Hey guys

Hey guys,

I'm about to start a degree in biomedical engineering in October.

I chose it because I've got good grades and it sounds hella interesting.

But I haven't really considered career prospects, money, or how future-proof it is in the next 20 years.

What do you guys think?

Which school?

Considering WW3, transiently future-proof.

Biomedical engineering is a meme.

It can get mid tier engineering money/career options if you focus on a specific field like prosthetics or tissue engineering.

Invent or refine something. Oncology/discovery/screening devices work well. Make friends with as many medical professionals as you can. Take a business course and start a company. Profit.

is bme the new meme or something?
i keep meeting people irl that are in or entering bme

Just do mechanical engineering or materials engineering. Don't do BME and be a fag

This.

Employers don't want to see biomedical engineering degrees because it's too specific and doesn't focus enough on the actual engineering aspect. They want to see mech engineers with a biology focus because it's more broad.

The thinking is it's easier to teach an engineer biology than a biologist engineering.

biomedical engineering is shit tier. you need a master's to get a job a real engineering B.S. would get you.

get a real degree like MATHEMATICS

I just graduated from a small but highly respected engineering school, I have a lot of friends who graduated with their BS in biomedical eng and they had internships and now are starting careers in their field. A few are struggling for the reasons others have stated.

Pick your program/school carefully.

If you're only going for a BS you might as well go to med school.

OP, I noticed your thread is not a race and IQ thread.

Are you aware of the fact that Veeky Forums is primarily a board about racial differences in intelligence? If not, why not?

Where in California are you from?

Don't focus on just prosthesis. Consider augments as well. I want an extra pair of arms. Or maybe even functional wings, now that'd be something.

>Don't do BME and be a fag
Brainlets which fear & hate Math heavy fields escape to Brainlet fields which rely mostly on Memorization such as Biology or Humanities.

Bio fields like BME are filled with Woman & Faggots which fear Math.

study another thing, because you won´t find a job soon

I can attest to this. My uni has fifty percent women in it and overhearing guys talk about it their favorite subjects are anatomy and shit. They were hating on matlab lmao

You definitely won't be out of a job, but you won't be designing cyborg parts for the next generation of humans either. You'll be designing more and more powerful stents to hold up clogged amerifat veins and designing new equipment for gastric bypass surgeries.

That's biomedical engineering.

As far as programming goes, matlab is literally the loosest and easiest to learn. Jeezus christ.

So, I'm gonna assume you're from California, specifically NorCal (Hella breh).
At UC Berkeley, Bioengineering is a fantastically interesting major that draws talent from EECS, MechE, pure math, physics, and CivE. It tends to be kinda polarizing- either you want to go directly into biological equipment manufacturing or premed track, and it's considered a really good field.
That being said; UC Berkeley's BioE program is not ABET accredited, but this is mainly because NO BioE is ABET accredited. However, this also means that it's likely to be a very high growth field within a few decades.

I'm in the UK

So what would you focus on instead that still ensures I'll be working in a prosthetics/augmentations field once I have a job?

Believe it or not that's what I'd like to do. Garner experience then start selling shit to fat rich people. I honestly can see biomedical engineering developing a field akin to plastic surgery today, where people buy upgrades for themselves. But I'm talking like 2 decades away minimum.

I'm in the UK unfortunately. But I'm not surprised that California is a beacon for this type of shit

That's what I'd like to do. Augmentations

That's depressing. Hopefully WW3 starts so I can get to work on replacements

Don't. It's too watered down. You learn a little bit about everything and feel like you learned nothing.

If you want to do brain stuff. Do EE, CS or Applied Math. (NOT Neuroscience. DEFINIATELY NOT Psychology)
If you want to do implants. Do materials science/engineering.
If you want to do drug delivery, do Chem E.

I feel like I have to say this to every undergrad because none of them listen. Focus on the basics. Having a good foundation in Math (Statistics, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq), Bio, Chem and Physics will be infinitely more useful than your first "engineering" courses.

Do MechE instead, specialize for Master's.