I'm I still the same person? Virtually all my cells have been replaced since I was a kid...

I'm I still the same person? Virtually all my cells have been replaced since I was a kid. So how can I be me if everything about me has been changed in the time I was born till now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well at least this version of you doesn't shit himself as much.

The information is largely the same, no?

Memory feedback loops

Of course you're you. That guy from 10 years ago died 10 years ago when he became that guy from 9.999 years ago etc.

You're always you, because you own nothing but the present.

Bump

as you grow up your face will change, your skin will wrinkle and darken, but your eyes will remain the same
so deep

most of your brain is still the same, your body is just there to help your brain move around

Your consciousness is an infomorph that runs on your brain. If I hooked you up to a giant computer, migrated your consciousness onto it's hardware, and then killed your human body, you wouldn't notice. You'd still be you, too. You think, therefore you are.

That's basically what's happening to you right now, only less extreme. The atoms that made up your 5 year old body still exist, but they aren't you because they no longer encode the infomorph that is your mind.

You're the software. Your brain is the hardware.

the self is an illusion in the first place

you are not your cells or atoms, you are the structure of emergent properties that rides the cells or atoms through time, like the crest of a wave.

this, one million times this.

You are a pattern. Regardless of the material, as long as the pattern remains, you will exist.

are neurons also replaced? how is memory possible if so?

All I can tell you: memory is fuzzy and unreliable
Neurons get purged

answer

this whole thread is why Veeky Forums needs to get their heads out of their asses and read philosophy

>this whole thread is why Veeky Forums needs to get their heads out of their asses and read philosophy
Why philosophy when neuroscience and biology can tell you the same
Also what do you mean when you say philosophy? Gud stuff or Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums tier philosophy?

>Whole family will dis-own you if you fail class

DO TEST NOW

neuroscience and biology work just aswell, yes

mathematics just dosent answer everything

>Fail test! You lose everything!
>Animistic panic instincts kick in

what is this hot new meme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow

Only the coolest psychologist ever, way better than Freud. "He stressed the importance of focusing on the positive qualities in people, as opposed to treating them as a "bag of symptoms."

I was hoping you could give me some good contemporary philosophy
Something along the lines of Stuart Kauffman but less repetitive

Neurons, the Brain Cells are never replaced as you age.

Neurons can die in dementia, strokes & head injuries.

Interesting question

If we are simply emergent systems, and the universe goes on forever, then we would have a form of eternal life, even through death. Because eventually we would emerge again.

cool man
read sam harris work on the self desu

Thanks it means a lot to me

If you can't get respect or belonging anywhere, you can love your self, respect your self, etc.... just a thought. But then you have to mentally reject out of society in a way.

>continuing
When Brain Cells die, they are never replaced. But the amount decrease very slowly through our lives.

The Brain cell amount drop faster in dementia, schizophrenia, strokes & head injuries.

intradesting

Yep, but we all urge to be a part of society so it's a catch 22 of sorts.

>Veeky Forums tries anything thats not math

the pain is too deep my friend I am broken inside

Oh, dear ship of Theseus, it's has been a long time since the last time I've heard of you, how have you been? Did you got all your parts changed again?