? Does it help Lear attain redemption and die a happy death, so to speak? Or does it rather make the play in the bleakest point possible?

Rosalind all the way

but they got the actor with the qts toes to play her

>traps

bet your second favorite is the guy in the first half of the sonnets, faggit

just bought the new pelican editions of The Tempest and Julius Caesar, which one should I read first lads

think you mean Francis Bacon general

I've only read the following by Shakespeare:
>Two Gentlemen of Verona (enjoyed but not his best by far)
>Taming of the Shrew (better than Verona)
>Macbeth (good but not great)
>King Lear (excellent)
>The Tempest (excellent)
>Midsummer Night's Dream (didn't like but only read it once a decade ago for school)
>Merchant of Venice (good)

Is this image accurate?

Yeah Beatrice is like the ultimate Tsun.
That is the opposite of Lady Macbeth. She is certainly a God-tier wife, and certainly a God-tier waifu.

She's also a dumb fuck but that's besides the point. It is a tragedy.
I hope we're thinking of the same thing because if we are I agree.

Well it's right in the suggestion that Titus Andronicus is absolute shit

>find it weird that I actually deeply sympathize with Iago
This. It seems terrible to be doomed to an impulse of making things as miserable as possible, and knowing you're probably gonna lose control and will die painfully.
I felt a similar way with Macbeth - like his perseverance and character warranted him victory against a relatively flat world.

bum p

Shakespeare isn't only the greatest English-language playwright of all time, he's the greatest writer of all time

t. somebody that can also read German and French

Shakespeare's best play is The Tempest. Also my favorite

I read Lear recently and loved it. My own problem with it were transitions of Lears mental state
>Before the story starts Lear is a supposedly wise king
>He then detariorates to a piont where he scorns the good cordelia and splits his empire between her dishonest sisters
>And after his daughters betray him he becomes a madman with some clarity now and then
The way Lear is in the beginning of the story for me never worked for me with how the character was supposed to be before the story and felt like a contrivance for the sake of the plot, i.e.: he has to give his lands to his evil daughters and banish is good daughter to set the plot in motion.
It felt unclear whether his rash acrions in the beginning of the book are the products of dementia or not. Are we supposed to see the way he superciliously splits his land between his children (a bad move) as a product of his dementia or as a product of the sentimentality/hubris/being of touch with reality of old age?

Also Kurosawa's adaption of King Lear is fucking gorgeous. It's a must if you like movies and king lear.