I'm looking for a novel that captures the feeling of alienation. Not feeling like you're really connecting to people...

I'm looking for a novel that captures the feeling of alienation. Not feeling like you're really connecting to people, feeling like you're doomed to never have a truly deep connection to another human being, feeling as though you're doomed at every interaction with another human being to be awkward and uncomfortable, feeling painfully alone and only having your imagination to look forward to a time when maybe things won't be so bad to keep you optimistic.

Maybe I Malavoglia?

MY

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

I know this feel.

>Feel so severed from other human beings
>Can't understand the light behind their eyes

I wish I was back in High-school talking to my fellow social outcasts. I haven't spoken to anyone meaningfully in real life for 2 years. This is the absolute worst feeling. Everyone's a normie that can't appreciate anything outside of beer and football. I knew it would be this way, but I didn't want to think about it.

Education is probably the only way out.
I'll never be able to talk to others unless they're up to par with my intellectual standards.

I can't work in construction for the rest of my life. I just can't deal with the isolation. I wish I could speak to another human being that isn't within the realm of my immediate family.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I can't even tell jokes.
They're more likely to take offense than to chuckle along with me.

>for 2 years

Coming up on 10 for me.

Everything Kafka ever wrote.

But looking at your post, his stuff is probably too subtle and clever for you.

Kafka's my favorite author. Fuck you, go die.

Phillip K Dick. I am of the opinion that the 21st was born somewhere in California in the mid late 1960s

dairy deshou

"Welcome to the NHK", a Japanese novel about a shut-in who gets driven insane by his isolation.

"Brave New World", which probably needs no explanation but it really nails the feeling of alienation that comes from being a traditionalist in a hedonist world.

I'm a native Japanese speaker, and this book sucks. All you dumb Americans just like it because of the foreign points that it gives you. WHOA LOOK HOW UNIQUE I AM FOR LIKING FOREIGN ORIENTAL LITERATURE. Fuck off, Dazai is a meme author. This is literally The Great Gatsby of Japan, and I mean that in a bad way.

The Book of Disquiet
Good Old Neon
Infinite Jest

>Welcome to the NHK

>wasting time on light novels

You might as well read the Twilight series.

I enjoyed it. The translation was a bit weird, but it was entertaining.

Can you name some non meme authors?

I also heard good things about Dazai from Japanese people.

>taking a meme post seriously

Sorry but browsing the internet too much has made me unable to distinguish memes from reality

NHK is the only worthwhile LN and you can read it in a couple of hours. Not really a waste of time

As a rule of thumb you should just ignore everything you see here

Coming from me who has experienced alienation, the main character in this book did not seem realistic. I was rather bored with him.

the stranger not mentioned?

houellebecq - atomised
ungar - the maimed
kafka - the trial

oh, also sabato - el tunel

Older light novels are pretty fun to blast through between serious reading sessions imo.
Nisioisin's stuff is neat for the most part.

I can't vouch for the newer publications that seem endlessly influenced by each year's wave of trash.
Maybe start with the Faust magazine authors and move forward until you hit breaking point because of how boring it gets. It won't take long.

S T O N E R
T
O
N
E
R

>calling the elementary particles atomized

bump

Is Camus' The Stranger too obvious? CĂ©line's Journey to the End of the Night, maybe.

Haruki Murakami!

anything by haruki murakami