Tfw wasted years on the self taugh meme

>tfw wasted years on the self taugh meme
>tfw after all that time wasted I came with mediocre knowledge and skills

Maybe you just weren't meant for anything more than mediocrity, OP.

that goat knows what is going to happen :(

that goat looks so fucking sad

You can always improve your knowledge and skills mate.

RIP Goat :(

How did you 'self teach'?

Let's have a discussion and we can see if you're a tard.

reading the books.

wasn't aware of the drunning nigger effect.

Ok, what would you say you have read about the most?

Philosophy? Science? Math? History?

First things first, it's called being an autodidact. It's not something for everyone. In fact, reading books and learning things isn't something that everyone is suited for. I'd even go so far as to say that most people aren't suited for it.

But it's good that you have realized this yourself, now you won't waste more time at least.

Probably you weren't meant for it, but there are other ways that you could have failed too:

-Spread your attention too much. You need to focus on one area at a time to get a good grasp of it.
-Not being disciplined enough. You need to handle the hard stuff, even if you don't feel like it.

I was reading a little bit of everything.
ended up knowing about anything and knowing nothing at all.

I'm going to college now.

What are you studying at college? Don't waste your time and resources on the arts or humanities, that's a case where being a n autodidact is actually better.

doing now software engineering.

going to take a bunch of electives.

This is a good point.

I'm a natural autodidact and absolutely cannot learn in a formal setting; although, for me discipline would be required for attending school or university, as researching and reading at my leisure is absolute bliss.

The idea of it requiring discipline is, for me, akin to the idea that I would have to be disciplined to eat an entire tub of ice cream; I wouldn’t.

Omnomnomnom.

That's great, that's what I'm doing myself. I've been thinking a lot about going the autodidact path, too, but I'm aware that the risk of ending up just where you were before is quite high. I don't actually feel that CS is my life's calling, but at least it guarantees an income if one sticks with it for a few years.

Wait, how long have you been doing this?

Also, you need a proper base.

I'd start with philosophy, from the Greeks onwards, then upon arriving at modern science, begin your scientific education.

I can recommend books and resources.

You'll end up learning quite a bit of history this way too, and no doubt touch on some literature and even a bit of math.

I've wasted a bunch of years doing autodidact shit, it feels good but there's not a formal way to test your knowledge also you can become lazy and half study a shit thinking you're hot shit.

there's a lot of pitfalls and there's also the druggen knigger meme shit.

is easier to test your knowledge in college, plus there are teachers and is a better enviroment.

after some years you feel like you'd wasted your time and you want to kill yourself for not getting that stupid piece of paper.

Do you have any material that deals with how to handle discipline and morale, how to stay healthy and have a regular schedule, not give in to depression, make regular meals etc? That seems to be the hardest challenge to me.

Join the Army

eh I've considered it, I don't really think it'd give me enough time for reading and reflection though

WTF is druggen knigger?

>is easier to test your knowledge in college, plus there are teachers and is a better enviroment.

Not if you're an autodidact.

I don't think it's something you 'just do', it's not like it was a choice.

I've got the papers, that was where the discipline came in, but I hardly learnt anything in school/uni compared to what I learnt outside of it, in my own time.

Also, have you seen most uni graduates these days? Even post-grads?

Dunning-Kruger.

When idiots think they understand something complex, when they really don't.

Equally, there's a sort of reverse effect, where smart folk think people understand more than they actually do.

It's part of the reason that teaching can be quite hard, at least at a high enough level.

No, I have absolutely no schedule or discipline and am a reccurent depressive.

dunning krugger.

you know you can combine both a major with self study, right?

Is it possible to be depressed without realising it?

Yes, but usually you do notice it. If you find no joy in the things you are doing, avoid talking to people, spend a lot of time in bed and/or shitposting on Veeky Forums and/or other social networks, then you are likely depressed.

ty

What if I've just been that way all my life?

you've got problems

Yes.

I don't exactly have that positive an outlook anyway, philosophically speaking, so I usually only notice when the physical/somatic symptoms start to creep in.

I was out for six months last time, like lead in a bed.

I dunno. I don't think I'm depressed but something ain't right. I feel like I've got two lives going. My successful happy one with academic success, and the other me which realises I'm not satisfied and I spend too much time shitposting and sleeping and not doing the things I want to do (eg I'll read a book for an hour at 10 am tommorow, then I end up shitposting the whole day or playing mindless video games).

I know I'm ass-talking right now but I fancied typing some of this shit out.

I have the exact same thing, so you're not alone. I think a lot of people have it.

>I was reading a little bit of everything.
>ended up knowing about anything and knowing nothing at all.

well realizing that you dont know shit is literally the first step to really start learning on your own.

Once you know that you suffered from Dunning-Kruger, your perspective changes and you start reading and learning with a lot of less pleasure and with greater joy.

>But it's good that you have realized this yourself, now you won't waste more time at least.

That's not true, everyone can be an autodidact, the only people that have problems with that is people that already think they know too much.

I am an autodidact too. Luckily what I am studying doesnt require me to have a formal degree. However I am soon going to find a personal teacher. Like a master and disciple kind of relationship. This is the fastest and best way to learn, even better then college or university.
The master/disciple relationship has the benefits of:
*Getting full attention and being personally tutored.
*Getting 1 on 1 lessons.
*Learning oral and practical stuff that is not found in books.
*Able to ask as many questions as you want
*Getting life advice and wisdom besides the things you study
*Having a second father or second mother.

Sadly these kind of relationships are quickly dissapearing from the world, but it is still possible to do if you want it bad enough,
What do you want to accomplish in life? If you aren't willing to die for your passion then will accomplish nothing more then mere mediocracy. Though just because at this time in your life you aren't willing to suffer immensly to achieve what you want, doesn't mean that your flames of passion wont be sparked on later in life. Stay optimistic.

This.

Wouldn't surprise me. I just need simple fixes to fix my life. I know what to do I just don't do it. Anyway I told myself I'd go to bed 2 hours ago so I best be off

>becoming a programmer

You know companies these days just pay poos pennies on the dollar for programs that are probably better than what you'll ever do.

>reading and learning with a lot of less pleasure
pressure*

Same, actually that's a good queue for me to head off to bed too. Sleep well, bro.

Depends on your qualifications tbqh. I'm doing a five-year programme, and I've already got plenty of skills (including some leadership experience) that strongly sets me apart from loos after two years. Sure, they can probably grind out Java apps faster than I can, but companies do need engineers, too - people who can run projects, take initiative and overcome challenges they have not encountered before, and have a wide array of tools to handle the unexpected and know when and how to use them.

What do you do to fix it? I know that therapy's bullshit but I can't just wait it out, and forcing myself to do things doesn't help me either—

>not give in to depression
pls give material if you have it

Who here /has no friends/. I have mates at college and work, but they're temporary, once I've left college and got a new job they'll be gone, like piss in the wind.

Would be nice to have a proper friend. Maybe I'd shit post here less often.

lmao I guess we're going full /r9k/ here~
Yeah, I tend to blow people off p hard—not because of them but because of myself. I can't stand to be around people as awful as myself, but I can't deal with being a leech on better people. Unfortunately, they tend to take it as an insult when it's in fact the opposite (I understand how this sounds).

ITT people think "autodidact" means just reading books.

will learning from home get me girls or gf

no

if you need to ask this kind of questions, then no, nothing will