Is Mountain Goats worth listening? I know that we are on Veeky Forums not /mu/...

Is Mountain Goats worth listening? I know that we are on Veeky Forums not /mu/, but a lot of people say that band have best lyrics in music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GFm_jjcnrXg
youtube.com/watch?v=Tt19Vp9uBiQ&feature=youtu.be&t=230
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know about best, but they have great lyrics indeed. Listen to All Hail West Texas if you're into lo-fi/singer-songwriter and listen to Tallahassee for their studio band sound. Those 2 albums are considered their best

No.

There is not a *single* neutral milk hotel wannabe that isn't a massive cringefest

No Children is my favorite kind of book, actually. It's the kind of dark humor of the Chuck Palahniuk books. Haven't listened to anything else from them, though.

i think they're/he's pretty good and i like the lyrics
like this, for example, i think is nice
youtube.com/watch?v=GFm_jjcnrXg

/thread

At least copycats like arcade fire had pop crafting merit, shit like mountain goats were whiny pseuds. The guy was kicked out of his dad's house and he started bitching about how hard his life was after. Shit as fuck band. If someone likes them, 99℅ chance they're a pseud

Why don't you read the book yer man wrote?

>If someone likes them, 99℅ chance they're a pseud
stopped reading right there, way to lose any credibility your post had

>Stopped
>At the end of post
You okay, bud?

They don't. It's garbage nu-male bullshit.

For the best lyrics in popular music (excluding lyric poetry) you should go for Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, and Patti Smith.

>not reading the empty space in the post
pleb

Mountain goats lyrics are good and interesting and creative.

They're also morbid and really really descriptive in a kind of very 2010's "I got a degree in music" kind of way. Judge for yourself what all it works out to, good or bad. I like them a lot, I think John Darnielle is a genius and if anyone has a right to sing songs about how friends destroy one another it's the guy who nearly killed himself and everyone he loves with substance abuse like forty times.

Reminder that Tallahassee > All Hail West Texas > Beat the Champ > Everything else

>romanticizing suicide and substance abuse
People who do this past age 13 need to grow up

This is exactly why I hate them

The guy is a self centered whiny douchebag that has never struggled a day in his life yet muh substance muh homelessness literal manchild

>The guy was kicked out of his dad's house and he started bitching about how hard his life was after.

Reductionist. His stepfather was hugely abusive and Darnielle coped by doing IV meth. His life is a good story.

Ok, grandad, anyone since the Berlin wall came down?

>Largely abusive

Yeah getting called names is sooo hard and rough

Wow I really feel for the guy now

romanticizing and finding the thematic appealing in art are two very different things.

>being such a fag that you like to listen to garbage pitchforkcore
Go buy another "experimental" album, goy

There's nothing romantic about it, dude. Listen to Tallahassee, it's about raw human anguish. It's not "romanticized," it's not watered down or sugared up, it's just an album about rough times.

Do you read about human suffering at all? How does the human suffering you read about differ from The Mountain Goats' depiction of struggle?

>The guy is a self centered whiny douchebag that has never struggled a day in his life yet muh substance muh homelessness literal manchild

I don't get why you think being homeless and addicted to meth doesn't represent struggle, especially when he struggled his way out of the situation and made a career in music.

Those damn 13 year olds doing coke and offing themselves all the time

Liking depressing (as opposed to tragic) art is a sign of weakness

>emotional abuse is not abuse
well memed, dumbass

Whatever dude, you don't have to like the guy but the music is good.

>There's no such thing as good, insightful music made after 1990
>I only listen to Steely Dan and ACDC because my taste is sooooooo gooooooooooooooood
>fuck i got some mustard on my Megadeth shirt

Please distinguish between the two in a way that is not wholly subjective, and would falsify the following statement

>Hamlet is so depressing, I love it

>liking Bob Dylan makes you a dadrocker
we're hitting contrarian levels that shouldn't even be possible

>implying discussion of art can ever be objective

Literally name a band you like that was formed after 2000AD

>Liking oranges (as opposed to grapefruit) is a sign of weakness

Also, the theme of suicide and self destruction isn't inherently depressing. Not everyone is Hemmingway.

>It's impossible to define terms because art is perceived subjectively

None, m8. I don't listen to rock music
t. angsty 20something

Kill yourself wimp

Why does he have to like recent music? Nobody gets dismissed because they don't like any modern novels

>t. trump voter who thinks mental illness is a meme

>t. angsty 20something

On Veeky Forums of all places!?

Based on the fact that you don't listen to music in the current era, where music is expanding a into a thousand different genres, spurred by the internet into a sort of Cambrian Explosion, I'm going to say you are not qualified to discuss music, and probably literature too, since an unwillingness to discover new ideas speaks to a mind so fossilized as to be functionally unable to grasp higher-order concepts.

I bet you haven't had a hard day in your entire life.

No I haven't since I'm great and strong minded everything is easy

Music's blowing up right now. Every day there's new talent making something new, and the distribution systems are making sure a wider range of people are actually getting to make a career from music now. There's so much more variety in new music than new books, since the market of readers is shrinking by the day.

lel look at this cuck
>dude why don't you want to listen to indie/hip hop/IDM?
You're attacking me based on the false assumption that I am a "wrong generation" kid, lmao

>variety = quality
This "variety" is mostly surface-level.

The fact that you present all of modern music in three genres is how I know you were actually born in the wrong generation. In 1960 the radio would've told you what your tastes were and I'm sure you would've appreciated the convenience.

Mostly. But it's a primordial soup and every so often some good things bubble up.

A larger crop in a bad year still makes inferior wine than a small crop in a good year.

>taking music this seriously
Are you autistic? I literally just recommended a few musicians who are a few decades old, and then you sperg out because you think I'm one of the meme people you and your buddies on /r/lewronggeneration like to make fun of. I recommended them because they are great artists. Would you get buttmad if I said that Bach was my favorite composer because I'm ignoring contemporary classical?

music != wine. Analogy is always suspect.

>fuck i can't think of any rebuttal i better call him autistic

You think in memes.

One of the worst threads I've ever seen here.

best lyricist is Nick Drake, hands down

All musicians still operate in the same cultural and market environment. If the conditions in the current era isn't motivating or inspiring musicians to make music as well as in the past at this base then it spoils the entire medium. Hence the analogy with crops and the weather

Veeky Forums has always collectively had the worst taste in music imaginable. and the best part is most of them know it and despise each other for it.

Unfortunately for you, the best lyrics were written by the dad of kazik staszewski in Polish.

>not Joanna Newsom
Plens

MY STONE WALL ITS ON DOG GAZE DUCT TAPE TO THE CEILING STUCCO CAVE MAKE ME ILLI OK OK FEEL ME

>being called names is abuse

Please leave

The pic you used says all you need to know

If you want an album with genuinely high quality lyrics, check out Streethawk: A Seduction by Destroyer

>Steely Dan
Not him, but SD is actually a great band with wry Veeky Forumserate lyrics

I dismiss all people that hate new books but haven't actually read anything contemporary.

What do you do when Xiu Xiu isn't enough?
Shitpost on Veeky Forums

That was the last sentence you retard

That was funny

Only if you are like this faggot:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tt19Vp9uBiQ&feature=youtu.be&t=230

on topic, anyone read the book darnielle wrote? wolf in white van

SHE SHOOT PUSSY THROUGH YOUR CHEST YOU
DIE

Anyone loves Lucksmiths here?

this

yes they are good. For serious.

Only patrician post in the whole thread

I can't stand his music but this book was decent.