Why is colonizing planets a necessity?

Why is colonizing planets a necessity?

Wouldn't it be just easier to build huge spaceships that host large chunks of humanity each, like in Wall-E?

It would be fairly safer than staying on a planet that at any time can go through volcanism, earthquakes, tsunamiss, magnetic shifts, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

juliantrubin.com/schooldirectory/jewishscientists.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_scientists_and_philosophers
americanthinker.com/articles/2015/02/jewish_scientists_helped_america_build_the_atom_bomb.html
m.esa.int/About_Us/Ministerial_Council_2016/Moon_Village
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>build huge spaceship
>an asteroid that could be easily disintegrated by a planets atmosphere hits you at 20km/s and now your ship is heavily damaged and a lot of the people inside just died

>stand still while asteroid flies at you
there are a lot of good reasons why living in space is a shitty idea. this is not one of them. you should be ashamed

If we ever go interstellar, which I doubt, we are already advanced enough to basically create an eternal self-sustaining giant ass ship to live in and colonizing a planet would feel like something ancient people would do. As for the solar system there isn't much to colonize, nobody wants to live on mars other than few scientists unless it can be made as safe and comfy as on earth

What's wrong with living in space
Space habitats let you tailor it to however the fuck you want
Planets do not, mars will be a desolate irradiated low gravity rock for ages, even if we do start trying to terraform it
The O'Neil cylinder in orbit however is a tropical paradise, and has been since it was built

trying to dodge a swarm of micro-asteroids is like trying to dodge rain

>If we ever go interstellar, which I doubt,
>ever go interstellar
>ever
>which I doubt,
???

>If we ever go interstellar, which I doubt, we are already advanced enough to basically create an eternal self-sustaining giant ass ship to live in
Assuming generation ships (which seems more practical), yeah we'd have to make a nearly eternal, self-sustaining giant ass ship to live in.

> and colonizing a planet would feel like something ancient people would do
By the time a generation ship gets anywhere, you'd probably have generations of people who were born on the ship and didn't know anything else. Yeah, most would probably want to stay on the ship, or build a new habitat for expansion.
But those that did move to the surface would be able to expand more per generation, and should outnumber the space people within a few generations.

>nobody wants to live on mars other than few scientists unless it can be made as safe and comfy as on earth
Think about how many basement-dwelling NEETS there are on this board. Aside from gravity, they wouldn't notice any difference living on Mars.

>Space habitats let you tailor it to however the fuck you want
>Planets do not, mars will be a desolate irradiated low gravity rock for ages,
When we do go to Mars, we aren't going to be sleeping outdoors on the cold, hard ground.
we would be indoors in an artificial environment, just like a space habitat.

Because we can fit more humans in the civilization.

>more humans = more geniuses
>more geniuses = more progress

Also, we better get used to space traveling soon, we'll probably travel through our solar system soon, at least from earth to mars. Maybe next century, who knows.

Colonizing planets is cheaper, safer, more scalable.
Also good luck with building a large scale ship with artificial gravity.

And finally where are you going to get your raw materials from? Space?

Probe UrAnus

What about micro meteoroids? You might not be able to expend enough delta v in time to miss, or you might get hit by another dust cloud.

A planet with a good temp and safe biosphere will always be safer than living in a tin can surrounded by vacuum and being bombarded by radiation. That being said, we don't have any of those right now, Mars is basically a vacuum to us, it's just as dangerous as space but with a higher fuel cost. I think colonizing space should start with learning how to build large things in space for people to live in, but a good planet would always be better IMO.

>safe biosphere
if there's life, there's alien pathogens that will kill us
there is food that we cannot eat without getting ill
and there's animals we cannot domesticate for the same reasons

colonizing another earth-like planet will be even more difficult than colonizing a barren one, as we'll either need to genetweak ourselves and crops, or terraform the planet and kill the alien life with our own flora and fauna

shielding is enough to defeat micrometeoroids

It might not kill us though, we don't have any reference.

