I a nativ german speaker, but I'm also fluent in english

I a nativ german speaker, but I'm also fluent in english.

>Don't know if I should read german or english translations of foreing languages.

Can anyone relate?

Can't relate, but there are more English translations generally speaking, so you should have some more quality options. But if you feel your German is a step above your English, just read the available German translation because you might get more out of it.

I can relate. Since I speak spanish I usually read spanish translations of books which were originally written in a romance language. And everything else in english if available.

I can, the english translations are usually cheaper

ps. What is some good literature for learning deutsch? Translating Kinderseele by Hesse word by word with a dictionary now and it wasn't a very good idea; the words are there but the phrases don't make any sense. (I wonder if this is how Pynchon writes)

>realising that at this point I read faster in english than I do in my native language

Ofc my german is better but here's the thing: most german translations of classic texts are pretty fucking old, and while the prose can be great at times it also makes fluent reading unnecesary hard. This effect is not nearly as appearent in english.

I usually prefere german translations for russian books though. Russian translates quite well into german, and almost always reads very comfortable and has a nice flow.

Learning deutsch for a non-native speaker is a chore and you will never speak it perfectly. Might be enough for reading though.

But I can recommend Alice in Wonderland, as it has a very faithful and detailed translation. Get the Reclam print. Also get a original language copy so you can compare both.

"Der kleine Prinz" is a good childrens book. Easy and interesting. Good for learning I'd say.

As a French native, I usually get the French translation for foreign works, unless it was written in English, in which case I try to buy it in its original language.

Deutscher here. What I do is to simply choose the best translation out of a pool of all the english and german ones. If the best one is english so be it.

But how do I know which one is the best?

In general the German translations are very good. Especially the translations from Slavic languages.

Read them all, obviously.

I find asking native speakers about the best way to learn there language to be horribly unproductive—L2 speakers almost never reach the level of expressiveness that native speakers do in ANY language, not just German or Japanese or Chinese. Native speakers observe this and assume that there must be something special about their language (how many times growing up, assuming you're an English speaker, did you and your friends assume that the reason foreigners couldn't really speak English was because of things like "know"/"no," which must make English totally unlearnable?). Find another L2 speaker who's learned it to the level you want and talk to them.

>I a nativ german speaker, but I'm also fluent in english.
>fluent
No

I feel you bro. I don't know if i should read the russian authors in portuguese, my native language, or in english.

You gonna give op shit because of a typo? Let's see your german, tough guy

I don't claim to be anywhere near fluent in German.

I will make an attempt for you, though:
"Ich kann besonders gut Englisch sprechen aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut."
I think my grammar here is correct, but the expression itself probably is not natural.
OP also made multiple typos that are inexcusable unless he is on a phone.

Too much beer.

I can relate very well, I'm fluent in 4 languages, including German and English. I try to read books in their original language, but even though I'm a native German I read translations and write in English.

This, but for Spanish.

Fellow German here. There tend to be way better translations of classics in English, so I usually buy those in English.

>dGw ich drei Sprachen verstehen kann

I can relate senpai

>tfw Finnish

I read most things in English, translated or native. Finnish works in Finnish but rarely do I read my native literature. I'd like to read some stuff in German but my German is not very good so idk how I could power through something like Faust for example.

Yeah, German fits perfect with Russian literatur.
Plus we have Swetlana Geier.

>Alice in Wonderland
This book is all about the wordplays. Most of them cannot be transfered into the German language. The little Prinz on the other hand is ideal for learning.

How is this even a question, German is clearly the better language.

>idk how I could power through something like Faust
Mit einem guten Wörterbuch.