Who else here studying in shit tier uni

>who else here studying in shit tier uni

Me
>200-400 world rank
>150 in my subject

Just kill me desu, I cant stand being in some countryside special-ed. Nobody will even hire me as this place has no prestige

Anons who are stuck in these kinda shitholes, how do you plan to compensate or have compensated?

tons of public universities in the united states are "shit tier", but still produce graduates with jobs.

>uni isn't even in the top 1000
Oh well, I don't know.

>200-400
>shit tier
>b-but user I'm >1000
that's what you want to hear right?
you want to be validated, right?
It's ok user, your uni isn't shit, and you know it
now stop fishing for compliments on an anonymous imageboard

Well its free which is nice but it could be better. Im sure il get a job but its probably not a amazing one

My dad got into Stanford in the 80's, and was convinced by his guidance counsellor to go to a pretty poor state school because of financial concerns.

A few years later he got his MBA from a top 5 school, and now he's been working as a business executive for the past decade earning far more than I ever expect to make.

Long story short: don't fuck up your undergrad, go to a good grad school, and shit can still work out.

this

fuck paying 40k/yr for undergrad

user, this place had barely any requirements and is public. There is nothing to compilemt or validate

Bout to be studying at OSU
Hopefully in its enormity I will be able to find just as many smart people as at a smaller better school r-right?

if by not fucking up you mean getting a 3.8+ gpa. keep in mind that stanford admissions during the 80's is less competitive than it is today.

>tfw shit tier university in shit tier country
feels good, just went to class for a while and got a decent job. im already on my way to the top and will start traveling next year.

with that said, go kys or whatever, you know is right.

My uni isn't even ranked.
but hey, its credited for discovering pluto

thats something i guess

where u get your degree is only a significant factor at your first job, then over time its value decreases drastically
my dad went to harvard and by the time he got to his second job nobody really cared lmao
dont stress over a piece of paper

Woulndt getting into top tier grad school be hard for a foreign student?

I was fine OP
I got my Bachelors in a shit place
But I applied for Masters in a not shit place and they let me in
So now when I apply for job I just state my Masters.

>200-400 world rank
You call that a shit-tier university? Mine isn't even in the top 1000. You should feel privileged.

Mine isn't even ranked for math, but I still BTFO PhD students on this board.

How did you end up in a place like that ,user?

>Top 5 world rank
>#1 in my subject
Feels good.

>Top 20 ranking
>Top 5 in my subject

I thought I was a retard after getting rejected from Harvard, but you guys always manage to make me feel better by comparison

The best uni in my country. I'm afraid of the big world, so I stayed here. The lecturers are good, but money is limited. At least we have a gold coin and tradition.

top 400 or some shit. I just like being comfy

>doing extra projects over the summer with my professors
>attending undergraduate conferences
>keeping a good GPA
>getting good references
if your school is absolute backwoods trash then just get as many transfer credits as you can and get the hell out of there.

>we have a gold coin
What? No country still uses the gold standard.
Have I been lied to?

> The best university in the country is barely top 300 on the world

It's the best I can get. I don't have neither money to leave country nor special talent to get a scholarship in first world.

Considering the fact that the rest of the universities on this shit hole are top 1000, it's not that bad to be on top 300.

Ranked 500-600, I could easily change into one ranked 100-200 but I fail to see the benefit

this is top tier advice from a financial standpoint. Unless money is no object, the smartest thing to do is do your core classes at a community college, then transfer those 2 years to a 4 year state school, do very well in the stateschool then get into a good graduate school (where you dont pay assuming you do an assistance ship, which, why the fuck wouldnt you if you're financially limited)

This is desu the best route unless money is no object OR you do well in highschool and get a fullride. Some 4 year unis only offer the fullride for entering freshman and not transfers so it is better imo.

A Fields medal.

Similarly to other posters here, the best university in my country is ranked in the thousands globally.