What kind of shielding? Armor is heavy and expensive to boost into orbit.

>Why is colonizing planets a necessity?

Cosmic rays. You need a lot of hydrogen-rich mass to shield against those. So either living on a planet underground, or a huge orbital habitat with outer walls at least several meters thick.

The kind that is already used on the ISS. It does not take that much to shield against micrometeoroids. Cosmic rays are the big issue, especially outside low Earth orbit with no magnetosphere.

Raw materials for building with.

If you wanted to get enough resources to build so many enormous space ships, you'd have to source them from other planets, moons and asteroids, and if you're already there, why not settle down?

Big asteroids such as Vesta are an ideal place for colonization. Plenty of raw materials for radiation shielding and manufacturing, but also low gravity so that it is very easy to come and go. Best of both worlds.

Damn straight it would

If you have an airplane, dodging rain is quite easy.

Humans won't ever travel in space ships because we will have rid ourselves of these inferior bodies by then.

I think you see those big craters on that asteroid

>Think about how many basement-dwelling NEETS there are on this board. Aside from gravity, they wouldn't notice any difference living on Mars.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is being dysfunctional but are you suggesting that people who abhor work would enjoy living in a newly founded colony on another planet?

Space habitats would be built in space. Micro meteorites would make micro holes if it even managed to puncture the hull. Not a real problem.

Anything that requires only water and sugar would colonize our mouths very rapidly.

So our immune system wouldn't recognize the microbes and we would be effectively devoured?

>are you suggesting that people who abhor work would enjoy living in a newly founded colony on another planet?
No, I'm suggesting a lot of people never go outdoors.
And not just neets. There's a fuckton of people that never leave the city, and would be just as happy living their lives out in some underground city on any world.

A planet is in a sense a colossal spaceship that moves in a fixed way.

Why not make biospheres that would basically be parks, could even have screens on the ceiling that look like skies

>rid ourselves of those inferior bodies

that's literally never going to happen

>Why not make biospheres that would basically be parks,
I'm all for it, but it really doesn't address OP's question, because it's what we're likely to do regardless of whether we're colonizing Mars, solar orbit, or creating a generation ship to send to the stars.

>>more humans = more geniuses

more whites and Asians = more geniuses

FTFY

>getting hit by asteroids

Just move into interstellar space, nigga

>move to interstellar space
>immediately devoured by Yog-Sothoth
nah i'd rather deal with the asteroids

>Aside from gravity, they wouldn't notice any difference living on Mars.
But muh ping times, bro!

>Dmitry, wouldn't it be easier to just house everyone in huge blocks?

>ping times
you'd connect to the local servers, which would have amazing ping times because it is all new construction.

>>>more whites and Asians = more geniuses

More Jews more geniuses

FTFY

Call me a shlomo all you want you know it's true

Jews are so smart that they have yet to conquer their home territory even after many of their Canaanite cousins have done so.

Your a joke of a race that only exists due to white moralfags we all know without us you be getting tortured by muslims at this moment.

Who needs your own homeland when you could just use your superior intellect to manipulate goys into letting you into your more advanced country? Also don't forget the fact that a good majority of jews dominate the science field. Just admit it wh*te goi you and your race can't compete with that BAB

>Superior intellect
Guilt tripping moralfags is not intelligent, until you yids can do the same to your non moralfag cousins in the ME you will always be a joke. All you kikes did was cry for mercy when euros chimped out on you oh look at the master race begging for mercy from goyim how hilarious. Master race had no armies or tech to fight the goyim no they hide like cowards and pretend they are the master race.

Oh you mean science fields that wouldnt exist without europeans?

