Is it really a meme that it's not really that important where you study when you're getting your undergrad?

Is it really a meme that it's not really that important where you study when you're getting your undergrad?

Utahfag here, I'm a non-traditional transfer student, as I was in the Army for a long time so now I'm late 20s, so obviously I've been out of the game for a while.
I want to go to University of Utah but they're harder to get into than Utah State University, but does it really matter if I'm just trying to get a bachelors anyway? I'll cross the graduate studies bridge when I get there

As long as you dont get it from some trash tier school then its fine, unless youre a fucking genius no one is gonna give a shit if you got your degree from

Protip op, if you were in the military any state college will do as you already over came the biggest hurdle a college bound student would need to deal with which is tangible experience.

Only non-military folks have to worry about the "prestige" of a college they enroll into as it is one of the few ways they can advertise themselves.

In other words you should be fine, just get go into an employable field and call it a day.

ayyy

fellow vet here. i already did what you are about to do (if you don't get lured away by something else). i got out of the military at 27, got my engineering degree by 30 and am already making six figures.

the GI bill is fuckin' rad. i literally made 35k$ a year just off the BAH and scholarship/pell grant refunds. pick a bunch of schools and apply. your vet status will get your foot in the door with a lot of schools, more than you think. you have a fuckton of options so don't limit yourself.

getting a job with vet status is ez.

What is a trash-tier school? DeVry? Or any other unaccredited equivalent.

Go to a school that's known in the field you want to go into for graduate studies, then do good work in that area. Letters of rec and competence will carry you far

Cool man, 27 here too
How does that process work? I need that money for other things so I can devote all my time to studies. I need that fafsa and Pell Grant money

you mean unless you're a fucking idiot right? I'm actually not that sure what you mean

About to turn 25 here. Got kicked out of university for shit grades 2 semesters in a row, have no financial aid if readmitted. Is the military my only option at this point?

Not your only option, since there are some trades and stuff you can do.
But as far as military goes, you will get a job, you'll be trained in that job, and you'll get paid while you do it. You'll get a free place to live, free food, free healthcare, and when you get out you'll get free college if you want to give it another go.

I was a medic, and got certified as an EMT, and that's a civilian cert, so I got to keep that when I got out. My medic training tuned into 25 credits too, putting me at the minimum I need to transfer to a larger university without having to apply as a freshman. All my tuition is paid for and I get a monthly housing allowance so I don't have to work to pay for rent, I can just go to school full time and only focus on that. So, the military was pretty shit a lot of times, hard work as I was an infantry platoon medic, and crazy stressful some days, but now I'm set for my future so I can't really complain.

Last year I had a vet tell me my schools engineering program was trash, that the professors didn't know what they were doing, and that even though he got a c in precalculus (which was his highest math), he could get in anywhere (including Stanford, which is where he told me he was applying) because of "vet preference." I'm not sure who is telling vets this, but it's not true. There are a couple schools that like non-traditionals as token candidates, but you still need the grades to get into schools.

Bump

No. I have your same experience, kicked out for GPA dipping. Now im on track for a PhD.

go to community college and raise your GPA, retaking classes if you need to
Apply to a legit 4 year once you have a decent GPA (2.5+, i suggest 3+)
From my experience, colleges love transfer students. Overall my fuckup only cost me 1.5 years or so, could have been so much worse

Same here senpai
except i goofed even harder took me about 6 years to course correct but that was mostly my fault I could have fixed it in about 2 years if i had taken my head out of my ass

Excellent job user. It's never too late, that's for sure, glad you made it back in eventually!

more advice: own up to your failures in your personal statement letters. You for sure have to mention why you had been kicked out, what you learned, how you overcame whatever issue you had, and how it taught you that you want to be here (in academia). fully address and own your mistakes, it shows maturity

thanks m8

Yes, studying at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) makes you as employable and you can expect a similar salary as you'd if you had studied the same course at MIT (Mississippi Institute of Technology)

I went to community college, got my AA, transferred to University, then just got my ass kicked cause I didn't go to class a lot. My classes were mostly only available 7am-8am range and I worked nights, had to commute an hour to school. 2 semesters of this I got kicked out as biofag.

If I get readmitted, it has to be under a different major, and since I'm ineligible for the Engineering/Comp. Sci departments at my school due to too many withdrawals, the only thing I could realistically do is some non-stem shit, Math, Physics, and Business. Currently taking trig->D.E. path at the CC I got my AA from, doing okay, but I'm wondering if I should pursue math or go for my CC's Bachelor of Computer Engineering Technology. I know they're not real engineers though, so that's my only qualm.

Everything I'm doing I'm paying for out of pocket so I gotta choose wisely.

I cannot help you with those decisions or anything, im just saying it is possible to go back after being put on academic suspension or probation.
I also had to change majors, but it turns out the first thing i was majoring in was just randomly selected and that's one of the factors why i didnt do well/care about it at all, and failed out (i just didnt really go to class, i was intelligent enough to do ok on tests studying on my own up until organic chemistry)

Orgo is what fucked me up first time around. I know it's possible to go back, just still feel kinda lost.

>, just still feel kinda lost.
make an executive decision, especially if it's in a direction you know will better yourself. It was very difficult for me but i think i would have offed myself if i was still working at a grocery store talking to mouthbreathing coworkers about current events. Good luck user

On a state university level you'll probably need to work a bit more than an R1 student, but it's not an overt disadvantage. The advantage someone at a place like MIT gets is the potential publications and letters of recommendation from a reputable person in the field by working in their lab. Compared to some relatively unknown professor (that said a glowing letter from a less known professor who's known you for a long time is more useful than a lukewarm letter from a leading figure).

TL;DR: What you do at your uni is more important than where you go (although doing a lot at a more prestigious uni is probably better than doing the same at a less prestigious one)