Why is a direct digital rectal exam still the "gold standard" for a variety of lower pelvic and spinal issues...

Why is a direct digital rectal exam still the "gold standard" for a variety of lower pelvic and spinal issues? Why hasn't science developed a better method yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>not enjoying getting your ass fingered by hot chad doctor

I'm scared that my doctor will get his hand dirty of shit and think I'm dirty or something. Am I being autistic?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche

No, it's not autistic. Let me explain as someone with medical training - the natural disgust reaction can be suppressed in many situations, but it never goes away. Poop is gross. And yes, pulling a shitty finger out of someone's anus is disgusting. That impulse NEVER goes away.

And yet, somehow, it has never dampened mankind's enthusiasm for pudding.

Because instrument development is arguably more of an engineering problem than a science problem. And we all know where the engineers' interests lie.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's not like he'd expect to find rose petals up there.

>assess the anal canal

The poof is in the pudding

It's a very simple and quick method that can help to discover a number of different conditions.

Im a doctor and it literally does go away. I did all i could to avoid catheters during my degree and now work relatively closely with urology. DREs are incredibly minor, i regularly have to digitally "unpack" constipated patients and i dont care. So no-one worry, i can guarantee your doctor is not even giving it a second thought.

Do guys ever try to make it less awkward with small talk or something? Any good stories about your job?

I used to have lots of jokes and small talk but got brought up on it so many times i stopped, patients like quite a lot of humour and jabs but all senior staff hate it.

Part of that is not sharing any interesting stories or private details or else it would bring the industry into disrepute. I do understand that part. No-one should ever have to think something embarrassing that happened to them in hospital is being talked about.

Understandable. I admire your professionalism even on Veeky Forums of all places user.

If you talk to a doctor in person he might have some interesting ones; if you anonymize the story and it isnt disrespectful then you are allowed to talk about it. I just find it easier to have a blanket rule.

You ever had a patient asking to go deeper?

there are "better" methods, like MRI. it's just that those involve a lot of expensive equipment, and sticking a finger up the patient's ass is cheap. so they do the cheap test first, and then move on to the high tech solutions if they need a better look

Lol no, that would only make it more awkward.

I just treat it like any other test or exam.

i agree
any kind of embarassing exam doesnt put me in a talking mood, just do it as fast as possible, then we will talk

in medical technique, firs there must be a physical exam, later comes the study like the ct scan, only fools came to the doctor asking for ct o rm, so if the study comen negative? what´s next? more money to spent?

This is the better method. Not physically invasive in the surgery sense

>be at the doctor's office
>checkup, nothing too serious
>everything's going fine
>until he has his fingers in my ass
>ask him if he has to be so rough
>tells me "Who's the dentist here pal, you or me?"

It is definitely dependent on the individual. I'm a forensic tech at a medical examiner's office. I FUCKING HATE poop. Especially when the body bag is full of diarrhea or the decedent is caked in dried feces. It's absolutely repulsive.

I'll be in full PPE with 3 fucking layers of gloves on and still have to go through mental gymnastics to run a bowel.

I'd imagine working with dead people's faeces is an entirely different game.

I have a DRE scheduled for my next physical even though I'm only 20. Is this normal? I thought I wouldn't have one until much later in life.
Also how do you suppress a boner when the doc is 3 knuckles deep pressing your prostate? I'm into that kind of stuff but I don't want the doc to find out

I'm 25 and also have a DRE scheduled. Kinda nervous about it

>is particularly sensitive to the grossness of failing human bodies
>is employed as a person who is constantly faced with the grossness of failing human bodies

U dun goofed ur career path m8, money only ameliorates to a certain point of comfort.

Its honestly just poop. I'm cool with anything else. I just don't like poop.

I mean, knowing one of my cases is HIV+ is a little sketchy, sure. Poop though man.

why is this allowed

>not taking pleasure from anal masturbation
>they can't into anal orgasm

The exam itself is not a big deal; it'll take a few seconds and be slightly awkward, but less irritating than having blood drawn or getting shots.

One neat thing I did with a girlfriend once - I was able to feel the back of her uterus through her rectum. It's called uterine retroversion, and about 30% of women have it (it's not a pathology; it just means that the uterus tilts toward the spine in its resting position rather than toward the abdomen).

I had to stick my finger deep in there and press upward, and then I could feel the surface of a smooth little organ. I pushed down on her abdomen with my other hand to get a closer feel.

I thought it was neat; she said it made her feel like pooping.

Surgical tech here...given all the advances in medicine, surgery is still just a lot of poking shit with your finger. Same principals apply to your asshole.