Can long periods of depression and/or stress make someone lose IQ? i feel like my attention, focus...

can long periods of depression and/or stress make someone lose IQ? i feel like my attention, focus, mental speed and acuity and problem solving skills have all deteriorated severely as a result of these past few years.

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/depression-can-damage-parts-of-the-brain-research-shows-10391338.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

These are all symptoms of depression, yes. Generally speaking long-term stress and related are risk factors of minor immune suppression, which also gives these symptoms, along with fatigue. Just like depression, too.

Are these changes permanent even if I do manage to get better in the future?

No. They're not permanent if it's depression. Even less so if it's just e.g. magnesium deficiency. Ironically, high doses of magnesium [buy lactate] are recorded to have a chance of helping with both.

Not OP.
What about eating a lot of junk food? If I have a really shitty diet, would it make me less smart over the course of a few years?

It can cause physical brain damage, but that damage can heal.

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/depression-can-damage-parts-of-the-brain-research-shows-10391338.html

It depends on the severity, and how long it's gone untreated. If it's not a particularly long time, eg. someone with major depression gets help in their mid-20s, it's probably negligible. If it's like some homeless guy who's been left untreated for decades and he's just gone deeper and deeper, then he's probably caused himself some permanent harm.

I think from reading previous articles, one of the biggest risk factors for this kind of brain damage is social isolation.

If you were smart you wouldnt feel miserable in the first place you faggot brainlet

How old are you op? After 26 my mind went to shit very quickly

>Not OP

Please stop posting, you dumb brainlet. You can't even read.

>I think from reading previous articles

What kind? Stuff from the Independent? Or something scientific and accredited? Independent is clickbait trash. Seriously, they frequently have very misleading headlines, which are borderline lies(or sometimes outright lies). I don't listen to sources that intentionally lie to me.

>one of the biggest risk factors for this kind of brain damage is social isolation.

What kind? I've been socially isolated for quite some time now, and I don't think it's made me any stupider.

Calm your bloody tits, that was just an the first example I pulled off Google after I mashed a couple keywords into it.

>I can't actually support my argument AND I'm lazy

t. so lazy that he didn't even bother to read the article before bashing the source

Y'know, like the bare minimum amount of effort.

Because if you did, you'd notice the link back to the actual journal article. Like, the full text, not just the abstract.

>so lazy he didn't even read my post

hahahhahahahahahah. Look back through the thread, u little retard

Depression is associated with a decrease in IQ that goes back to normal when the depression goes away. Attention span and memory are the cognitive functions most severely affected.

You said you don't listen to sources, you didn't say you didn't at least look at the source.

>I've been socially isolated for quite some time now, and I don't think it's made me any stupider.
Well, at least we can now answer that with an emphatic 'yes, yes it has'

>You said you don't listen to sources, you didn't say you didn't at least look at the source.

Are you trying to be stupid? This is the nitpicky behavior which is symptomatic of those with autism, but even this is taking it too far to be believable. I think you're trying to be stupid.

>Are you trying to be stupid?
Hey, I'm not the one who was speaking from a position of ignorance and arrogance.

Of all places, I'd expect information to be judged based on its merits and factual validity here, and not on the source of the information. Critical thinking and all that.

Maybe I simply expected too much from you. I'm sorry for not treating you like a complete brainlet, I've learnt my lesson.

>consuming more magnesium cures magnesium deficiency and its symptomatic depression
How is that ironic at all?

That's not true, depression and anxiety is common in high IQ individuals.

Okay but how solve?

It can cause some slight decreasement in cognitive functions. From my personal experience, I can confirm what this user says. Additionally, it can also cause what I'd describe as a 'foggy state of mind'

>What kind? I've been socially isolated for quite some time now, and I don't think it's made me any stupider.
There's no objective measurement. People who are lonely/ feel isolated often have similar social experiences like people who are quite content.
If you're suffering from your isolation, you need to make changes.

Get help?