You have invented nothing jew you are a liar and a parasite.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, goy whatever helps you sleep at night, at the end of the day we still control a majority of western media and we still have higher IQs than you.
>Oh you mean science fields that wouldnt exist without europeans?
Erm goyim, I would hardly call the study and observations of the physical world an 'invention' it sounds more like you guys just gave it a name and rolled with it even if Europe had a pretty high number of scientists, although who knows I could be mistaken maybe you goys did 'invent' science. Also did you forget the jews also have European mixture in them? I think you did goy.
Also
>You have invented nothing jew you are a liar and a parasite.
Nope.
juliantrubin.com/schooldirectory/jewishscientists.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_scientists_and_philosophers
americanthinker.com/articles/2015/02/jewish_scientists_helped_america_build_the_atom_bomb.html

Nice try shlomo

Why a ship rather than just a habitat?

No, jews are morons. Askenazis are just white people LARPING as Jews.

Yeah it gets struck every million years and by something probably tiny, it's not a big risk

>But muh ping times, bro!

It is a better idea. Look up rotating habitats and Dyson swars.

Question, why aren't we trying out a base on the Moon first?

The Moon is close to us. It's quick and easy to get there (much more so than Mars). If things go wrong then it's much easier to get supplies to the base, or get people back if needed.

It just seems like a far more sensible first step than going straight to Mars.

Prestige
We've gone to the moon before, So going to mars would get more glory

We are doing a moon base though, planned construction date is mid 2020s

the Moon lacks important elements such as hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon, so establishing a self-sufficient base is harder on the Moon

in all likelihood there will be a moonbase before going to Mars tough, current NASA plan is to built a space station above the Moon and landing there would then be the obvious next step

>humanity somehow builds a gigantic generational ship
>it is incapable of scanning its surroundings and detecting moving objects at any reasonable distance

>why aren't we trying out a base on the Moon first?
In part, because it's closer.
We can get to the moon pretty easily, and you can even see it pretty well from Earth.
There's more benefit from a colony of people staying on Mars because otherwise, how often would we get to study it that close up?

We lack space based infrastructure, So if a disaster happens at the colony, it's as good as dead, since it would take us 9 months to reach them at absolute best
The moon would just take 3 days, not even enough for dehydration to claim lives

>The O'Neil cylinder

We gundam now!

>There's more benefit from a colony of people staying on Mars
this is pretty debatable
thinking in long term, sure, setting up a shop on another semi-habitable planet will be more beneficial, but talking short term, immediate net returns, and especially making establishing a solid connection with Mars easier, Moon base beats Mars colony to the punch.
We're talking 10 times cheaper and easier manufacture and launches compared to earth's gravity well.

I actually don't know why. Probably government officials who don't know much about science deciding what gets the most funding. Focusing on a moon base and building space habitats seems smarter to me and makes more economic sense.

Issac Arthur has pretty much completely informed Veeky Forums's opinions on space. Though he does seem pretty educated.

a good chunk of the people on Veeky Forums hold the polar opposite view as him, purely because he exists and holds it

many a time there has been shitposters steadfastly refusing to even acknowledge any math proving the structures possible, just because he looks fat in his picture

The ESA is planning to do just that with their International Moon Village:
m.esa.int/About_Us/Ministerial_Council_2016/Moon_Village

moon gravity is too low to prevent health issues
as for mars, who knows

>tfw want to talk about space industry
>instead get half baked shitposts about how it's impossible and never should be tried ever
>threads die at 150
>flat earth threads get to 300 every day

Yes. Building human habitats in space is far easier than colonizing planets because you can control the environment and rotate the habitat to simulate gravity. Colonizing planets is a vanity project.

Blame sci-fi for all the planet colonizing shit
Few people know that you can build habitats for things, and make spin gravity, and thus assume that to do space, you need FTL and artificial gravity

So much glory that could be had, stopped by brainlets that don't know about anything past what happened in the last GoT episode

Its fucking ridiculous. This is problem with Elon Musk worship as well. He may conduct a Mars landing, but landing and colonizing are fundamentally different, hence why we've not colonized the Moon even though we landed on it 50 years ago. Its bullshit, especially his dumb idea to nuke Mars to terraform it.

>
>>If we ever go interstellar, which I doubt,
>>ever go interstellar
>>ever
>>which I doubt,
>???
If you want to use that ad as an example it should list a breathable atmosphere as well.