Math learning disabilities: help and coping

Have any of you guys successfully conquered your math learning disability? I really need help.

I've got dyscalculia ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia) and really I'm just looking for coping tactics.

I'm about to start college and because of this, I wasn't able to pursue any of my dream majors (____ engineering/science) and even had to sign up for "Intermediate Math" (aka algebra II in college for shortbus people like me), and even then I barely passed algebra II to begin with. And that was in Junior year, 3 years ago (I fell for the gap year meme too)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2988647.stm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Going down the Wikipedia symptom list, the following absolutely (and most pertinently) apply to me:
>Inconsistent results in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
>When writing, reading and recalling numbers, mistakes may occur in the areas such as: number additions, substitutions, transpositions, omissions, and reversals.
>Poor memory (retention & retrieval) of math concepts; may be able to perform math operations one day, but draw a blank the next. May be able to do book work but then fails tests.
>Difficulty with multiplication, subtraction, addition, and division tables, mental arithmetic, etc.
>Inability to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences.

and then there's the litany of other not-quite-math related symptoms that accompany it that I also have:
>>Difficulty reading analog clocks
>Difficulty reading musical notation. (I'm an excellent musician but I've never been able to even begin to comprehend written music)
>Having particular difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance (e.g., whether something is 3 or 6 meters (10 or 20 feet) away).
>Problems with differentiating between left and right.

something that's always bothered me about math (specifically algebra) is the abstractness of it all

for example, I've learned how to factor polynomials, but why? For what purpose? What does it achieve? What function does it provide, what applications can it be used for?

this is why I like computer science, it's all obvious what everything's for and it's all applied mathematics

but when I learn for-rote all the algebra, it's much harder to make any sense of it

Once you finish your first year of university it should all make sense, assuming you have finished calculus 1 and 2 and an introductory physics course.

Just rote your way through it, work your ass off, then you'll "get" it. It's not that hard dude, spend like 2-3 hours a day and you'll do fine.

I watched a few documentaries on dyscalculia a few months ago, it was very interesting. unfortunately i dont know any advice for people with this condition

>something that's always bothered me about math (specifically algebra) is the abstractness of it all
perharps reading books on Applied math would help with this, learning practical applications of these things

I think I have this. I'm close to graduating with a BS in Network Inforkation Technology. I want a comfy sysadmin job. Unfortunately I've failed trigonometry three times and need it to graduate. I've earned wonderful marks in every course but that. It's really awful and I feel like I've disappointed my family. This fall is my last shot.

Cant you talk to tour teachers or administrators? If you get diagnosed with dyscalculia and show them proof, maybe they'll understand.

The criteria for dyscalculia sounds exactly like low intelligence.

Einstein didnt have low intelligence, and lots of studies say that Einstein had dyscalculia (which is why he failed math ones, and his wife had to do all the math of special/general relativity for him).

>believing in pop-sci mass-media lies

or maybe this is just bait

If you can provide one study that shows Einstein failed math, I'll believe you.
To quote the man:
>I never failed in mathematics
>Before I was fifteen I had mastered differential and integral calculus

i think you're confusing computer science with programming, which is a curious subject for someone with dyscalculia to be interested in.

For the record, you can still do a science, but it'll have to be a soft (social) one, like psychology or sociology, maybe.

Einstein never failed math, he just said he didn't like it. He thought it took away from the idea that all science should be provable in layman's terms

or at least explained.

As for dyscalculia (sic) it is so rare that nobody knows anything about it. Not even sure it exists. "I can't do math..." "OK, must be a learning disability"..."I can't pay attention in class" " OK, must be a disability" " I have no talent in the field I wish to pursue" "OK, must be a disability"

this

dyscalculia is just an excuse for people who don't want to realize that they simply aren't intelligent and/or interested enough to understand math

I struggled with this, but overcame it well enough to make it through DEs
It gets easier when you get older
Practice, practice, practice, it helps
You need to work harder at it
If your math teacher isn't helping, try a different one
Math is a language and there are many ways to say/explain the same thing

Exactly. Math is a language. If you cannot learn that language, try another. While pure math is a fixed thing, the language used to describe and explain it is not fixed, or immutable. If one way of looking at math doesn't work for you, try again. There are an infinite number of ways to understand math, but still only one math.

Sadly, I was looking for a channel on international politics, but got stuck here. I love math, and hate classes in math. The profs are either fools or following a curriculum that was developed in 1940.

or both lol

right in the feelz bra

little add: in the school they told us "well yeah he was bad in math, worst grade" although its the opposite (6=1)

This

A couple of years ago there were buses in London carrying huge ads with a quote about Einstein being bad at math.

Well, I mean, how the hell does someone with dyscalculia manage a nested loop?

a rather embarrassing example of my dyscalculia.

Even though I know that 6*-11 is -66, I still wrote down -60 anyway. I'm not sure why, but I do this kind of thing all the time

learning disabilities are a meme

It just means you're a brainlet, don't be too hard on yourself, just don't go around saying you have a disability.

Einstein had outstanding marks in physics and mathematics on his high school exams, having begun to study calculus on his own as a teenager. Saying that Einstein failed math is a myth that brainlets tell themselves to feel better.

i often have a lot of trouble building a picture of what i'm working with in my mind. once i have it though it's not too bad. dunno if you'd call that dyscalculia, ADD, or just brainletism

thats not a disorder you mong that's you just not paying attention

I just deal with it by always carrying my trusty fx85gt with me. Works pretty well.
All except the maths concepts part.

READ what you fucking write, CHECK your fucking steps and stop being a lazy fucking cunt

>I self diagnose with wikipedia because I'm too much of a lazy faggot to do anything that requires attention and effort
git gud

Failing may be a meme, but it just shows what people are capable of, If someone like him, who had dyscalculia, dyslexia, autism, depression, social anxiety disorder, and ADD could still do so well in math and physics, then go on to achieve a noble price, people with only one or two of those disabilities can do anything.

>if I tag myself with a lot of fake shit then this is encouraging to retards
can't you read? he was great at math, always
how about instead of wasting time reading wikipedia to diagnose you with as much shit as you can, you open a fucking book and do the exercises?

what are you talking about, im not taging myself, im saying what he had based on experts diagnosing him.

Because there are a lot of second order polynomials that need to be solved.
There ia literally no historical evidence of this. Einstein was alway great at math and physics.

Retrospective diagnosis is a thing you know. just google the claims, heres a link for him having autism for example
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2988647.stm

that's retarded. you're retarded

If you are a programmer who doesn't have a decent grasp of basic Linear Algebra methods and numerical algorithms (which include lots of elementary algebra), you won't ever implement good, efficient and clean code.

Case in point: Let's say you are writing a graphics application and need to repeatedly solve a linear system Ax=b over e.g. a for loop for different x and b. You can either be stupid about it and do a naive multiplication with inverse every time, or use a Cholesky decomposition to do it far faster.