ITT post books you're currently reading and then books you plan on reading after

ITT post books you're currently reading and then books you plan on reading after

Currently reading:
Apollonius - On Conics
John Maynard Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money

Reading next:
Ptolemy - The Almagest
Carl Menger - Principles of Economics

>reading primary texts of literal high school math
psued

Reading right now:
Simone Weil - Waiting for God

Reading next:
Jean-Paul Sartre - Nausea

Just finished the introduction of 30 pages, I feel confused, in a way, but connected at the same time. However there was one excerpt that made me sad, "Indeed, in a sense I do not exist. I am the color of dead leaves, like certain insects." What a tragic figure.

Reading:
D. Quixote

Next:
Wanted to read Homage to Catalonia, can someone tell me if it's too much of a "historical/political" book or if it is mostly Orwell telling what he did that day/the conversations he has with his friends/how the battles played out/his opinions?

On Conics is literally never read in a fucking high school. The only time I ever talked to someone about On Conics they were reading it in college.

If you're talking about the MATERIAL, yes parabolas are taught in middle school. But no one reads On Conics, which deals heavily with the properties of parabolas, in middle school.

Not him, but why read these kind of stuff if there are more didatic modern books on this subject?

Not him but math history is interesting to math nerds.
>reading now
Prologema

>next
Critique of Pure Reason

Reading- Mrs Dalloway

Reading next- the second sex

>Current reading
The Iliad

>Next on the agenda
The Odyssey

Read the Poem of Force after you're done with The Iliad

>more didactic
wat

Also, it is an intellectual challenge. Do you know how difficult it is to read these books? It sharpens the mental acumen and helps with high level explication and thought.

As much as I like Keynes, you might be better suited by just reading a synopsis. I read the general theory for fun while getting my undergrad in Econ and while I found it enlightening, it, like the wealth of nations, was more a slog than anything. Of course, you may be better equipped to get something there than I was/am

Currently reading: Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon

Next read: probably going to go for either Underworld by Don Delillo, or JR by William Gaddis.

I'm also thinking about trying Jerusalem next, but I'm worried it will be shit. The parts I've read so far were actually pretty good, though, tbqhf

>currently reading

rereading Shakespeare's King Lear
Dumas's The Three Musketeers

>next probable reads, haven't decided yet but I really want to read them

Debord's The Society of the Spectacle
Woolf's The Waves
Florescano's La bandera mexicana

Currently
>Pan
>Gwynne's Latin

Next
>Don Quixote (going to give the reading group a try)
>essential Latin vocabulary

Currently: Ulysses

Next: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, I really loved Seneca's letters, and I haven't had some good non-fiction in a while.

I'm equipped and I'm just now realizing how underequipped I was when I was an undergrad like yourself when I bought the book some 3 or 4 years ago.

Tough work, and references views on individual economists or schools I would not have gotten if I did not take the time to do some reading before it. Most likely I'm going to go back and read Carl Menger's Principles before doing any more reading in the 20th century just to make sure I have a solid foundation for what Austrian economics is based out of and the marginal theory of pricing.

I just got through ch. 13 and he continually referenced Irving Fisher's Theory of Interest which I just read. I was pleasantly surprised. He also referenced J.S. Mill's Principles which I also read.

There are currently 15 books I've started and haven't finished

Currently reading: Tours of Duty Vietnam War Stories and Robin Hood

Up next: Slavs in European History and Civilization, Swiss Family Robinson, starved for affection

>currently reading
Lolita

>planning on reading after
"Guzmán de Alfarache": by Mateo Alemán (Spanish medieval novel)

I have been into real Veeky Forumserature only for 2 years now, and I have other hobbies besides reading, so try not to bully pls

why

Currently reading:
Johannes Kepler - Somnium
Diodorus Siculus - Bibliotheca Historica

Reading next:
Horace Walpole - The Castle of Otranto

>other hobbies

What could you possibly be doing instead of reading?

>Oh cool someone reading something by Johannes Kep--

>it's the fiction work

>mfw

current reading:
Herr - Dispatches (thesis work)
Best American Essays 2016
Best American Short Stories 2016
pinecone - Mason & Dixon

I read ten things at once sometimes

Up next:
Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
James william Gibson - the technocrat war in vietnam (thesis work)
Virilio - Strategy of Deception (thesis work)
Virilio - Bunker Archaeology (thesis work)
James Keegan - The Mask of Command (thesis work)

You have high standards buster!

Videogames, TTRPG, and sometimes anime, manga and graphic novels/comics.

Not really. You'd think a board full of Pynchon readers would want to read a little bit of non-fiction to understand the basis of his concepts.

>Implying Keynes knew what the fuck he was talking about
>Implying economics is a science
Do better

Currently:
Das Glasperlenspiel (German) by Hermann Hesse
Republic by Plato (English)

next:
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

I don't think Keynes didn't know what he was talking about. He was well read, versed in economics and the real world application as well. What is wrong with his aggregate supply/demand curve theory? His investment multiplier?

Lose interest in one and become interested in another.

I should also say that none of them are fiction.

Currently reading The Histories, have a copy of plato's complete works waiting.

>inb4 living the meme

Now:
>A Short History Of The World (Wells)
Later:
>it's between War and Peace or Tolkien's translation of Beowulf

Current: Wind in the Willows

Next: The Tempest

Second that

You're doing good, user, but don't forget about secondary sources m8.

Currently
>The Idiot
>The Cossacks

Up Next
>Don Quixote Part 2 (waiting for the reading group since I finished the first part a few days ago)
>Heart of Darkness
>Kokoro

>Currently reading:
If Venice Dies
The Poetics of Space

>Soon:
Narcissistic Process and Corporate Decay
The Moth Snowstorm: Nature and Joy
In Praise of Shadows

Current
>Frankenstein

Next
>The Road

>The Idiot

That's a good one. If it wasn't for Sparknotes I would have been completely lost because those names are ridiculous. Especially since Dostoyevsky uses multiple names for each character.

reading: Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship, Newton's Principia.
Next: The Critique of Pure reason, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

currently reading:

rouges - derrida
the end of philosophy - heidegger
the abundance - dillard
varieties of religious experience - james
the muses - nancy
the foundation of universalism - badiou

reading next
aporias - derrida
what is called thinking? - heidegger
the muses ii - nancy
totality and infinity - levinas

Nassim Taleb - Antifragile

Next: Unknown book based on desire and curiosity so I don't need to force myself to read. (Advice via Taleb)

Reading right now:
Kafka-The Trial
Reading next:
Huxley-The Doors of Perception

The names are one of the main reasons I dropped that book. I made it halfway through completely enthralled in what it was all about before I realized that I had no idea who the fuck was who.

you're a real slutty reader

>currently reading
thus spoke zarathustra
>up next
lolita

i really wouldn't read meditations like a novel. rather, read a few thoughts a day and try to live by them.

Currently reading: C&P
Next: W&P or Infinite Meme

Just finished Hamlet. Gonna read a Hemingway book next, just not sure which one. Suggestions?

The Old Man and The Sea is amazing.

bump