Got back from Myrtle Beach about two days ago. Splurged on food. One of my bills was for seafood. Came out to $125...

Got back from Myrtle Beach about two days ago. Splurged on food. One of my bills was for seafood. Came out to $125.58 not including a $5 tip we left (I'm a cheapfag). did I get ripped off. Seafood is expensive right?. was 4 people btw.

>subtle tip bait thread
this should go well

Terrible bait

well, I guess it sounds like I"m baiting but not really. Pretend I bumped the tip up to $25 or some shit.

Was $125 a ripoff for seafood?. I know it's expensive but shit just how much did they rip me off?. I know seafood is expensive but I'd be prepared to spend $80 for just the meal where we went for what we ate.

$125 for seafood for 4 sounds reasonable to me if it was decent quality. You shouldn't have tipped.

They EXPLICITY told us that the %$15 gratuity was included in the bill (which I've never fucking heard of in my life but still won't argue against) because it's standard across the world.

I wanted to ask you guys also (but faggots on this board will call this bait instead of educate a dumb faggot) if they tell us that the gratuitity is INCLUDED in the bill am I cool to NOT leave a tip? because that's basically what happened. We didn't leave a tip and my wife later on told me she left an extra five at that encounter.

Well what did you get? Can you take a pic of the receipt? Saying 4 people doesn't really help

If I didn't enjoy the food at a place or I didn't get served properly by the waiters I usually try and steal some of the restaurants stuff. Cutlery, maybe glasses, sometimes I even get a plate or two. Once I even snagged a cast iron pan they served me some "sizzling fajitas" in.
Once I even manageed to sneak out without paying AND getting a plate and a new set of cutlery.

You shouldn't have tipped them.

yes you idiot if the gratuity is included that means the tip is automatically added to the bill
you can tip more if you feel like you received exceptional service but not leaving extra doesn't mean you're an asshole.

lrn3restaurant

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the receipt but I do have a picture of what I ordered. I was kind of full so I just ordered that. My wife did order a pina colada which came in a gigantic FRESH fucking pineapple (was frozen and real) so we knew it was expensive. It was quality stuff but I just wanted to get hit with the most real opinions on just how much I wasted on commercialized shit.

t. ratchet nigger

I assumed that much but assuming isn't everything so I was still curious if I fucked the waitress out of her tip. I hate to think I did that. I'm glad at least we left her an extra five than a shortage of $20 or whatever.

>less than 42$ a head to splurge on seafood
Doesn't sound that bad, did you order any drinks as well?

yah, got 4 drinks. two cokes and two lomenades or something like that. Besides my wife getting that Pina Colada which was like 15 Pina colada and the rest was a 3/4 of a fucking real pineapple.

I hope you didn't pay more than $5 for that shit user.
>peel shrimp
>cocktail sauce

You got bamboozled.

>You got bamboozled.

That's what I wanted to hear because that's what my instincts tell me. I just wanted to hear some confirmation. I can't stand blowing like that but it's exactly what I did.

They are by the coast can't they get higher quality stuff though?.

It's fresher-ish. It's not frozen as long. I'm assuming you went to a gimmick place where they sell you on the scenery and you assume scenery=food

Not your fault, don't fall for it again

You were at a tourist trap, ya dingus, the food is always overpriced shit. At least you weren't stupid enough to tip much.

Yeah, it's definitely cool he punished the server for something out of their control

There was an autograt. He tipped 5% on the bill plus 15%.

OP, you sound like an utter fool.
What 4 seafoods did the 4 of you order? You show this seafood feast in your post, and then a basic plate and haven't once actually said what the whole table ordered.
I see a picture with potatoes in a bowl, fries (WTF?), and 2 skewers of pretty unremarkable shrimp.
Shrimp caught in the Gulf, or off SC can be $4/lb raw at best for small-medium. For shrimp, they're frozen on board before they ever come back into port since perish ability is so high. So the only difference is whether steamed before frozen or frozen raw. Stone Crab season which just ended (so we're on the frozen side of the year), can be $45/lb. That's right, it's a treat. Good grouper for a sandwich might be $15/lb, so think cutlet price for your sandwich about $9 to your restaurant...and so your sandwich should be close to $15-22 depending on sides offered. Conch is 100% all imported from Bahamas, so it runs $15/lb, and a good restaurant will be heavy on the meat usage in or chintzy. Think about a smallest lobster tail being about half a pound, and about $10 raw cost.

I don't know if this was a tourist trap or not, and when it comes to fresh seafood which can get messy and patrons can be dressed pretty casual/fishing resort casual, they're not needing to look high end looking but can be awesome. Were the shrimp the best you ever had or not? Touch, chewy, off tasting? Since shrimp are all frozen, I wouldn't even order it in restaurants unless you really liked the breading, sauce, etc, or it was part of another dish. You should ask what is freshest catch, and lean towards that. And, if you aren't sure you like or know that fish well? Get it blackened.

