Was there any writer before or after him (until the 19th century at least) that pondered life, death...

Was there any writer before or after him (until the 19th century at least) that pondered life, death, and meaning as deeply as he did in Hamlet?

Yes

Who?

bump

I remember when i first moved to united states for university, we had to read hamlet in one of the english classes. I was very happy as i had never read shakespeare before. Then, i read it, and i kept thinking is this it?

This is the guy that only anglos have the audacitynto compare to cervantes/goethe/dante?

de gustibus non est disputandum

instead of name dropping and pretending to have some deep and profound understanding of Hamlet, a play that you are probably pretending to yourself and to others to have been an incredibly profound experience because that's what smarter people tell you it is, why don't you explain it to us?

Why are you even on a literature board if you don't want to discuss literature? I was just asking for people's opinions, faggot.

so explain it.

Explain what? I asked a question, I didn't pretend to have a profound understanding of anything.

empty pseud posturing: EXPOSED

>he still hasn't discussed literature at all

talk about how hamlet is profound in its timeframe. no one can read your mind as to what elements you've interpreted in hamlet that people can draw comparison to others. discuss literature. lol.

Can you think of any other work of literature from the same time that has a character go on and on about death and he's a real character, not just a sinful caricature, that says the only reason people don't kill themselves is because they're scared of what comes after death, not because God tells them not to because it's a sin? Fuck off, faggot.

>I didn't pretend to have a profound understanding of anything.
Yes you did.

"Was there any writer before or after him (until the 19th century at least) that pondered life, death, and meaning as deeply as he did in Hamlet?"

If you're not pretending to know how deeply "life, death and meaning," as you put it, were pondered in Hamlet, then explain to us instead of just asserting this like you know what you're talking about.

lmfao, well I guess it looks like your retardation has been exposed, time to move on to the next thread.

i was going to recommend something but you keep telling me to fuck off. as you wish g'day, laddie.

Deeply doesn't necessarily mean profound. Deeply can just mean it's done a lot.
>still no discussion of literature

like all of them

>Deeply doesn't necessarily mean profound. Deeply can just mean it's done a lot.
lmfao, nice argument, bud, really made me think.
also,
>>still no discussion of literature
It's your thread, isn't it? What did you expect from you pretending to know how Hamlet is a "deep play" and asking other people to namedrop "deep plays" about *hits blunt* "life and death and meaning and like, fucking existence dude"

Projection: The Post.
Anyone who says Veeky Forums isn't shit is lying out their ass.

If I'm projecting, then why don't you explain how it was that Hamlet pondered "life, death and meaning" deeply? You said that it did in the OP, so why don't you explain? back up your claims instead of pretending to know what you're talking about.

I just did if you have the mental capacity to scroll up and read.

>"Can you think of any other work of literature from the same time that has a character go on and on about death and he's a real character, not just a sinful caricature, that says the only reason people don't kill themselves is because they're scared of what comes after death, not because God tells them not to because it's a sin?"

holy fuck this is hilarious, nice analysis, buddy. understanding of Hamlet. Really deep, really made me think. alright, looks like I won that one, time for bed. hope your thread goes well. Feel free to reply with a funny little frog or a "fuck off faggot" to make your self feel better, by the way.

Wow, it's almost like I never claimed to be some sort of genius or something! Imagine that!

This is painful, let him go.

Yes, Dante.

>that pondered life, death, and meaning as deeply as he did in Hamlet?

Hamlet is not deep. Actually, no Shakespeare play is quite deep and complex. They all deal with common-knowledge and good-sense kinds of wisdom. All that you find in Hamlet you also find in Montaigne, and Montaigne was mostly discussing with his own down-to-earth view of life the aphorisms and ideas of the old Greek and Roman thinkers. You can see anything in any play of Shakespeare presented in many other works from the past and form his own time.

The real deal with Shakespeare is his language, the way he presented things. He was a genius of language and metaphor, the greatest of all time, and he was constantly dressing old ideas with his own verbal clothes, in so beautiful and original a way that many of his phrases are now part of the communal language of humanity.

If you are great with figures of speech you can make a self-help flat-philosophical book sound as a profound revelation.

i cringed

Grimes' lyrics are as profound as anything Shakespeare ever wrote.

this desu