Major

Well Veeky Forums, what do you major in? Do you like it? What are your future prospects? What are your peers like?

strawpoll.me/13391529

just finished my second year, soon to decide if i should do bio or chem. looks right now like i'm gonna either do bioengineering or patent law for grad.

>math at the top
My man. Royalty like me should not have to put in the effort to scroll down and I am glad you know that.

Junior in EE in the fall. I wanted to do Physics desu but too late now to graduate in 4 years in that. Doing applied physics stuff in EE anyways. Planning on grad school, MS for sure, maybe PhD if I really want to later down the line. Peers seem alright, I dont really have any friends or talk to anyone in my EE major, all my friends are in other majora.

CS and I hate it but my job prospects are good. I don't mind being surrounded by nerds because it means I've basically become a Chad due to social relativity

Enrolled for EE, kinda thinking I might get outsourced by the time I get out.

No fucking idea what I should study either. There are so many options

All mathematicians are autistic literal retards who will never accomplish anything.

>All mathematicians are autistic
True.

> literal retards
Wrong, as intelligence is defined as how good you are at mathematics.

>who will never accomplish anything.
I accomplish more with the random thoughts about mathematics that hop in and out of my mind while I jerk off than you will ever accomplish in your most productive and deep thought sessions.

Yeah at my undergrad college there were like 7 or 8 specializations to choose from and then for grad school there were 20+. It is daunting, but also nice because with just a bachelor's there are many different fields you can work in and your undergrad specialization doesn't even matter really.

I would advise just reading up on some of the options you have, maybe watch related videos whatever really. If you just want a bachelor's then a specialization won't really tie you down to something and you can easily switch to something else once you graduate. Just choose an option that sounds cool or interesting to you and go with it. If you uni is like mine was, you can just take enough classes to get that "specialization" and then pick classes from other specializations that sound neat.

Gender studies

My major isn't on there (civil engineering)

Yes it is, it falls under "liberal" studies

>intelligence is defined as how good you are at mathematics.
By a retard perhaps.

Name one thing you have accomplished with mathematics, and obviously I'm not talking about everyday arithmetics; that can be useful for anyone.

Math of computation. Special major at my school. Great job prospects, and the work is very interesting!

>that can be useful for anyone

Well, I've written a couple of papers on complex analysis. They may be useful sometime in the future.

But if you ask for something that is useful in the brainlet peasant ways of yours then I guess I should mention that I give special classes to the kids that participate in mathematical olympiads and some of these kids usually become top tier engineers so I am directly helping society by raising the next generation of non-brainlets. You are welcome, brainlet.

>I haven't actually done anything of value ever but I'm gonna write a lot of shit to justify myself, also I will insult your intelligence because I'm insecure about myself and projecting.

Mathematics is as gay and useless as you are, deal with it fagboy.

>Mathematics is as gay and useless as you are, deal with it fagboy.

Oh well. You are right. Just like a man with no money could not possibly see any purpose in having banks, a man with no intelligence could not possibly see any purpose in having mathematicians.

Please tell me more about you. Ever since I was 15 I have been wondering about how the life of a brainlet was. You see, about since then I have been surrounded in a circle of mathematicians and mathematics student and its been 12 years already. The only non-mathematicians I talk to are my parents and my gf and I don't really feel like asking them "Hey, how does it feel to be retarded?" so I come to you, good man. How does it feel to be retarded?

I have an IQ over 140. Try again, fatty mclardpoo.

Also, all those things you list are the work of real scientists and programmers, not mathehurpedurpians. How does it feel to delude yourself?

>you can only pick one

fail poll is fail

>He thinks IQ matters

Oh wow, so you aren't only a retard. You are a popsci pseudointellectual retard. Don't tell this to anyone, but that's my favorite flavor of retardation and one of the reasons I come here so often.

Please tell me more, Mr. 140 IQ man.

>Also, all those things you list

What list?

math.
yeah i kinda like it.
i dunno, maybe i will try getting out of this shithole country and try for an MS in USA.
>What are your peers like?
they are ok. i don't talk to them much.

Exactly.

Ok, Mr.140 IQ man. So tell me, what do brainlets find valuable?

How about any scientific field other than mathematics.

Oh wow, that's actually interesting. Brainlets see no value in mathematics, but they do see value in theoretical physics which is most of the time indistinguishible from pure mathematics?

The brainlet mind if truly a mystery. I guess that is why we call them brainlets.Tell me more.

If you do chemistry you better fucking go into materials or something that requires a heavy engineering skill set + all your chemistry knowledge. Basically just look where all the asians at your school flock and you'll know what is a good choice and what isn't.

>bbbbbbbbut organic is the best! So many jobs!
There's a reason literally 0 Asian people do organic synthesis. Meanwhile analytical chem (nearly 100% Asian population at our school) has all the jobs and materials (high Asian population) is a major up and comer. Be 100% sure you are not cucking yourself out of 5 - 6 years of your life.