>autograt

IS that what it's called???. Is that a thing?. I instincts were telling me that they told me this because I'm Hispanic. I'm not pulling any racist card or anything tho because I acknowledge that white people that go there seem like they have the most to spend and they're just assuring they don't get fucked by me (which they would have). I'm glad at least they put it in such a way that it's a part of the bill. I have less of a problem if they demand the %15 percent up front than if they tell me they would like it and then get pissed when they don't get it.

>What 4 seafoods did the 4 of you order?

We each (4) got four main meals. The most expensive was my wife's order which was a gigantic fucking plate of oysters (pretty much all shell obviously, not sure why anyone ever throws money on that shit). The kids which were basically generic shrimp and fries shit like me were simple but my wife as well as the son got an extra appetizer which was like an extra $10-15 each because the main meal wasn't enough to fill them up.

If you're averaging more than two dollars per oyster on the half shell, you're paying too much.

>OP, you sound like an utter foo

I know I sound like it. Trust me I know. I blew money on this trip because it's the first actual vacation me and my wife have had together so wherever she wanted to go I went. I'm not a pussy, I"m just trying to help make her life good. I have the money to throw away for the moment so I did.

You got fucked friend.

She must have had like 12-15 oysters on her plate. She has the picture on her phone. I take that back. As soon as I typed that I looked at my album and cropped the oysters out. This is what she got. It was cold and did have plenty of ice if that helps though.

The pineapple in the corner is what her pina colada came in. Wasn't even a glass, it was an ACTUAL pineapple. Not sure if that's worth what I payed so that's why I'm asking you guys.

it sounds like you went to a beachside spot in a nice location
ordinarily I'd say what you paid was a little pricey (but not much really) however in this case you are also paying for the location and ambiance
i'd say you paid a fairly normal price for that
you definitely didn't get a sweet deal but I wouldn't say you got ripped off either

That does make sense too. I actually booked a hotel like a ten minute drive from where that restaurant was. The restaurant was SMACK in the middle of the action though. It wasn't like three blocks out or anything. Literally one street crossing was the beach so I do feel like possibly it was worth but but like I said already I'm just trying to guage depending on the responses what the overall conclusion was on the price I paid.

I told my wife we could have saved a FUCK LOAD of money just eating McDonald's for breakfast but she didn't want to so...

Who cares you miserly fuck. You had a nice meal with your family while on vacation and there's hardly shit you can do about how much you paid now

women are generally uninterested in saving money

I could learn from you guys on Veeky Forums and maybe you could give me some advice for future reference on how to enjoy myself better while eating and saving money so I could spend money on other shit.

Who cares about anything?. Fuck you faggot, I get you're in the mood to troll and that's all good because I can see through you, you're just waiting for an enjoyable xperience in your life so you can compare. Don't get mad at me. Get mad at yourself. Get some friends dude. Get a lady, she'll piss you off but i f you love her it will be worth it.

that's rather impossible to answer, seeing as we don't know the quality.

>t. the only women I've talked to in my entire life are 2D body pillows

Those are my exact assumptions also knowing my wife and most other women in my life but I chose not to bring that up. Not sure if that's food related. I am just trying to eat at a bargain on vacation.

wait, how is a pillow 2d?
also he did say "generally", which might actually be true.

Do some better research online next time. Tripadvisor is pretty good but stay away from Yelp since it's full of tasteless soccer moms. Generally stay away from touristy locations and eat where the locals do.

Server is being punished by the owners not paying a liveable wage, not me. With every other business I deal with the employees don't expect tips because they're (presumably) paid an acceptable amount. Restaurant owners can start doing that or their employees can starve without a shred of guilt on my part. The only way things change is for us to stop participating in "standard" behavior. Grow up.

>Including saltines in individual fucking wrappers
Whatever you paid was too much

>Do some better research online next time

I hear that and TRUST ME MANE! that's why I had money to spend on food. I saved A LOT looking at the specials on every hotel there and we had lucked out and found one that was a steal for the few days we were there. Every other place was twice as much. Would be nice if we could do that for food but my total intelligence and life skills just save my wife from that. Sure I could save myself from overspending but my wife is my Achilles heel when it comes to this shit. Can't save her. I can just to my best to not let her fuck me over. I don't even blame the restaurants I blame her.

that server probably walks away with over $100 in tips a day.
eat my ass.

Except there is no general want to "change", and your views are by and far outside American cultural norms.

Thus, realistically you are punishing the server due to tips being culturally expected. Not getting a tip means you thought the server did not deserve it due to poor service, culturally.

You are defacto punishing the server. Ergo, you grow up.

Not even him, not even in restaurant service (I'm an electrician). I am, however, not an autist

c'est la vie
women love to be pampered

bro whats on your plate is like $2 worth of food, u got taken for a ride.

