Tell me why the common core answer ISN'T the correct one

Tell me why the common core answer ISN'T the correct one

because ""people"" like to write one line equations while saving on the parenthesis

20 / (5 (2 * 2)) = 1

(20 / 5) * (2 * 2) = 16

The education methods of Common Core are designed to make brainlets dumber and brainmores smarter. That's the reason why people get exasperated over the fuck that both appears to make little sense for teaching applications and also makes a ton of sense for teaching abstraction. Most of the conflict over Common Core mathematics, for example, is caused by that tension. On the other hand, Common Core English is straight up postmodern-influenced garbage designed to normalize propaganda and destroy critical reading abilities. Unfortunately, there are far more brainlets than brainmores, so while brainmores may be able to survive and even thrive in the new system, brainlets will only be held back, resulting in an intelligence inequality gap and a general dumbing down of the population as the education system no longer does what it needs to do. We'll be living in a world resembling Planet of the Apes as if it were ruled by a Jew-Asian ruling caste.

How would the old way get you one? Multiplication and division have equal precedence in the order of operations, and are solved left to right, so 20÷5(2×2) = 20÷5×4 = 4×4=16.

thank god i'm not the only one who knew this.

I'm a math teacher and I can tell you that the common core, at least for high school math, is vastly superior to what came before. Memes aside. If you don't believe that, go back to /pol/

It's not perfect, but it is better.

this being bait or not, kill yourself

I'm a math teacher that's smarter than you and you're wrong.

math was better when calculus textbooks were 70-90 pages long and the size of a regular book.

Common core is literally the minimum you need for an education system in a state/school.

If your schools can't meet it or your state can't really meet it then there's huge issues in the education system/institute.

You are right. But to be fair, those rules were arbitrarily chosen to allow us to omit parentheses. And to be always sure, what someone meant by writing that equation you should have parentheses almost everywhere. Also you could have chosen other set of rules and it would be perfectly fine too.

How badly am I being trolled? Parentheses before anything, then multiplication or division, then addition or subtraction, right?

Oh I see. Is this simply because its written on one line, or is that what common core entails?

It was written in an ambiguous way, so it shouldn't even be a valid expression

Stop posting this photoshopped garbage bait already.

/thread

Here is how they found the one I beleive (I don't bother to know how to use TEX)

20/5 (2 X 2)
^
(4)
5 times 4 equals 20 and then you divide 20 by 20 to get one.

The parentheses carries on to the number after the parentheses problems are finished

9bviously. But for ambiguous statements like that, you use pemdas and by pemdas it's 16.

>pemdas
>16

no, it isn't

20 / 5 (2 * 2) P

20 / 5 * 4 M

20/20 D

>muh left to right meme

See

>american education
youre kidding right? What and why is common core a thing?

Implicit multiplication takes precedence over division

Like I said before it makes smart people smarter and dumb people dumber because of its stupid and unsophisticated one-size-fits-all approach to introducing abstractions in mathematics, making it have an overall effect of dumbing down the population while promoting a greater intelligence/skills inequality gap in the population. And I haven't gotten started in English which is designed to dumb everybody down by providing options to eschew classics in favor of modern propaganda, so few people resist the status quo. It's not better, it's sloppy eugenics.

>Both answers are equally correct
LMFAO American """education"""

The 2*2 doesn't belong in the denominator of the other term.

It's not real.

yeah, i mean op was surely baiting by stating that the common core answer is the wrong one, but i doubt that picture is staged.

so, in case any american is wondering why europeans dont take them serious, theres the reason. the american education system is a bad joke.

These kids must be around grade 4 right? It's impossible they would learn that in the US. Most likely they'll be learning it in undergrad.

>20 / 5 * 4
>20/20
>evaluating from right to left
Manga virgins will defend this.

>peMDas
>peDMas
also

Virgin detected.

Multiplication and division have the same presidence and are right-associative. Since it is right-associative, you work from left to right.

There is no difference in order with implicit or explicit multiplication. We learn this in first grade, maybe you were absent that day.

The way pemdas is taught, if you have multiple operations of the same tier such as multiply divide, you go from left to right.

You do realize that American top tier colleges are vastly superior to the colleges available in whatever country you hail from, right?

Or format the equation correctly without ambiguity. The same way everyone with an IQ of over 20 does.