I hate audio books so fucking much

I hate audio books so fucking much.

audio books hate you too!!!

Why?

when i listened to the sun also rises on audiobook i almost threw up

Not gonna lie, I'm a huge fan of'em.

I've been using audiobooks to ease myself into books in general. I really like music but I find reading difficult so being able to experience reading in an audio form is actually extremely helpful for me.

Theyre pleb tier.

I dont like them too much either, but you dont have much of a choice when commuting many hours a day.

Just buy earplugs.

I like audiobooks for nonfiction but hate them for fiction. Does that make sense?

Yes it does. Non fiction doesn't *necessarily* require the same kind of acute attention that a fictional cohesive narrative does.

Audiobooks are good only if there is a good narrator. There are maybe two or three good narrators in the whole field, the rest are terrible.

Plus, I find that it is harder to pay attention and remember details when listening to an audiobook.

I'm convinced audiobooks are for people who don't have the attention span to actually read the book. They can throw on an audiobook and sort of pay half attention to it and say that they read the book when they're done.

This is a weird kind of elitism. Reeks of the kind of desperate need to find oneself superior to someone else. I prefer it when that part of Veeky Forums attacks film goers or the like.

I listen to audiobooks when I walk to and from work, and while running at the gym to get in about an hour and a half each day.

All non-fiction requires an intense amount of attention to detail.

I'm reading Apollonius and Keynes, if I lapse for a single second with either of these authors or forget to go over some terms they've defined, I'm fucked man. Non-fiction is fucking stressful as hell.

>running /at/ the gym

Do you subliterize?

I live in the hellhole that is San Francisco, running in the winter means running in the cold and rain which I am ok with, but also having to deal with the fucking hoards of homeless.

No I submodernize.

i'd rather listen to podcasts. hearing someone narrate a book sounds so unnatural and ruins it for me.

This is mostly true but there's nothing wrong with listening to one after reading the book first.

>sort of pay half attention to it

Why exactly do you believe that people can't pay full attention to an audiobook?

You are literally getting the same end result, people who read the same book that someone listens to an audiobook of will have experienced the same book, assuming they both paid attention.

Is there a list somewhere of the best audiobooks? I know something like this is subjective (everyone has their own listening preferences), but I'm curious what the best recitation of Blood Meridian or J R would be.

Opinions are like pimples.

Everyone has them.
Nobody likes them.

What makes a good narrator? A robust voice?

I find that reading let's me absorb and retain knowledge far more thoroughly than listening to someone speak.

What makes a good narrator changes from book to book. Each book requires its own sort of cadence and pacing. A good narrator is defined by someone who can capture the correct style for the book they are presenting. A bad narrator is someone who just reads the book.

>short history of nearly everything audiobook
>plus physical book
>audio playback @1.25x
>highlighter in hand
>drink in other
>pajamas
how do you push the boundaries of comfy

It's like watching a film on your iphone

J R has a good one.

I've started to use audiobooks to acquire listening skills in the foreign languages I study (after learning to read in them, I thought it would be nice to do a further little effort and also be able to consume other media).

I started to like them.

By putting them on when I go to bed I solved my insomnia (I use an app that automatically stops the playing after a set time, which gets reset whenever you slightly move the phone to signal that you are still awake).

I can now do something productive (or at least not get bored) while doing house chores, washing dishes, ironing, exercising etc.

When I'm tired or I can't keep my eyes open it's nice to just lay in a half awake state and listen to a story.

what is this app? Which languages?

>what is this app?
The app I'm using at the moment is "smart audiobook player", but I think this is a common feature (even my podcast app - pocket casts - has it)

>Which languages?
English and German

I can't personally use them because I'm dead, but I love audio books because they finally got my incredibly non-literary dad into books. He mostly listens to generic dad-core but I'm slowly nudging him towards some authors I enjoy, it's nice to have some common ground.

I don't see why you should hate what is simply another method to enjoy books.

>I can't personally use them because I'm dead

you meant deaf, right?

Why are you assuming that? It makes sense that dead people don't have much use for audiobooks either