wow what a new and exciting statement

This was a really good post.

yeah I didnt really think it out. I just wanted to share a thought

This was a really good thought

Don't you mean book?

Novel is to film as book is to movie.

what's a flick?

a rag

it made me want to punch his shrieking sister in the face.

a paper

Pretty true desu~

I'm about to finish. I find it dropped off a bit after his crazed Christian phase. The priest's sermon was unbelievably written. Shit, he almost had me convinced for a while.

agreed that whole sermon section got me sweating and I hadn't been to church for years when I first read portrait, and I'm protestant too

Okay I just finished it. I'm struck by Stephen's polar perspectives on life. Because of his artistic epiphany he finds cause to abandon his religious zeal altogether. He finds it impossible to balance Catholicism and art, as if the two are mutually exclusive.

Dubliners is much better desu

a pageturner

This was a really good reply.

I had no clue what the fuck was going on half the time.

Struck the fear of God into me though thats for sure.

a potboiler

This
Portrait seems to stick out so much in Joyce's work, the other three all seem to be continued stylistic developments of the same idea

There could be neither luck nor grace, Dante said, in a house where there is no respect for the pastors of the church.

Mr Dedalus threw his knife and fork noisily on his plate.

Respect! he said. Is it for Billy with the lip or for the tub of guts up in Armagh? Respect!

Princes of the church, said Mr Casey with slow scorn.

Lord Leitrim's coachman, yes, said Mr Dedalus.

They are the Lord's anointed, Dante said. They are an honour to their country.

What a fucking knacker.

>The priest's sermon was unbelievably written. Shit, he almost had me convinced for a while.

I don't think I've ever wanted to believe in Satan more, just so I could find salvation from him.