I believe it. Those were mashed potatoes (supposedly) btw and they weren't spectacular at all. The fries kind of sucked. The shrimp were above average in my opinion so that's why I kind of hyped it up to my wife to make her feel good. Not surprised if I've been eating faggot stupid fake dog shrimp my entire life and that's why they tasted so decent but oh well.

Sounds like you need to have a serious talk about finances with your wife, especially if you're the breadwinner. Pampering is fine, but if it's eating into your savings or worse, then it's time to draw a line and teach her financial responsibility before you're both underwater with a kid and more.

>Sounds like you need to have a serious talk about finances with your wife

She's hopeless bro. Trust me. I love her anyways and I've been through enough to know that I Love her I'm not missing out by sticking with her. She's not holding me back from anything, I"m here with her. We're both around 35 years old.

>especially if you're the breadwinner

We're really equal. We make about the same. I save it and spend it where I want and she blows it on what she wants. It's fair to me. I chose to blow on this vacation otherwise everything is fairly split and she knows that.

I have my savings still (aside from this vacation). That's really while I call it a vacation. I normally spend it at home. We happened to take it our the same exact time this time around so we did this.

>second post in the thread calls out OP for tip bait thread
>retards still argue about tipping as though a pissing match on a mongolian shadow puppet board is going to change an ingrained cultural trait

That's fair. It's good that you at least have a level head on you, apart from this restaurant fiasco.

first day here?

Shit, and this is only ONE of the like six experiences I've had on this three day vacation that sere very overpriced but honestly it was OK because we have never been here before and it all just worked out. I would do it again.

I'm going to say that your wife probably enjoyed her food more than you did. Take a lesson from that.
Raw oysters on the half shell are kind of special treat, sensual food foodies like, that slipping down the throat, fresh lemon, or savory cocktail sauce or such. Aftertaste of the ocean. There ya go. I'd have combined them with something not so fruity, myself, but I'm guessing her pina colada wasn't from a mix, might have been the real deal.

I think you would probably enjoy reading the rankings on like Tripadvisor for restaurants when traveling. Going to the local paper's reviews, thrillist or eater might keep it more curated, and not full of tourist votes. Eat where the locals eat by asking around. I like to check Southern Living or local magazines like that.

There's a pampered aspect to what I like to do about a vacation too, resorts, spas, good views, but I'm pretty happy in a Hampton Inn mattress with my free breakfast, as long as I don't see any jokers down there acting like pigs at the waffle maker. I don't do McDonalds breakfast, because it can be one of the best meals you can dine out and do. Skip lunch to save some costs, throw some salami and cheese and grapes into a beach cooler, and save the big funds for a nice dinner. Find the early bird specials and get ice cream later when hunger strikes again.

With the automatic gratuity plus the extra $10 they tipped $28.75 on a $106.25 meal.

>tiny little bitch shrimp from thailand

Yeah, you got ripped off.

I don't know what prices are like in Myrtle Beach but on the west coast you can usually get a seafood tower for a group with an assortment of cold shellfish including oysters, scallops, and a half lobster for less than $50.

Where the fuck do you people go?!
I can go to a place with £15 and still come out with change.

I vacation in myrtle beach from time to time, and if it was a nice place and for 4 people. 125 is pretty much the normal price you would pay. Me and my family usually limit the fancy restaurants to 2 per vacation since it can be pricey. Also yeah seafood is pretty pricey if its good quality.

Im the same person who just wrote thisand I pray you didnt spend that much money on food like that. You can get a shit ton of food for 125 a other places. It would have been better to just go to the places that have all you can eat crab legs, and you could have saved money and been more full.

>not including a $5 tip we left (I'm a cheapfag).
The word is nigger.

>doesn't know what "gratuity" means
This story doesn't make sense unless you are low iq spic... oh wait...
>picking the $20 - 9 shrimp w/ 2 sides entree
Atleast look at the pictures

>FUCK LOAD of money
>$130ish
>eating mcdicks while on vacation
Hope you signed a pre nup

>t. roasite

$125 for someone's modern art masterpiece made with shrimp and French fries? Yes, I know you said you fed four but I hope that implies the rest of the group got lobster.

Yeah you got swindled. Tourist trap restaurant or not it doesn't matter - they charged you way too much for way too little. Unless your wife was really pounding back those pina coladas.

>I'm a cheapfag
no youre an asshole

>ancestors came to America in chains
>seeks reparations by stealing from chain resturaunts

LMAOing at your life.

I'm not a nigger and I don't frequent the their kinds of restaurants.

>lol yeah I dine&dash and steal flatware
you may not be black, but you are definitely a nigger

>this triggers the waiter scum

>which Ive never fucking heard of in my life

Are you 5 or something?