>how do you plan to compensate
By being the big fish in the small pond. I am already an honor student with perfect grades so I am already guaranteeing that my university will provide funding for gradschool (which they have already offered to me, they just told me to keep my grades until I finish and then I'm off for a free ride). So basically I am just waiting for that and self studying to be sure that I am at least at the level of american universities. Most of my classes actually achieve this in terms of content, but I notice that the tests given to me are a level below the tests I find online from american universities, so I gotta keep up.

That said, all of that is stage 1. If I get my grad school funding from my university, I know it comes with the condition that I must then work here when I finish my PhD and while I wouldn't mind that, I am now trying to aim higher. I think I can, because not many mathematicians come out from my country, and my country is technically "brown" so I got those diversity points for the US or Europe in case I need them.

I am able to secure this outside funding to go to grad school for free then I could potentially become big and live the life. And the worst I can possibly do is end up as a professor in this university, which already pays very well. A couple of my professors literally make 100k a year so even my worst case scenario isn't that bad.

Applied to Northwestern and Stanford for "reach" schools for undergrad physics and got into Northwestern (top 30ish?). Rejected from Stanford because a teacher didnt send in the letter of recommendation even after asking three times, but I dont think I would have gotten in anyways desu. Decided to just go to state school in midwest for free and eventually switched to EE with physics minor (top 100-300 EE). Much worse rank but fot grad school got into programs higher than undergrad (top 10). Also there were plenty of companies interested in me even from bumfuck state. Undergrad ranking really is a meme and transitioning to a high ranked grad school is definitely possible if you put in the work.

Vietnam? Brasil? Ukraine?

None of those. Guess again, and then I can tell you.

I applied to the best university in my country and I didn't make it like for three points. I went to my second choice.

What is your country?

you're better off as the big fish in the little pond

France? Russia? Japan?

Winland. The medal given to Ahlfors is next to our toilets.

Does rankings actually matter if you're undergraduate? I don't really think so. At least not in my country.

I'm about to earn CS degree with a 3.6 with a minor in statistics from a mid tier state school, with about 9 months of professional software development experience. Do I have a chance at getting into any sort of graduate school?

for an MS, probably better than you'd think
for a phd and some more competitive masters, research experience is king

Mikai et nyyymi päässyt Helsinkiin?

M8 just be happy your in a 1st world country. Our shit school are infinitely better than 3rd world shit school probably even their good schools. My cousin study mechatronics which is supposedly some type of engineering and he was barely taking physics in his final year and had some the worst design software I have ever seen.im glad my parents jumped the border

burger here, the thing with the states is that it has a shitload of unis. the rankings tend to be very populist, and generally speaking for undergrad most of the curricula are so identical as long as your school isn't absolute meme trash if you work hard you'll be fine.

by meme trash i mean shit like engineering schools that aren't certified by national engineering associations and devry.

>200-400 in world rank
hell, my school has a world ranking of 200-400, and the defense industry fucking sucks my school's dick. boeing and lockheed (major military companies in the US) come here to recruit like 3 times a year.
>Nobody will even hire me as this place has no prestige
tell that to the people from my uni working at google, amazon, ibm, and lockheed

academia might be a bit snobbier about it, business tends to be pretty elitist (so rankings carry some more weight), but the workforce (i.e. where most undergrads are going) doesn't really care as much

>500 world rank
>it's actually 2nd best in my country

The school I went to is top 100, but top 10 and top 15 in certain engineering and stem fields. We have a huge career fair and people have graduated from here to go onward to elite companies and graduate schools. You'd think the school is trash from the overall rank but the individual department ranks and prestige it has among companies show a different perception

>The medal given to Ahlfors is next to our toilets.
Further evidence that the Fields medal is a joke.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. These rankings are severely biased towards Anglosphere universities. Also, unless you're in a domain that is cash intensive (it requires a lot of lab equipment and stuff like that) when it comes to research and study, the calibre of the students >>> ranking of the institution.

Pääsin nimenomaan muttei löydy Hese matikkarankingista ainakaan jollain sivulla. Top 100 yleisesti tosin niin ei mikään superhuono.