Bio will not get you a job unless you do bioengineering like you say. Do not do a computational project.

>theoretical physics which is most of the time indistinguishible from pure mathematics
This is why mathematicians are retards.

Why is it that so many mathematicians have gone insane with time, probably even by your own standards, hm? Quite strange... Oh wait, no, it's not.

>theoretical physics adheres to standards of mathematical rigor while giving little weight to experiments and observations. For example, while developing special relativity, Albert Einstein was concerned with the Lorentz transformation which left Maxwell's equations invariant, but was apparently uninterested in the Michelson–Morley experiment on Earth's drift through a luminiferous ether.

The brainlet mind is truly a mysterious object. Certainly foreign to all of us normal human beings.

Again the mathemaretard shows us how retarded it is by lack of understanding and logic in its sad brain.

This really makes me think

because dr bazinga man doesn't do pure math

>because dr bazinga man doesn't do pure math

That actually makes a lot of sense. There are no mathematicians in the big bazinga theory after all.

Bazinga, my good man.

Idk bout u but I want to learn as much as I can about physics and I feel like I need to be very very good at math to know what I'm doing. A physicist without math is like a male with no dick. You can dance around the subject but you can't penetrate it.

Some of the mathfags on the internet seem rather autistic, perhaps just a bit more than other stemfolks. But I really don't think anyone should even approach the implication that they're worthless. And of course, mathematicians shouldn't look down upon others as long as they don't give no fucks about math. Everything is math. Even when you're deciding what to wear, it's putting a shirt into a function of that day and determining the outcome.

>I want to learn as much as I can about physics
I totally agree.

>I feel like I need to be very very good at math to know what I'm doing
Totally disagree, math is just a distraction. It takes time just to deal with the extra step and most importantly it is deceptive as to what is really going on.

The only thing thats worth something in math is the pure calculation side of it. If you want to know how fast something is going to be, how much energy you will need or if some idea you have would work in real life then it's very useful.

>The only thing thats worth something in math is the pure calculation side of it.

If physicists had only cared about the calculation side of it then they would have never discovered any new laws. This confirms you are retarded. How do you think big new theories like general relativity are formulated?

>cs #1
woah, looks like Veeky Forums was the branelet all along

>you're retarded!
>No, YOU'RE retarded!!
>no, YOOOOOOUR RETARDED!!!!!!

Fuck. Veeky Forums has gone to total shit. There is literally zero interesting, productive, intellectual conversation here.

So.. What's really going on? Do all the different particles really have nothing to do with math? Guys like Einstein and Hawking sort of gave me the notion that if you're good enough at math you can find the answers with just math. That even though math and the universe itself seem to behave illogically at times, there is still an underlying truth to both that is equal. At the least knowing math will give you a sense of direction in between experiments and whatever else is going on

>Implying this isn't what Veeky Forums has always been and always will be.
>Inb4 "your wrong retard"

true

>What's really going on? Do all the different particles really have nothing to do with math?
Math is making models of the world that always are simplified and that may not have anything to do with how the world actually is. For instance there's a simple pendulum equation to predict how you'll see planets move around in the sky, but planets don't go back and forward, they actually go around in a circle. And even that is wrong because there's relativity, and individual particles, and particles aren't really particles. And then you'll make stupid shit like probability densities and superpositions. All of which is no more than a glorified pendulum equation.

>All of which is no more than a glorified pendulum equation.
Jesus fucking christ.

Currently going to my gia year with a gpa of 2.6 doing a BSc. In chemistry with no volunteer hours or work experience. How fucked am I in finding a job that even somewhat relates to my degree.

mech engineering 3rd year atm, all my classmates fall into either chads or autists, no exception, i myself the latter

oh you're fucked sweetheart, even if you get a job it will be doing the same thing over and over again. Im going for my PhD in organic so trust me, get that to a 3.0 and get good at analytical if you dont want to try to get a masters

this, 100%. you're fucked without a masters at least. My BS in biochem is pretty much worthless without graduate school

Neuroscience, math minor. It's essentially a bio major focused on the brain. In 8 years I'm gonna become an orthopedic surgeon making 700k/yr while you guys continue to shitpost on Veeky Forums.

why not do both?

I was a physics major, math minor, but my GPA was 3.7. I switched to neuroscience because I needed a higher GPA for John Hopkins. Math major would kill my GPA. I'll do a post bacc if I don't get into John Hopkins

no i mean why not shitpost and make 700k/yr.

Maybe I'll specialize in anesthesia and shitpost while I'm bored in the OR.

How about pharmacy school? Some universities in Canada only require 2 years doing an undergrad and a 2.5 gpa. Do you think I'd have a good chance of getting in with a degree in chemistry? (Provided I obviously do well on the PCAT)